MOTION LE1600 HDD extreme upgrade!!!

Discussion in 'Motion Computing' started by stan329, Aug 30, 2010.

1. stan329

stan329 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Guys,
    This is my first time posting, cause I'm sure I just did something amazing with my LE1600.

I got my LE1600 last June for $400, shipping to Singapore(where I am)cost another $60.

It's amazing, for the pen response and the feel of actual writing really worth the price (online MSRP for new one is just too stupid...)

It came with 30G toshiba 3600RPM HDD, 512MB onboard ram and an integrated Graphic, and it does not have winxp tablet recovery disk.(headache)

I upgraded ram to 2G, disabling the onboard 512MB.

The files are jamming the disk and I can not do anything about it.

I have to upgrade the HDD.

However I found the HDD cable in my set is IDE to CF, the only CF interface toshiba, 1.8in is MK6006GAH, 2MB buffer(same), 4200RPM(faster), with size of 60G(doubled).

If I took this option, I might face another upgrade real soon.

My original Motion IDE-CF cable.

[​IMG][/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

I had to get an IDE-ZIF cable , then I found this

Now I have to settle for a choice of HDD. original 30G is 5mm thick, but the above mentioned MK6006GAH is 8mm and it's still OK.

I guess can not exceed 8mm thickness.

I happened to know an awesome dude whose offering SATA to IDE converted of 3mm thickness, the connection will be like this

so here the IDE-ZIF is going through an IDE-SATA converter stick to the back of the HDD, so I can go for any SATA 1.8 drive.

I chose samsung drive

I would have my buffer from 2M to 16M and HDD size from 30G to 120G, 3600RPM to 4200RPM, all I need is to get it work.

the SS drive is 5mm thick and I need to confirm the combo thickness is below 8mm

8mm, just nice.

the SS SATA-ZIF drive is slightly shorter than the Toshiba CF, left a bit space in the rubber holder but it's OK.

cover it up, ready to run!!!

BIOS deteced

now we know there is a Seagate driver running under this SS Logo

my Win 7 is now running damn smooth

when I asked the dude--maker of this converter board the performance of the IDE-SATA converter combo comparing to original SATA controller, he said: it's all the same,when come to HDD, the factors are only RPM and buffer size.....

I am now monitoring the temperature , the RPM going up and the board stick on top of the HDD, I have to make sure it's OK......

so now, $400 PC, $20 RAM, $220 for the complete converted combo, I got my LE1600 flying again:)

I can't do anything with the CPU, and the integrated Graphic is still a pain in the ass that no way to get rid of, other than this, my baby rocks again:)........

will keep you posted with the follow up observation

2. cyanprinter

cyanprinter Pen Pal - Newbie

Where can we get the converter card? :D

3. stan329

stan329 Pen Pal - Newbie

the board come with SS drive, I got them together, it's designed by the seller,
    and the motion ZIF cable is from another supplier, I got them from different source and get them work together.

4. cyanprinter

Hmm, that seller should sell the converter card separately, say on eBay. There's a few similar boards out there on eBay from international sellers (HK, Taiwan, etc), but none have the microsata ZIF on one end and PATA ZIF on the other end....I imagine he'd have some good volume if he sold these on the mass market, from folks with EEEpc's to these tablets, and so on.

5. stan329

stan329 Pen Pal - Newbie

indeed, I tried to get just the card and he wouldn't do it--he only sell the bundle.by the way, he's the one who designedit, you can't buy it from else where.
    somehow he's just a HDD supplier, I felt technically defeated....

6. stan329

stan329 Pen Pal - Newbie

HDD temp still acceptable,win 7 really fits tablets, with my 30G original drive, I wouldn't dream for these stunts

7. ivar

ivar Pen Pal - Newbie

This is also my question, where one can find this ZIF IDE to SATA converter?

8. stan329

stan329 Pen Pal - Newbie

this guy does not run anythinbg online, and he actually designed this for X41, I tried it with LE1600 and I sourced the IDE-ZIF cable, putting them altogether,and luckily worked. I got the cable and combo from different source, and made sure they "fall in love" with each other.

9. stan329

stan329 Pen Pal - Newbie

current desktop, showing HDD is 48C, feels OK.

the thing is ,my friend designed this board for certain application for some corps and sign agreement, so he just use it to boost his samsung drive sales, he can test on IBM T41, but I did the LE1600 testing.
    he refused to sell me card only and said can only supply limited combos

anyway, I paid around $200 (S$270)before shipping, and the drive comes with 3 year warranty, I think it's quite a deal.

10. cyanprinter

Maybe that means it'll end up on the open market someday by some company :D

Here is some discussion:
    For those with slow 1.8" PATA drives wanting SATA...

In any case, the 5400rpm Samsung drives I run are quite reasonable, considering their 1.8" size. Whether a 1.8" drive in microsata connection would be any faster, especially after having a device like that custom board as the middle man, remains to be tested.

HD Tune website and CrystalDiskMark are two options out there to benchmark the drive.