MOTION LE1600 HDD extreme upgrade!!!

Discussion in 'Motion Computing' started by stan329, Aug 30, 2010.

1. stan329

stan329 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, to be honest, I doubt that...
    the trends are SATA, PATA will be obsolete, soon enough.
    any commercial product launches only when a need rises from mass market, PATA,not any more, guess you can only find from hardcore DIYers.
    I had PCs running both IDE & SATA, honestly speaking, I don't feel much difference.
    the first time I felt the diff from HDD is when I got my WD drive, the first one came with 8M buffer and the rest brands only offer 2M, that's something I could really feel.

the reason why I did this upgrade is not only because I like exploring new possibilities, I did it cause I like the LE1600 I paid $400 for, and I do not mind putting a bit more to see it fly, but ,just a little bit more.

now win7 is smooth, the whole investment is just $600+, I would say, better than IPAD:)

I guess the bottleneck of the system is IDE controller, but I can live with the speed.

there is a diff between what you want and what you need, which is why the benchmarks are for ref only.

I will keep posting the test based only daily usage, and if it crashed somehow,
    I'll find another computer to let you know:)

let's hope it never happens.

HDD temp can go up to 48C, with the borad stuck on the back of the drive, I am glad I did not take the 5400RPM, it only gets hotter.

I guess I'm just nice now

2. Xyem

Xyem Pen Pal - Newbie

Just letting you know that in my experience, it doesn't disable the 512MB onboard. Unless you disabled it manually somehow..?

On my LE1600, the internal RAM is failing (some blocks around 30MB and 230MB) which causes it to completely freeze on occasion. I bought 2GB hoping it would disable the internal RAM (memtest86+ only shows the 2GB) but the errors still show up.

This would indicate it is using 512MB of the internal RAM and 1.5GB of the expansion RAM.

3. tbase1

tbase1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Can this cable be used with 1.8 ssd drives as well as the drives listed on this thread?

4. SinrG

SinrG Pen Pal - Newbie

You don't need the extra cables if you use the same cable as in the original picture. (50 Pin).

I just brought and slotted in a 64Gb SSD no trouble. No extra parts.

5. Lunafox

Lunafox Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a LE 1600 with the Hitachi 30GB HDD and IDE to ZIF cable. Will this upgrade work with same as I cannot see the pictures.