Moto Z4 and Surface Pen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kingstu, Aug 20, 2019.

1. kingstu

kingstu Pen Pal - Newbie

I finally got a Moto Z4 and it has Microsoft Pen Protocol support in it's display. It's nice to be able to use surface pen for navigation, inking and gaming.If anyone is looking for that synergy between tablet PC and smartphone it's half the cost of a Note and the only smartphone that I know of that is Surface Pen compatible. The Huawei is Wacom AES I believe (and their pens are not all cross-compatible across devices). Of course the Samsung Notes are Wacom EMR.

Is anyone else using the Z4 and it's active pen enabled display?

Shogmaster and Marty like this.
  2. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the information! It's nice to know there is other penabled smartphone that is actually affordable and doesn't cost 999$ :thumbsup:. How is it working out for you? Is there any good storing option since the pen is full-sized?

3. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Scribbler - Standard Member

Does it flicker?

4. kingstu

kingstu Pen Pal - Newbie

I just keep the pen in my shirt pocket or use the pen on my surface. I got several used Bamboo ink pens for under $10 on ebay and I just keep one in the car, one at work, one at home and one in my laptop bag. I don't like how thin the Note pen is so a full sized pen is a benefit. I don't see any flicker on my Moto Z4 but I am not sure exactly is meant by that and what app it usually would occur in.

5. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Scribbler - Standard Member

According to Notebookcheck, the Z3 flickers at 236 Hz. I don't think the Z4 has been tested with an oscilloscope yet. According to Notebookcheck, the Moto One Action, for example, does not flicker.