Mouse pointer stuck on upper left corner?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by CF77, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. w1nter

w1nter Pen Pal - Newbie

oh i forgot to say that you need to disable mousepad first then flip the R1E to tablet mode. Also make sure you have the latest tablet driver from wacom

2. dipp02

dipp02 Pen Pal - Newbie

this past weekend i had a bios update.. i am not sure if that fixed it.

i will test it and see what happens...

3. Binzelli

Binzelli Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys,

After about 6 months of discussions and sending my R1F back and forth to Asus support (3 times in total) and getting a used replacement with a non-functioning digitizer screen, I got a brand new replacement form the internet shop I bought the R1F from just two weeks ago.

Guess what happened to me on a trip 3000 miles away from home ? Mouse pointer got stuck again and started clicking for a couple of seconds.... Lowered screen brightness and it disappeared. This time it happened on battery power...

This really pisses me off ! I have been without my tablet for about 5 of the 6 months, I have "not been treated very well" (BIG quotation marks) by Asus support and I have spent numerous hours trying to solve the problem and rebuilding my system (software & settings) every single time the machine got back (and just recently my new R1E) and the problem is back.

Oh... wait... I didn't tell you about the other "slight problem" which surfaced about 2 minutes after the mose pointer got stuck for the first time...
    The whole machine simply froze up altogether... Just froze and couldn't do a thing. Saw the normal desktop, but Ctr-Alt-Del (keyboard and hotkey) didn't do a thing. Flicking the power switch didn't do a thing either. And here comes the best part: after holding the power switch for a few seconds to power down completely and rebooting the system, it said "please insert a bootable disk". Couldn't start it up anymore... On the next startup I got a Bios message that the disk was BAD. Starting up from Norton Ghost boot CD it just didn't see the physical disk at all...

Right.... I guess this was my last Asus... It is such a pitty, because I have so much enjoyed working with it the few days I have had it working... I had it envisaged as my primary PC because of the relatively big 13.3 inch screen, but I need reliability. I have had my 3 year old Dell Latitude as a backup all the time (and obviously needed that) but this is just too much for me.

I understand that hardware failures can occur sometimes, but this is ridiculous. Firstly the screen problem is widely documented but Asus us simply denying it to my knowledge and obviously has problems dealing with it in a good manner.
    Second IF there is a hardware problem then get your support act together ! The way I have been treated and the fact that in 6 months time I have only been able to work with the tablet a couple of weeks is not acceptable ! Not to mention the amount of time and effort it has cost me to troubleshoot and get the (repaired/replacement/new) systems all working again (installing all the software, getting the settings rightover and over again). And you would guess that with a 'track record' like mine, Asus would be stretching their efforts a bit more, but no. My supplier (the internet shop) has done most for me in getting things solved. That's a shame.

I have had 3 Dell laptops over the past couple of years (mostly 2 1/2 -3 years each) and on all of them I took a 3 year next business day onsite warranty and every time something happened (twice on three machines) the problem was solved, quickly and adequately ! One of the problems was a hard drive making a lot of noise and I was afraid it was going to go bad. They sent me a new drive and and picked up the old drive two days later to give me the opprotunity to save the data. Now that's what I call service and I don't mind paying for that !

Anyway... I am going t see if I can recover some of my important data from the harddisk which - 3000 miles away from home - I have obviously not been able to backup for some days.

Any suggestions how to recover would be greatly appreciated. The disk is no longer visible with a Norton Ghost recovery CD and BIOS says the disk is 'BAD'....

Any help....

4. dipp02

dipp02 Pen Pal - Newbie

BIOS update did not fix this for me.

So there is no permanant fix for this? its really annoying i have never seen this or heard aout this with any tablet.

5. Demaniac

Demaniac Pen Pal - Newbie

The weird thing is that this seems to be a problem on all R1E's, but Asus doesn't aknowledge the problem.. grrr.

6. aboveliquidice

aboveliquidice Pen Pal - Newbie

I have never experienced the problem on my R1E... and I use battery power every single day - I lowered my brightness right when I got my laptop - and I have never seen the issue.

~above~

7. Sawyer[R1e]

Sawyer[R1e] Pen Pal - Newbie

maybe i begin to understand..well.. when i bought the tablet pc , in the battery mode i had not problem..but after many days mouse gone crazy..so..if you buy the tablet and put the brightness low before to use it , the problem will not come..but if you use the tablet and don't put the right brightness the problem will come..

8. Sawyer[R1e]

lol i just called the italian asus assistance , i have tell em about our problems and that they don't fix but just format and send the pc with the same issue..he says that is not true and they can fix this problem ! i try to send em now my tablet and see if they fix it or not. what you think about that ?

9. Dayanim

Dayanim Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys,
    so been in touch with Asus people heres what ive found out:

Got my lappy through portable one and thorugh them spoke to someone at asus who said there is no fix but when repairing this is what they have been doign with some success:

We actually tried the same digitizer rework for the R1F model and it appeared to help for the R1E as well as replacing the entire screen for a different R1E customer.
    If the office is able to see the problem, I think they may try these things on their own.

I don't know if these things will solve it permanently, but at least it will hopefully make your laptop usable enough until we have a permanent solution.

I emailed the normal tech support email and got the "For the problem, please install the ASUS ATKOSD2 UTILITY for Vista 32bit"

My resposne (to which i recieved no reply) was this:

Hi Kitty,
    as im sure you can understand, im quite unimpressed with the quality of Auss technical support on this issue. After extensive research into a fix, I have found that this problem is quite common with the R1 series (including the R1F) and Asus has constantly failed to address this issue with their product. THis issue makes the R1 series computers unreliable and not of sound quality for retail. So far no tech support has been able to give me a fix to this problem which works (I have always had the most recent ATK0SD2 Utility installed) and so far as those who have seen this issue before have no prior understnading of it which is unacceptable in such a common and severe problem with this product. It appears Asus has a policy of denial seeing as the issue has been extensively discussed on the Asus technical support forums as well as in other places on the internet and there has been no comment from Asus on this problem. IF you need me to point it out, these are a few links to long standing forum threads where this problem and Asus's lack of technical support for the issue are discussed.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20070704142237296&board_id=3&model=R1F&SLanguage=en-us&page=2

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20070325073254030&board_id=3&model=R1F&SLanguage=en-us&page=3

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=7184&page=9

What I am asking for is a straight answer on the origin of this problem, and what options there are for a real solution, rather than just telling met o send it to tech support. Many people have had this issue dealt with by tech service either formatting the computer (even though it is obviously a hardware problem) to having the screen or touchpad replaced, both which have done nothing. I am close to approaching the office of fair trading and demanding a full refund for this faulty product. It is obvious that sending it in for repairs by a tech service which has no solution for the problem will be a complete waste of time.

I am in a position where I require a reliable computer on a highly regular basis and I do not have the time for multiple periods of not having the use of my laptop. I am more than happy to send my laptop in for service if the tech support are aware of the issue and of a solution to the issue. If it is just going to go back and forth while Asus deny this is an inherent problem in the R1 series I will have to demand a refund.

If you could PLEASE give me a straight answer about this problem and how it could be fixed I would be extremely thankful. I really REALLY like the R1E and were it not for this issue it would easily be my favorite convertible tablet laptop on the market. Its unreliability however make it more of a problem than a solution.

I look forward to your reply.

Marc

I suggest talking to whoever you bought your lappy through and getting thme to talk to their Asus people. more chance of getting a decent answer than on your own (on my own i didnt get very far).

The tech peopel here seem nice, helpful but also fairly ignorant about this problem. :(

10. Sawyer[R1e]

so u think that can help if we ask to change the monitor of that tablet ? that can fix it or can help to fix the problem for that kind of customers where lowing brightness dsn't work ?

nice mail ;) the italian assistance says that they CAN fix it .. but i think they don't know very much about this problem