Moving away from Surface, looking for EMR

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by RazorblisS, Sep 13, 2018.

1. RazorblisS

RazorblisS Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had an Intos 4 Medium, then swithced to Cintiq 24HD and lately 27qhd, this is my main device and it's connected to a beefy ryzen 1080 PC, so at home I'll be using that.

Always wanted a mobile device to sketch on around town and breaks at work (working in IT). Initially I've had a Samsung Note 10.1 2014 edition, but the android software and it's dated hardware took its toll, in 2016 it died out of some hardware issue with the backlight. I didn't bother fixing it and got a second hand Surface Pro 2, which Microsoft replaced with a 3, due to warranty issues despite claiming they have 2 to provide me with. Then it got replaced with a 4, I hated the devices for the year or two I used it for. I was able to resell the SP4 at a profit in the end, so there's that. It was a great tablet, but it felt off for drawing

Then I went for a Surface book, the pen issues sure should be due to the lack of a dedicated graphics card, right? So a SB1 with DGPU and 8 GB ram.. same thing, lag in Photoshop and you're forced to use smoothing which ends up affecting short/small strokes, induces tapering, etc. Never needed that with my Wacom 27qhd or Intuos, or even the samsung note 10.1. Resold the SB1 for the same price I got it (I buy second hand, and fish for deals, so no real loss so far).

Then I decided to get a second hand Ipad pro 10.5 with pen, It felt kind of better, but I felt like the same issue is present, just more smoothing is at work, and my lines while beautiful didn't feel smooth as my Wacom device. Resold it week after due to how limited the whole apple ecosystem is, and purchased a Surface pro 2017, hoping their latest Surface pen tech will be better, it was the i5 model with 128 ssd and 8gb ram. The device is awesome, but the pen has the same issues, only lags a bit less. But when I draw I see that my strokes are affected by the N-trig matrix underneath. I'll be returning it, now that I've decided im done with Microsoft and their Surface devices, atleast for now.

So here I am, wondering what are my Wacom based options? I want something around 12-13 inch, preferably a tablet, light, not more than kilo and a half at most. Not sure if I need 4 or 8gb of ram, but I want it to be fast, so i5 or faster processor.

1. What is your budget?
    ~1000 euro
    2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Yes if in perfect/warranty condition
    3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    A Mobile tablet would be best.
    4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    12 to 14-inches
    5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    European union, Bulgaria, preferably from EU, so that there's no import fees.
    6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    I've tested IPAD and Surface, and dislike both.
    7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    atleast 3 hours heavy use
    8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Drawing(primarily), watching movies and some light PC gaming (rarely)
    9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Windows
    10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Photoshop, Clip Studio Paint
    11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    Not the main focus, but maybe WoW, Hots, etc.
    12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    n/a

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    above HD/QHD
    2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    Outside and indoors

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    Wacom EMR, as it seems I can't get used to N-trig after years of trying
    Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    not sure 4GB will be enough, so around 8gb ram, atleast 128gb SSD
    2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    Dont care, as it'll be used as standalone device, and I'm using cloud services like Google Drive/OneDrive heavily.

I've been lurking here, so it seems the consensus is that a Samsung Galaxy Book 12 is what you guys will recommend me, I'm worried it's not fanless, and is with a worse build quality than Surface (and I'm already disapointed with Surface's QA) 7th gen processor, and etc.. I'm just not certain if there's anything else I might be missing, and if I'll benefit from 8gb Ram for Photoshop.
    Pic related is what I'd like my new device to not have....

I'm also concerned there might be a refresh soon with the 8th gen i5 processor.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Unfortunately EMR devices are a rarity, which pretty much leaves you as you've surmised with the Samsung Galaxy Book 12 or the Samsung Notebook 9 Pro/Pen models (360 hinge type design).

The other device would be out of your price point...the HP Zbook X2.

darkmagistric likes this.
  3. RazorblisS

Is a Galaxy Book 12 with 8gb ram 256 ssd, Open box (very good and 2 year warranty from Amazon Warehouse deals) for 900 euro bad deal?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Have you returned the 2017 Surface yet?

If not......which Pen are you using? I got the 2017 Surface in July......but since I already had plenty of Pro 3/4 Pens.....I didn't bother picking up the new Surface Pen (the one without the pen clip)....and I was rather underwhelmed with the pen performance. However when I got the Surface GO last month....I sprung for the newer Surface Pen. And using the new pen.....made quite a difference on the 2017 Pro (the Go was another story). The hovering Speed/Pen responsiveness is way faster with the new pen. Although I find the overall experience with the new Pen much preferable to the Pro 4 pen....its still not up to EMR Levels......that much is definitely still the case (to me anyway)

Otherwise....the Samsung Devices.....the Galaxy Book 10.6 and Galaxy Book 12, Samsung Notebook 9 Pro, and the HP Zbook X2 are your best and only EMR bets at the moment.

I have the Galaxy Book 10.6, its the Cheapest and Weakest of the 4 options.....only 4GB of Ram and Core M3....but the Pen experience is great. And it preforms quite well too. Photoshop can be a bit slow on it....but CSP runs flawlessly on it. If you really need a more powerful overall device I would suggest the other options with Core i5's/i7s options, but if your workflow can make do using an iPad Pro.....(which is quite weak comparatively) then even the Book 10.6 might suit you well.

5. RazorblisS

@darkmagistric
    I haven't returned it yet, but have to in the next few days as it'll run out of the return frame. The pen I'm using is the Wacom Ink pen, which supposedly has the same performance as the 2017 pen minus the tilt. I'd prefer a larger tablet as 10 inch is too cramped for a widnows device IMO
    What material is the outside of the Galaxy Book 12/10? Is it metal, or plastic?

6. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello. I am a die hard Wacom user and, as you, was looking for a very portable solution.
    I already have a cintiq companion 1st genwhich is great but very heavy and not so convenient for drawing on the go outside.
    I bought a 8 Go / 256 Go galaxy book 12 at the end of June and I am very very happy with it.
    Very light. The drawing experience, while a bit different from Wacom, is really enjoyable and smooth.
    I can't attest about reliability since it's not old enough. But I used it whole days during this very hot summer in France and didn't have any issues. There's a fan, yes, but you really don't notice it.

7. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Let's say though that if even the iPad Pro didn't do with its pixel perfect pen, I doubt the Galaxy Book can feel any better than that. Especially with Photoshop.

8. DRTigerlilly

It's more about the feel that I think he's become accustomed to and plastic on glass can be disconcerting.

a "Felt tip" Wacom nib on a matte screen, is bliss:)

@ticol the Samsung Galaxy Book 12 IS Wacom

@RazorblisS in the US Amazon that spec configuration new w/ 1 yr warranty is about USD $849 about €727, but tech tends to be more expensive in Europe.

9. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

He wrote:
    "Then I decided to get a second hand Ipad pro 10.5 with pen, It felt kind of better, but I felt like the same issue [of the Surface Pro 4/Book] is present, just more smoothing is at work, and my lines whilebeautiful didn't feel smooth as my Wacomdevice"

If the iPad Pro (which I deem fairly better than the Cintiq 27) doesn't do the trick and feel like the Surface, I honestly can't see how the emr of the Galaxy Book (which I also deem better than the Cintiq 27) can do the magic then. ;)

Edit:
    I'm also not a big fan of the plastic over glass of the iPad (though I used that on the Surface Book 2) and I prefer the rubber covered nibs of the Galaxy Book, but it doesn't take much time to get used drawing on a different surface.

10. DRTigerlilly

I'm not sure that's a popular opinion.

Most seem to think Wacom Pro>Wacom Consumer> iPad Pro>Wacom AES>MPP

stoneseeker likes this.