Mozilla Firefox 3.5 V.S. Internet Explorer 8

Discussion in 'Software' started by svm, Dec 27, 2009.

?

Which Web Browser do you primarily use on your laptop/tablet PC?

1. Internet Explorer

9 vote(s)
    12.0%
  2. Mozilla Firefox

49 vote(s)
    65.3%
  3. Google Chrome

16 vote(s)
    21.3%
  4. Opera

9 vote(s)
    12.0%
  5. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Fishface

Fishface Scribbler - Standard Member

Firefox, because it has Zotero as a plugin, which is my primary PDF organization software.

Firefox is a crappy browser that loses to all the others, until you've found a plugin that you can't live without, after which you're stuck with it for life and nothing else compares.

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'd been using Firefox, and also Minefield (the Firefox pre-alphas).

However, I recently discovered the dev channel versions of Chrome better support the TIP, and also discovered the ChromeTouch extension (a Grab&Drag replacement), which means that all of a sudden Chrome fits my needs a whole lot better, which means I've been testing it for the past few days and it's working pretty well so far. I just wish that the Adblock extensions for it would prevent ads from downloading instead of preventing ads from displaying.

3. cacinok

cacinok Pen Pal - Newbie

i primarily use FF, but i also have ie8, chrome and opera. i like opera, but it is not as intuitive or easy to use - for example, trying to get a mass downloader to work has proven a challenge. chrome has been a little buggy and the lack of extensions has been annoying, but they're rolling them out quicker now. ie8 runs sloooooooow.

i'm perfectly happy w/ FF, but if you open and close a lot of tabs it does not release the memory. i generally do not turn my tablet off, just hibernate it, or FF for days up to a week or two. FF begins to use mass amounts of memory and if i close it and restart it back to where i left off, using session manager, it takes up a lot less memory, sometimes as much as 50% less.

4. aretzios

aretzios Scribbler - Standard Member

I use Firefox simply because of certain add-ons, not because the browser is anything spectacular. Be aware that Firefox uses a lot of resources and makes laptops run hotter because of this.

5. Whiteglue

Whiteglue Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey how are we all doin:)
    I normally use Firefox it is much faster than when i have to use IE8. I wish I could find the panning hand in IE8 perhaps i would use it more. Its just not there and Microsoft support and the web haven't been able to help ( sigh ) life can be so cruel sometimes (smile) I have also just begun trying Opera and it is much more light weight I like they pen moments better :)

Thanks

6. RazzNuts

RazzNuts Scribbler - Standard Member

It is there. I've replied to your question Your thread

Btw I've just figured that I can't find panning hand on my XP IE8 (non-tablet edition), but it is there on my Vista/7 Installation. Since you were asking on Windows 7 forum, so it supposed to be available on your IE8.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. Adrien

Adrien Pen Pal - Newbie

I believe no Opera user will deny that the main problem they will often encounter when using Opera is the site compatibility. Opera is strictly following W3C standard, whereas unfortunately not all webdevs do that. Not to mention Opera user base wasn't that large in the past, so many webdev didn't bother to check whether their site works on Opera.

8. RazzNuts

RazzNuts Scribbler - Standard Member

Umm.. any explanation why part of my post got copy-pasted into your post @Adrien?

or perhaps @tabbedout who has done the editing?

9. jaydeee

jaydeee Pen Pal - Newbie

chrome on my tablet!

with tablet every space counts, less board much better :)

10. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For me personally, the reason I stopped using Firefox isn't because it's a bad browser, but because it's a sluggish memory hog if you like to keep it open in the background for a while.

One of my tablets only has 1.5GB, so an app that's taking 700MB of RAM at times won't work for me.