Mouse pointer stuck on upper left corner?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by CF77, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Binzelli

Binzelli Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I have used the "Sleep" option in Vista the first few days, but always had problems with devices not returning to normal operation after sleep mode, so I never used it again. Since then I have always used the full "Shut down" option when switching off the computer. I have never used hibernation either, so in my case it does not have anything to do with hibernation.

Just to update you on my issues with trying to get my R1F fixed: my last post was on november 2nd after the first time I got my PC back from Asus and the problem was still not fixed.

A week later, the PC was picked up for the second time and was returned within 3 days. I was amazed at the speed they returned it and due to that not very confident the problem had been solved. The accompanying letter from Asus mentioned something about a BIOS upgrade. When I started the computer, the pointer immediately jumped to the corner of the screen again ! I called Asus and was treated with the same attitude and tone of voice as the first time I had the machine returned without the problem solved. Again I could not get the manager on the phone. The manager "had not received" the mail I had sent him the week before and they only had one solution for the problem and that was to bring the PC in a third time. When I asked them what they had done, they said they did a BIOS upgrade. Funny thing is that I had already done an upgrade from 3.10 to 3.11, advised by Asus support by phone weeks before. When I checked the version it was 3.10. So they actually performed a DOWNgrade of the BIOS....

Asus suggested they would pick up the PC again and would label it as a "special case" to have "really good look at it now". There was no alternative, so I agreed to them picking it up. When I hadn't heard from them after a few days, I called to ask when they were going to pick up the PC and the operator could not find the RMA number in their systems.... The RMA must have been removed was his answer.... After this string of mistakes I again asked for the manager on the phone, but he refused to talk to me. A new RMA was made and the laptop was picked up the next day.

After all these "incredible" experiences with Asus support, I contacted my reseller and was finally treated in a way a customer should be treated. They asked me to mail them with everything that had happened and I received a reply the next day saying that this is really not done and that they would contact Asus support about this.

A week ago I was called by Asus that they could not find the problem (funny thing that every time I unplug the AC power, the pointer jumps to the corner of the screen on high brightness settings, but I have had to tell them that before...). They suggested to replace the screen and were going to do that. I haven't yet heard anything from them, but I am expecting it to be returned any time soon.

I'll keep you posted...

2. hamud

hamud Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks Binzelli and we wait your post!!

3. Moshe

Moshe Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm having the same pointer problem with my R1E (I LOVE it otherwise.)

-only when on battery power
    -more likely on high brightness

Ivan at P1 and someone at Asus are currently working on it with me. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

:eek:

4. Binzelli

Sounds like exactly the same problem !

It's such a shame, because the R1 otherwise is a great a great machine !

I still haven't got mine back from Asus support....

5. Moshe

Moshe Pen Pal - Newbie

It's the same problem on both R1F's and R1E's. ASUS is going to take mine to repair the problem, which they have said they can do. I hope so.

6. scratch

scratch Pen Pal - Newbie

having this problem on my R1F.. very annoying. Anyone else tried that patch they pointed mm4mm to?

7. Binzelli

@Mosche: any idea if Asus know HOW they are going to solve this problem ? Is it hardware ? Drivers ?

@Scratch: Asus support advised me to install the latest ATK drivers, which did not solve my problem. I don't know if it was the same as mm4mm's. I can't check because my R1F is still at Asus for repair... I do know that the driver ATKACPI.SYS I got is version 1043.2.31.100 (if that's any help)

Update on my repair: I phoned Asus support today and they are going to change the motherboard of my R1F as well (besides the screen they had already replaced, so that probably didn't solve the problem).... Problem is that they are waiting on the motherboatd to arrive... It's now almost 4 weeks in its third repair round...

8. scratch

scratch Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry, I meant to say this is happening on my R1E. So be warned, it's not unique to the R1F!

Sorry yours is still out for 'repair'. It'd be nice to spend close to $2k and get something that functions properly for a change. My gameboy never crashes.. ;)

9. Moshe

Moshe Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not versed at all in software issues.

However, my understanding from ASUS is that it is NOT a software/driver issue, but a hardware issue. (I don't know if it's the motherboard.)

I have been told that ASUS has a fix for the R1F. They may not have developed the fix before it was too late to address for the R1E (I don't know.)

Assuming the R1E is the same issue, I've been told that the fix is pretty simple.

I will be sending my R1E to ASUS next month (winter break) for repair. I'll let y'all know.
    :eek:

10. chinesefireball121

chinesefireball121 Scribbler - Standard Member

Just reporting quickly that I had the same problem this morning for the first time (on battery power, highest brightness setting). Sent it to sleep, woke it up again, no problems

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.