Motorcycle riders: How do you carry your laptop?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by alphaswift, Apr 23, 2007.

1. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hi all,

Now that summer is on, I'll be riding to work whenever I can. Up to now, I've been carrying my laptop in my backpack and that's generally okay ( even though I hate wearing a backpack when I ride ). I've tried strapping the backpack behind me on the back seat and that's generally more comfortable.

Now that I have my 13.3" Asus, I checked and see that the laptop will fit inside my Joe Rocket tank bag. I think this will be the most comfortable way to ride with a laptop, but I was wondering how are all you riders out there carrying your laptop? Is there something that works really well?

2. thundermax

thundermax Pen Pal - Newbie

I prefer to keep mine in the tankbag, but my buddies keep saying that there is too much vibration on the tank and could damage it. I figure if I put it on a towel it can help absorb the shock.

I have tried the 'messenger' style bag and it seems more comfortable than a backpack. But it can shift around and I hate that feeling.

3. brynn

brynn Pen Pal - Newbie

It seems like the only way to really have it secure when I ride is to get a laptop specific backpack. There's a few hardshell ones out there that I'm looking at getting since it seems like they'd provide the best protection if I were to fall. There's also plenty of other options out there that provide a sleeve inside the backpack that has extra padding and etc.

Placing in a place with a lot of vibration is probably a bad idea.

4. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

I couldn't find a tankbag that was big enough for my tabletpc, yet small enough for me to do a uturn on my sv650n with low SM1 handlebars. I had been riding with a MobileEdge Premium backpack, which is a really nice backpack, but I was worrying about what would happen to my back if I crashed with the backpack. I started using a Cortech Sport tailbag. So far the tailbag has worked out really well, but I've been planning to install a hard topcase that I can throw a backpack in while I ride. I've already bought a topcase, I just need to install it. I'll post more information later if other riders are interested. I'm just glad this board is finally here after about a year of waiting.

5. enneract

enneract Pen Pal - Newbie

I want your bike :(

I carry mine in a backpack, I'm just not comfortable with the idea of it being attached to the bike instead of me.

6. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

I have the puter in the messenger style bag and I put that either in the trunk of one bike or the saddle bag of the other....

7. frankj64155

frankj64155 Pen Pal - Newbie

I travel to work with my Toshiba M700 in the trunk of my Goldwing.

8. KingKong76

KingKong76 Pen Pal - Newbie

my notebook had to hang off my shoulders, when uncomfortable and even dangerous when turning. need to invest in a macbook air!

9. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

You would be more worried about your tablet then the road rash????

10. leaftye

I think you got it backwards. I stopped wearing the backpack because I was worried the backpack and tablet would do something funny to my body if I crashed. I wear full gear all the time, so the risk of road rash is always the same. Usually I wear a leather jacket, textile overpants, leather full gauntlet gloves and full height boots, all armored. I just wanted to reduce the risk of twisting and compressing bits of my body the wrong way.

11. Kyle Porter

That makes much more sense.

12. leaftye

Btw, now is still a great time to buy a bike if you have access to funds. Normally prices start to sky rocket right now, but prices keep falling like there's no end to winter in sight.

13. Kyle Porter

I want to pick one up, just it isn't economical for me as i need to be able to carry 40+ lbs of computer equipment with me when i go to work, and when i am home i don't want to leave the house :p

14. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

It's a buyers market for just about anything right now...cars, boats, motorcycles.....even laptops and tablets!

I sold a bunch of stock in September 2007 to buy a bike...gosh that was the luckiest thing I could have done as the value of that stock would have dropped 60% between then and now. The bike has only devalued about 25%...if I could sell it! LOL....