MP3 Player

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by McDuck, Mar 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daring

Daring Moderator

OK here goes. My MP3 player just went to the land of all good MP3 players (my fault, we'll avoid the whole ugly affair), and I am in need of a new one. Music will be the primary purpose, but photo/video would be a plus. Specs below.

Storage: 20G+
    Battery Life: 8+ Audio, 4+ Video (if applicable)
    Weight/Size: About the same as Axim X50 or smaller
    Price: $300-$350

My current front runners:
    Apple iPod Video 30G
    Archos gMini 402

Let me be clear about three things:

1. I am not opposed to an audio only device as long as it provides me something over the video equivilent (more storage, longer battery life), etc.

2. Please no impassioned responses about xxx is best. I could care less about being one of the club. Convince me WHY that product is best. Personal experiences good and bad are appreciated (and if you have nothing bad to say about your product you're not demanding enough).

3. I am not conviced that any one interface is the end all be all of interfaces. The click wheel on the iPod is great, however several others have worked just as well for me.

Thanks in advance.

2. Daniel325i

Daniel325i Pen Pal - Newbie

I wasn't going to say anything assuming someone with more knowledge was going to jump in as I don't have much when it comes to mp3 players...

I'm somewhat fond of iPods (though, I don't have one and have only been in the market for one). The nice thing about them for me is that they are convenient in size, have a lot of space, come in many variations, look good and the convenience of being able to hook it up to my car stereo, and charge it, and switch through songs using my car deck is nice. All of a sudden I have 30gb or 60gb or 4gb or however much music right at my finger tips in my car. And when I get out of the car, the iPod would be charged and now i'd be on the go again with all my music.

I think thats just pretty neat, there arent any other manufacturers that I know of that have this option. My biggest concern is they use soft plastic over there screens and wont really help you much if it gets ruined so a case or protector of some sort is a must. This could be a pretty big draw back.

But I spend a lot of time in my car, and being able to hook up 30gb of music whenever I got in would be a nice thing. Lots of newer cars will be have radios with iPod support already, like BMW, Mini, Mercedes, Infiniti, volvo, audi, VW, Nissan, Scion, acura, honda and, if you have a lot of money, ferrari! Only about half those cars are compatible now, but in the future this may become a norm perhaps? Perhaps other mp3 manufactuers see this as a plus and will be doing the same thing?

You probably know more about this stuff than I do, but, thats just my .02$. If I wasn't in the market for a notebook and didn't want to get some goodies for my car, I'd probably be buying a 60gb iPod, or atleast be doing some heavy research right now.

*edit*
    Sorry to hear about your last mp3 player. I went to use my mini disc player the other day to find that it was broken and was quite disapointed. I don't know if it was anyones fault or it just died from old age. But it definately sucks when something like that breaks.

Good luck in your search!

3. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

One Word: Nano!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Daniel325i

Nano is the one that really got me interested. The screen issue worries me however (getting sandpaper like scratches after putting them in empty cotton pockets). But I guess with a screen protector or case it'd be fine.

5. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Also they have all sorts of gel-like covers you can buy. You can always use a screen protector as you mentioned. Best of all though is the polish they sell for iPods. It eliminates all of the minor surface scratches and restores the clarity to look brand new.

6. Daniel325i

I hadn't heard about that, sounds cool. They are neat. I have a friend that uses an palm device to listen to music and watch movies, which is neat due to the touch screen and the screen is larger. I'm not sure what battery life that had or how much it cost (I imagine a bit more), but, that may be another option?

7. Daring

Daring Moderator

I really felt that I was going to go with the Archos as it supports "PlaysForSure" which as it turns out is about as descriptive as "owns a car". There are several different flavors. For example if you see a "PlaysForSure" logo on your product it means they support at least one of 4 (audio download, audio subscription, video download, video subscription) PlaysForSure options. If the Archos had supported the audio subscription it would have been interesting as I don't believe Apple has any such offering. After a terrible time on the phone (they have since updated their website), I found they don't support it either.

The Nano is very appealing due to its size, however 4G just isn't enough. I am on the road 2-4 hours/day and I never know just what mood I'll be in. If they could up it to 10G, I'd be in. BTW, the gel covers are called "Nano Tubes". Cute.

I had seriously considered getting a large capacity CF card for my PPC and using that. However a 4G CF card costs about the same as the Nano and I still only have 4G. Also, there are no programs that work well without the stylus. A terrible shortcoming when driving a car.

In the end it looks like it will be the new iPod. BTW, I know that I am the only person in the whole universe that doesn't care much for iTunes, but I don't. There are some excellent alternative interfaces including a freeware tool called "SharePod" that does not require installation on the host machine. It just runs off the iPod drive.

8. Daniel325i

I'm not a fan of iTunes either. I have it on my computer I believe, I think it actually came with my MD player. I'm not fond of it and the sony interface that came w/ my MD player was even worse, very buggy. It's good to know there are other options if I end up with an iPod.

I'll have to look into PlaysForSure, I haven't ever heard of it.

9. cochise

cochise Pen Pal - Newbie

Definatly go with the IPod. But actually I would wait a little, there has been word that Apple is going to release a new, better product on April 3rd, as it seems you guys already know. Apple really has the best MP3 players out there...no reason to deal with cheaper ones made by others.

10. McDuck

McDuck Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't recommend Ipod's at all. I just don't like them.
    Considering you can get 4 times the battery life out of a Creative model, I see ipods as a waste of money.

May I suggest the Creative Muvo Micro :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.