Mouse pointer stuck on upper left corner?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by CF77, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iwant12

iwant12 Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone have the latest R1E with the Penryn(?) processor eg. Intel Core Duo 2 T9300 2.50GHz, and have this cursor problem? or better still not have the problem on these models?

Regards

2. DavidMcK

DavidMcK Pen Pal - Newbie

*Bump*

So anyway, I took the tablet into the AsusTek place, and they said they could fix it pretty easy. Then it took them 3 weeks to get the part in ... but once they had it, they called me, I took the laptop in and they had it fixed the next day. Gotta say, apart from the time it takes to get parts in, I'm very impressed with the Asus repair center in Australia.

It's fixed! To elaborate on the earlier poster's description of the problem, which I somewhat agree with, it's a electromagnetic interference (EMI) problem. To fix it, they add shielding to is the inverter circuit for the backlight. This is a high frequency switchmode power circuit - exactly the sort that spews out interference everywhere. So it's not so much a 'short' as described, just noise from a circuit interfering with the EM field the tablet uses to sense input. So cranking up the the LCD brightness makes the inverter work harder... and the effect gets worse.

This is the kind of thing that can be hard to test for in electronics design, and after reading into how finely tuned the EM field for the tablet PC input needs to be, I'm not really surprised faults like this occur. It's a bit disappointing Asus won't actively pursue fixing the problem, because it's a hardware design fault, and cannot be fixed with software updates etc. Oh well. If you're having this problem, get your laptop in and get it fixed! :D

3. Vandroiy

Vandroiy Pen Pal - Newbie

Just saying I have the same problem and am sending it in today.

In my case, the problem didn't annoy me too much within the first few months, when I was working mostly with power plugged in. But now, for some reason, the eraser fails at high voltages and - of course - I get the right-clicking in the corner at low voltages.

It's dependant on screen brightness, just as you guys said.

Let's see how ASUS Germany behaves on the known issue.

4. Vandroiy

Vandroiy Pen Pal - Newbie

Just wanted to report: I have it back, and I did not have the problem anymore so far. I tested it under the conditions that were usually pretty certain to cause trouble, but it's working fine.

Apparently, they replaced parts of the display. Or the whole display, I can't tell from the cryptic part numbers and didn't mark it.

Either way: They collected it from me, express shipped it to the repair people, did a full repair on the display (which probably isn't the most normal or cheapest job), tested it with a full battery rundown and shipped it back within one week.

Yup, that's one week from first mention of RMA to having it back, properly repaired. It was away for 6 days, 2 of which were on the weekend. I find that remarkable. Whatever bad I heard of ASUS Support, it doesn't seem to be true, at least here in Germany.

I'll leave a note if any problems appear. Other than that: Thumbs up. Good Job @ASUS. :)

5. kshepherd

kshepherd Pen Pal - Newbie

I would like to thank the people who have posted helpful suggestions, particularly about the brightness level - and I am hoping that it will help.

I have been having this problem for a while with my R1E. The mouse pointer will stick one centimetre diagonally from either the top left, or less commonly the bottom right corner of the screen. I have never run Windows on it ( Ubuntu, currently v8.04 ). It seems to only happen when the computer is hot. I have tried disabling the touchpad, to no effect ( the touchpad can get almost hot enough to burn your fingers, lucky I use a mouse ).
    I use the wacom touch screen, having recompiled the kernel drivers and configured the x.org file.

My use of Linux only proves that this is not a software driver error. If anyone from Asus "support" suggests that you change windows drivers, format your hard drive, or even send your computer on a two week RMA holiday, and if they say that they do not know about this problem, then they are either stupid or malicious. I suspect the latter, and that they hope to drive you away without having to do anything.

I note that this problem only seems to occur on high brightness, and/or in hot circumstances. I think that the reason that the support staff do not know of this problem is that Asus keeps them in a dark and cold cave somewhere, possibly on the Pakistan/Iraq border. I suggest to them that they sue for better working conditions, and then their laptops would screw up just like for the rest of us. :-(

6. ahmadzaidee

ahmadzaidee Pen Pal - Newbie

Temporary Solution
    Well! i am facing the same problem with USB mouse it sticks to any one of the corner of the screen even it behaves same with touchpad if mouse is attached, but here i didnt saw any solution of it. As i understand its a problem due to Vista Updates. During windows update an option driver CHIC - Input - USB Browser Mouse was installed and i unable to find how to uninstall it because i can see it only in update history. for temporary solution i remove stickiness by plug out the USB mouse by doing this i get back control on my mouse through touchpad

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  7. mm4mm

mm4mm Pen Pal - Newbie

my solution: got some copper ESD tape from ebay and wrapped carefully the inverter into copper foil and connected that to one grounding point. 20 minute job and NEVER had this occuring again.
    Disclaimer; if you screw this up you'll blow up ur laptop

8. dryice1049

dryice1049 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just wanted to put in my 2 cents in on fixs and for me the FIX!!! that I have used for the past few years with my R1f.

First, its a hardware problem. If you go into device manager and under human interface devices you can disable the wacom pen or usb input device(depends on whether or not you have the wacom driver installed as to what it will be called) this will turn off the digitizer so no pen but full brightness laptop with no sticky mouse. Put a shortcut in your quick launch and thats what I used for the past year when needed.

THE FIX
    Do this at your own risk its quite simple but make sure you discharge your static and are careful Work ssllooww.

Maybe 20min. to do this.

Second and most importantly the fix! I check these forums from time to time to see if anyone has come up with a fix and this time I heard inverter for the first time, which made perfect sense so I looked all over for a fix from that angle but no real go other than the post above this talking about esd tape. I googled esd tape and found about a million variations so where to go from there? Plus the blow your laptop up comment wasn't giving me the best mental pic.

To cut to the chase I removed the screen surround by removing the rubber screw covers with an awl/pick with the screen in tablet mode I removed the power cable and in my case both batteries I then attached a static bracelet to the open bay and wrist.
    Next the screws came out I used some gum eraser to lift them out once loose (but the screen surround is secure so you could flip it over for each screw just be ready for some searching).
    Now for the screen surround start by gently pulling next to the swivel on the surround the silver rim stays just the black part that faces you comes off I worked slowly from the swivel on both sides, and after some slow steady work it popped off.
    Next in the bottom right of the screen where the indicator lights are is the inverter well the indicator lights are part of it. There is one screw on the far right of the inverter holding it in place. First though I carefully removed the plug next to the screen swivel as to not damage the tiny wires and left the two wire(pink/white) plug attached. Now remove the screw you'll notice that there is already some plastic on the inverter orange for me.
    Now I took a anti static bag like you get when you buy computer components video card in my case, and cut a section of it as long as the inverter and wide enough to wrap it around at least once then with it wrapped around the inverter with the tag end up I replaced the plug, and then the screw now I aligned the tag end to the bottom of the screen for securing with electrical tape 'making sure not to cover the indicator lights' I taped the static wrap down.
    Finally I replaced the battery and turned on the laptop and played with the brightness etc seemed to work. So I pulled the battery again made sure everything was in the right place and replaced the screen surround then replaced the battery cranked up the brightness and what do you know it works hell yes! finally after years of this stupid problem, Redemption.

Now with nothing but love for my R1f I sit here and write this hoping that it will reach someone that can use it.

9. sneak47

sneak47 Pen Pal - Newbie

Its not exactly a fix, but I got my tablet to work some how and saved the settings as a backup file included in the attached .zip. Now every-time I restart my computer I go to:

start -> all programs -> Wacom Tablet -> Wacom Tablet Preference File Utility

select restore and choose my backup file that works great with no problems so far (bout a month).

You can use your keyboard or pen to access this.

Attached Files:

10. fridadesai

fridadesai Pen Pal - Newbie

I've experienced the exact same issue...try installing the newest version of the Synaptics Touchpad driver. Also install the Wacom Tablet drivers if that doesnt work.

Best Attorney

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.