Mouse pointer stuck on upper left corner?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by CF77, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbricker

mbricker Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine was getting stuck in the lower right & "going crazy." Eventually Asus replaced my R1F--after days spent with tech support. They did it because the laptop was less than 30 days old, they said. I've had no problems on the new one, but my son is having the same problem on his. Says that switching from keyboard to tablet mode and back again usually gets his curson back, but it's a pain. Demalion's fix might work too, but we should not have to disable one thing to get another to work. Does Asus monitor this board? Is there any way we can get them to fix this?

2. hamud

hamud Pen Pal - Newbie

now after mr.Mephiles Reply !! we can say it a software problem ??

I will do a test for my laptop in a difference way and i will tell u what happen !!

3. Binzelli

Binzelli Pen Pal - Newbie

This problem is driving me nuts !!!

I have tried about everything, but te problem still remains. I cannot work with the machine on battery power unless I put the screen brightness to setting 8 (out of 15), so pretty useless in light conditions like your average office...

Getting pretty p***ed of with Asus too. Rang them twice. First operator told me to RMA straight away. Didn't know anything about the problem and didn't seem very bothered with a customer problem. Second guy told me to recalibrate the screen or do an OS restore and otherwise RMA the machine. Pretty useless too since this seems to be a known issue (judging by the amount of users reporting this problem).

"Solutions" I tried:

- Disabeling / Uninstalling / Reinstalling Synaptics touchpad
    - Uninstalling Logitech software / drivers for USB moue
    - Installig Wacom drivers v5.03-3
    - Uninstalling Wacom drivers 5.03-3
    - Without Wacom drivers
    - Reinstalling newest Wacom drivers 5.05-7
    - Uninstalling the Tablet screen and letting Windows rediscover it and install drivers
    - killing the wisptis process

I don't feel like formatting the hard disk or removing all user data and installed software and reinstalling again just because I have to RMA the machine for this problem.

ASUS... get your (support) act together....

Anyone ? Please....

4. hamud

hamud Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all ,,

Yesterday I used my laptop all the day in the battery mode and at the AC mode and i'm very happy to say that the problem not happen again to me !!

i'm really happy and I don'n know what is the solution exactly but I did these things before I test it ( i'm sure this is an software problem so if my solution doesn't work just recover your tablet to factory setting and test it before you install any thing )

1- I installed new intel driver for wireless from intel site

2- installed new intel VGA driver 15.6.1 not 15.6.0

3-intalled new Wacom Driver 5.07.7

4-make the brightness one step backward

5- I use Bios 3.10 as it come from factory

hope that help u to solved your problem :D

5. Binzelli

I give up...

- Installed VGA driver 15.6.1, rebooted > NOTHING
    - Installed Wacom 5.07-7, rebooted > NOTHING
    - Installed Intel Wireless 11.1.1.0, rebooted > NOTHING
    - Installed BIOS 311 > NOTHING

On AC power > FINE
    The moment I pull out the AC cord > PROBLEM
    Bring brightness down to level 8 (out of 15) > "SOLVED"

Tonight I'll try to do a restore to the original state I received the machine in.

Did I mention this problem is driving met nuts ??

6. hamud

hamud Pen Pal - Newbie

the last thing u can do now !! coby all your data to drive D and make a restore to drive C as it comes from factory and try the tablet befor you installe any thing and hope u will not face the problem !!

and tell me what happen after that !!

7. Binzelli

Seems like the only option left.

In a way I hope it's a hardware issue and the screen - or whatever the problem is - is replaced, because if it is a software problem it will be hell to find out what causes the problem and it will mean that I'll probably have to do without a certain piece of software. And I do not have any UNnecessary software on the machine....

I'll keep you posted

8. Binzelli

Been experimenting a bit more with this issue...

Went into Control Panel > Programs and Features. And in the Left pane clicked "Turn Windows features on or off" and deselected "Tablet PC Optional components" from the list. Takes a minute or two and after a restart the strange pointer behaviour is gone.
    But.... Input Panel, Windows Journal and Handwriting Recognition are also gone, so that's great with a tablet PC !! When selecting the option again (re-enabling Tablet PC Optional Components) the behaviour returns IMMEDIATELY after the components are reinstalled.

So I started by killing processes one-by-one to see if I could end the behaviour. When killing "Pen_Tablet.exe" (you first have to right click and select "perform administrative tasks" before you can end the process) the behaviour stopped. Pitty the pen didn't work anymore, so not really an option ;-)

Then I checked the version of Pen_Talet.exe located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. This was 5.0.3.3. I knew I had previously installed and uninstalled the 5.0.5.7 driver which I obtained from the Wacom site with no apparent effect, so I reinstalled 5.0.5.7

And now.... I have NOT seen the strange pointer behaviour for about an hour, while normally I would see it in 99% of the times I would unplug the AC cord and have the screen on max brightness....

Sooo.... SOLVED ?! I hope.

So it does look like a software issue with the Wacom pen_tablet.exe driver. Funny thing is that on my basic install which I backed up with Norton Ghost when I just had the machine for a couple of days (installation with OS and basic software like Office 2007, Virusscanner, Mindmanager) there is NO pen_tablet.exe in the Windows\system32 folder.

I know I installed the Wacom driver (5.0.3.3) after reading on this forum about missing eraser function and pressure sensitivity. This probably initiated the problem on my machine.

Funny thing is that I don't know which process/programme/driver handles pen functionality if the wacom drivers are NOT installed...

Anyway... seems like the issue is solved, which is supported by Hamud (todays post) not seeing the problem after (amongst others) installing the Wacom 5.0.5.7 driver. Only strange thing is that I also installed 5.0.5.7 this morning with no effect. Maybe killing the process before that solved the problem.

I'll keep you posted... Let's hope the problem stays away, because I really think this machine is currently the best tablet you can get !

*********** UPDATE: PROBLEM NOT SOLVED. SEE POST BELOW ****************

9. Binzelli

Been working for another hour or so charging the battery and when I disconnected the AC power to see if the pointer problem was still gone, it immediately reappeared.... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

The only difference between now and an hour ago when the problem seemed to have disappeared is the charge level of the batteries... NOTHING else changed

Strange... Software AND hardware problem ???

OK, from my previous post I know it must have something to do withe the Wacom pen_tablet driver, so I'll now focus on that to see if I can solve the issue....

I hate this machine... I love this machine... I hate this machine... I love this machine... I hate this machine... I love this machine...

10. hamud

hamud Pen Pal - Newbie

look Binzelli,

I think that u must restore your tablet to factory setting and try it before you install Wacom Driver or any think ,, don't hate your tablet coz the problem can solved and as i see asus R1 the best in the market now but wait and try to restore your tablet please !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.