Mouse pointer stuck on upper left corner?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by CF77, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Binzelli

Binzelli Pen Pal - Newbie

@ Mosche: very curious to find out what it is. Asus Holland told me they hadn't seen this before. So according to them not a known issue. But looking at the amount of posts on this forum and their own support forums, it must have registered somewhere at Asus...

@Chinese: hope the problem stays away and yu dont have to put the system to sleep all the time.

To quote scratch: It'd be nice to spend close to $2k and get something that functions properly for a change. My gameboy never crashes..

2. ericisshort

ericisshort Pen Pal - Newbie

I have had my computer since February or last year and have had this problem since March. Just to clarify I was always having the problem with the AC plugged in and/or with the brightness all the way up after being plugged in for over an hour or doing processor intensive activities. I called tech support, and surprise, surprise -- little to know help from ASUS, but I gave up on them pretty quickly. I didnt have the wear-with-all that other people like Binzelli do. Kudos, but I guess I never expected much service from an asian company.

On further investigation, I found that by unplugging my AC power, it would immediately stop. If I left the AC adapter unplugged for 30 minutes, it wouldnt return for another hour, but if left unplugged for 30 seconds, the problem would return almost immediately. I had an inkling that this was a heat related hardware failure so I bought a notebook cooling platform from newegg ($30 for a nice one). Since then I have not had a single problem in laptop mode. From time to time, I still have the problem in tablet mode but its not as common because it has a lot better ventilation. Now this is pure speculation on my part, but the tablet is never laying on a flat surface because I prefer it that way when I am writing. In doing so, the fans can cool the machine better.

I'm almost convinced that this is a heat related issue. The different AC source, lowering brightness, turning off, etc all point to that. I think that something inside is getting cooked and the heat is causing a short somewhere.

3. aboveliquidice

aboveliquidice Pen Pal - Newbie

I have not read the entire thread - but a classmate of mine has this issue on his R1F - but he simply hits the screen rotation button - a couple of times to get it back to the correct orientation - and his issue is gone.

Has anyone else found this to be an adequate fix???

~above~

4. hamud

hamud Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't have this problem since i don't use the full brightness (from control panel just but the brightness in balanced mode and hight performance to 99 instead of 100 )

5. Binzelli

Binzelli Pen Pal - Newbie

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

After my R1F has been back and forth to Asus support for three times (over a three month period, without ever having worked correctly), they decided to give me a new replacement machine.

Guess what ? The digitizer doesn't work AT ALL, even after a system restore. Oh and the machine wasn't new either. I guess they used it as a test machine and sent that to me. Now they're asking me to send the ('new') machine in for repair.... Hahaha.... Very funny....

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

6. KingBorn88

KingBorn88 Pen Pal - Newbie

Very bad news....:mad:

I've contacted an Italian asus r1e owner with the same problem, he sended the tablet to Asus Italy on Monday... i will keep you updated.

7. axsys

axsys Pen Pal - Newbie

i have vista and ubuntu setup as dual boot on my R1E and it only gets stuck in vista. to me this means that its a driver problem and not a hardware problem. feel free to download a live cd of ubuntu 7.10 and try it for yourself....if im going to just use my laptop in regular mode (not slate) i use ubuntu since it doesnt have as many problems

8. riverstrom

riverstrom Pen Pal - Newbie

That's interesting...
    Does the screen digitizer work on your Ubuntu setup? If it is working then it could very be a driver problem on Vista. If it's not, any digitizer malfunction probably won't affect your mouse behavior on Ubuntu (supposing the digitizer is the cause of the problem).

P.D.: I'm waiting for my Asus R1E to arrive. If I have this problem I will post any advances I make to nail down the cause.

9. axsys

axsys Pen Pal - Newbie

hmm, i didnt know that the digitizer is a possible cause of the problem. the digitizer doesnt work in ubuntu (which hopefully they fix soon) but that could possibly be the reason it doesnt have the problem. still, i think it seems more like a driver problem than hardware....

10. riverstrom

riverstrom Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, now that I had my Asus R1E for about a week I confirm I'm having the same problem. It happened 2 or 3 times, always running on batteries and with full LCD brightness. It dissapeared whenever I lowered the brightness or changing screen orientation. The screen orientation change seemed to fix it just for a moment, because wen I went back to portrait mode the cursor got stuck again. But lowering the brightness level just one step fixes it.

I made another discovery that points the cause of the problem towards the LCD fluorescent lamp or the inverter circuit. If you hover your pen (while having the brightness up) in some regions of the screen you will see that the cursor wobbles a bit even when the pen is perfectly static. The screen zone tends to be where less accuracy is present (screen borders), in my case it shows in the middle of the URL field of my Firefox browser (having the screen in landscape mode). That is: center of the screen in horizontal axis and about 70 pixels from the top of the screen in vertical axis.
    Now, keeping the pen in that position if you change the brightness levels down to lower levels you will see that wobble dissapear, and even the reported cursor position changes with the level selection. Pushing up the brightness brings the wobble back and moves again the cursor to the previous position.
    That sounds to me that the fluorescent lamp or the inverter circuit is interfering with the digitizer in some way, and the cursor getting stuck is just happening because at the highest level sometimes is too bad for the digitizer. Please try it for yourselves and reply if you can reproduce it.

P.S.: For anyone that is thinking in buying this model, this problem only appears in battery mode with full brightness, and lowering it one single step it gets fixed. I dont't regret buying this model and after (only) a week of use I would still recomend it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.