Motorcycle riders: How do you carry your laptop?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by alphaswift, Apr 23, 2007.

1. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hi all,

Now that summer is on, I'll be riding to work whenever I can. Up to now, I've been carrying my laptop in my backpack and that's generally okay ( even though I hate wearing a backpack when I ride ). I've tried strapping the backpack behind me on the back seat and that's generally more comfortable.

Now that I have my 13.3" Asus, I checked and see that the laptop will fit inside my Joe Rocket tank bag. I think this will be the most comfortable way to ride with a laptop, but I was wondering how are all you riders out there carrying your laptop? Is there something that works really well?

2. thundermax

thundermax Pen Pal - Newbie

I prefer to keep mine in the tankbag, but my buddies keep saying that there is too much vibration on the tank and could damage it. I figure if I put it on a towel it can help absorb the shock.

I have tried the 'messenger' style bag and it seems more comfortable than a backpack. But it can shift around and I hate that feeling.

3. brynn

brynn Pen Pal - Newbie

It seems like the only way to really have it secure when I ride is to get a laptop specific backpack. There's a few hardshell ones out there that I'm looking at getting since it seems like they'd provide the best protection if I were to fall. There's also plenty of other options out there that provide a sleeve inside the backpack that has extra padding and etc.

Placing in a place with a lot of vibration is probably a bad idea.

4. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

I couldn't find a tankbag that was big enough for my tabletpc, yet small enough for me to do a uturn on my sv650n with low SM1 handlebars. I had been riding with a MobileEdge Premium backpack, which is a really nice backpack, but I was worrying about what would happen to my back if I crashed with the backpack. I started using a Cortech Sport tailbag. So far the tailbag has worked out really well, but I've been planning to install a hard topcase that I can throw a backpack in while I ride. I've already bought a topcase, I just need to install it. I'll post more information later if other riders are interested. I'm just glad this board is finally here after about a year of waiting.

5. enneract

enneract Pen Pal - Newbie

I want your bike :(

I carry mine in a backpack, I'm just not comfortable with the idea of it being attached to the bike instead of me.

6. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I have the puter in the messenger style bag and I put that either in the trunk of one bike or the saddle bag of the other....

7. frankj64155

frankj64155 Pen Pal - Newbie

I travel to work with my Toshiba M700 in the trunk of my Goldwing.

8. KingKong76

KingKong76 Pen Pal - Newbie

my notebook had to hang off my shoulders, when uncomfortable and even dangerous when turning. need to invest in a macbook air!

9. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

You would be more worried about your tablet then the road rash????

10. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

I think you got it backwards. I stopped wearing the backpack because I was worried the backpack and tablet would do something funny to my body if I crashed. I wear full gear all the time, so the risk of road rash is always the same. Usually I wear a leather jacket, textile overpants, leather full gauntlet gloves and full height boots, all armored. I just wanted to reduce the risk of twisting and compressing bits of my body the wrong way.