Movie Battery Test - Flight Mode

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by djdurance, Nov 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djdurance

djdurance Pen Pal - Newbie

One thing that I was interested in finding out was how long you can go watching movies while on the plane (I fly trans-pacific flights often).

SETUP:

- 40% Brightness (very good for darkish room, like plane)
    - Headphones in
    - No Cover attached
    - Airplane mode "ON"

- Man of Steel Video, 720P
    - MP4 File
    - 858kbps video
    - 93kbps audio (stereo)
    - 952kbps total bitrate

Rundown:

9:28 Minutes

Overall - very solid results. I will try it again with a 1080p @ 2mbps video and see what the results are.

Osiris, thierryb, Mesosphere and 2 others like this.
  2. RobWu

RobWu Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm also very interested in watching video with services like Netflix. That's full blown Metro apps and heavy WiFi usage.

With the SP1 I get appr. 3,5 hours of video like this, and am very curious how much is added with the SP2.

thanks for the tests! :)

3. djdurance

4. demandarin

demandarin Scribbler - Standard Member

Which device is this?

5. JimB

JimB Scribbler - Standard Member

Has to be SP2, no way SP1 would do that.

6. DragonGamer

DragonGamer Pen Pal - Newbie

There's also the Surface 2, lol
    If it's the SP2 it'd be interesting to know what player you used!

7. djdurance

Sorry! I should have clarified.... This is SP2 running MODERN Video app. Anandtech recently did a great article demonstrating how much more efficient this is a playing back video than other options including WMP, WMPC, and VLC.

Reran test using the exact same conditions noted above (40% brightness, airplane mode) using 1080p MP4 File
    Video Bit Rate: 2011kbps
    Audio Bit Rate: 93kbps
    Total Bit Rate: 2105kbps

Rundown Results: 8:40

Again - very reasonable results. In a darkish room or airplane I think its reasonable to get around 9.5 hours of Video. If I have a chance I'll run this down @70% brightness to see what this looks like. My guess is that we will be more in the 7 hours timeframe.

8. ben555

ben555 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I wonder how you got 8:40 mins non stop videos? A test in Anandtech reposts it has 483 mins maximum.
    Can you try other players like KMplayer, VLC, or windows media players?
    How many gb of ram on your SP2?
    I used KM player and I only got 5 hours for 720p mkv playback.
    Even online web surfing, I only have about 6 hours. I have 8gb ram model and I am thinking is my SP2 defected.
    Thanks,

9. RobWu

RobWu Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi ben,

The difference with Anadtech is about 30 min., and can be a lot of things. Running services, display brightness, wifi on/off etc.

If you had a look at the Anandtech article: AnandTech | Windows 8.1 Battery Life Investigation: 1080p Video Playback you would see the Modern Video app is the one to use when looking at battery life.
    All desktop apps are not optimized for this, and will eat away batterylife much more quickly.

Looking at batterylife, it will take some charges/decharges for your battery to 'settle' and see more consistent values. At least that was the case for me.
    With my SP1 I get appr. 4,5 hours of light use, add another hour when using it for Music play with the screen/wifi off.
    Also, in the beginning the battery was draining quickly because of the novelty of using it, and all the software installs en updates flying around.
    When that settled a bit, I saw the batterylife go up again ;-)

Looking at the 8Gb of RAM, one could wonder if that sips a little bit more use than 4Gb, but not hours.
    I don't think your SP2 is defective, just give it another couple of charges/decharges, and be sure nothing else is running in the background. There are some threads on optimizing your SP2 regarding services and alike.

have fun!

rob