Moving away from Surface, looking for EMR

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by RazorblisS, Sep 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RazorblisS

RazorblisS Pen Pal - Newbie

What material is the panel of the Samsung Galaxy Book 12?
    Don't quote me on that, at times the pen felt pretty nice, as I mentioned I returned the device as I prefer a full blown window experience, even if it's worse for tablet use.The moment I tried to download something, and had to mess with workarounds to watch a simple movie, not even mentioning adding subtitles It was a no go for me. If it was a Mac sure, I might have bothered finding workarounds, but a damn iPad, and it's locked down appstore, no thanks..

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

The Cintiq 27 has a better pressure curve. That's the end of the goodness.

Screen is horrid in resolution. Parallax and offset the more you move from the center are pathetic.
    Latency well, is still old school.
    Wacom got better with the new Pro line, the Cintiq 27 I still remember the nightmare it was those two months with it.

Also, if I have to judge by the review from Lisa of the Dell xps 15 2 in 1, the latest Microsoft pen works better than Wacom aes 2.0 and it's horrific jitter.

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Actually I find the Ink Pen subpar to the 2017 Pen from a performance standpoint. I find the pressure output better on the Surface Pen, and there's also the issue with the hovering speed still effecting the ink pen. I've found with the 2017 Pro......using the Pro 3/4 Pens or the Ink pen the hovering speed/pen polling frequency is only faster in the center of the screen. Once you get to the edges the hovering response slows considerably, back to old Ntrig/Pro 3 levels. But with the 2017 Surface Pen, the hovering speed is fast over the entire screen. Microsoft added a special chip to the 2017 Pro called a Pixel Sense Accelerator that would improve pen performance. A reasonable assumption would be only the 2017 Surface Pen can take full advantage of that chip.

As far as the Galaxy Book's.....I'm still on the opinion its made of metal.....but other owners thinks its more Plastic/Fake metal coating.

4. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, I know the GB12 uses Wacom emr.
    But for a Wacom products user as I am, the feel is different.
    The screen isn't textured.
    But it only takes a couple of days to draw as fluently on it.
    As mentioned by @Azzart the difference is more in the pressure curve. It's not a big difference but it's a little bit less intuitive. I still have a few surprises when inking. Transition between thin strokes and thick strokes can be less progressive when drawing too fast. At least, for me.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  5. RazorblisS

RazorblisS Pen Pal - Newbie

The issue I have with all surface devices is not the pressure curve, as much as it's the slow jitter when drawing, as I trend to go through my line-art with stable slow strokes when finishing up, which end up jagged due to the N-trig tech. I didn't have this issue with my wacom based devices.
    I'm even using the plastic nib with my Surface's Wacom Ink, as I feel it requires less force to start drawing than the felt/rubber tips.

I'm currently chatting with Microsoft's support so that they can add 30 more days for testing, so I can buy the Surface 2017 pen and have the time to test it, but I feel like it'll be the same story :/

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I would have to concure. As much as I like the 2017 Pen & Pro combo, its still inferior to good old EMR. If you can get an extension on your return window, instead of buying the pen, are there any physical stores near you that would have the 2017 Pen as a floor demo, Like a Mediamarkt? Store devices rarely have any graphic software installed, but if you could bring your Surface to the store, it would be better to assess the new Pen in that capacity then to buy it outright.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    DRTigerlilly likes this.
  7. Azzart

Don't bother getting it, you'll be disappointed none the less. Even if it's indeed better than the Wacom Ink.

Your only real option is the Galaxy Book 12 (which I made a review last year on YouTube by the way) or a used Cintiq Companion 2.

8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ahh. There are a few of us out here. Many users don't notice the manufacturing shortcoming with N-Trig/AES which result in slow line bumps. But if you do happen to notice it...

Currently, there are precious few modern solutions, and every one of those comes with their own (small) issues. Nobody has made a perfect portable.

But Samsung comes pretty darned close for a reasonable price, (comparatively). For me, the top 3 deal breakers in descending order of important are...

1. The ability to draw a straight $*&#ing line without compromise.
    2. Screen size is big enough so that I don't feel claustrophobic.
    3. Reliable hardware that I can fix/maintain myself.

Getting those three things to co-exist inside the same machine is apparently on the level of trying to achieve nuclear fusion, or making cats sit in neat rows. If somebody can get those things right, I'm willing to put up with any number of other quirks. The Samsung Notebook 9 Pro is the poor man's Wacom MSP, has many fewer customer complaint reports and comes with a really nice keyboard built in. (In this scenario "Poor" means, "Wealthy".)

The main drawback I can see in your situation (wrt) the Notebook 9 Pro is that though it can fold back, it's not really a tablet. It's heavier and kind of awkward to use that way, I find. So I don't. But it's still great for drawing around town.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  9. Azzart

The Notebook 9 Pro is not available in Europe I fear. ;)

10. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

The native screen is glossy, but I suspect the lack of texture can be remedied with a matte screen protector.
    my current EMR device (which is long in the tooth) has a built in matte screen protector.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.