Motion C5V

Discussion in 'Motion Computing' started by devilsrogue, Oct 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. devilsrogue

devilsrogue Pen Pal - Newbie

I was really lucky and got one of the C5v's on ebay for 150. All it needed was the charger and a os. I was curious about the SSD, and I found a motherboard on ebay as well, and saw that it uses actual sata connectors, so a 1.8 ssd should fit to upgrade the 64gb.

Did anyone else see them? They have the core I5 520um and 2gb of ram. They have the barcode scanner, cameras, not sure about wwan , and wifi N.

Does anyone else have one of these models? Or the F5v which should be the same minus the color. Im curious about installing 8gb of ram into one.

2. devilsrogue

Well it was just shipped via fedex, so I guess I will "crack" it open and find out how much ram it can accept. Ill post lots of pictures on the process here and a video as well since there are none, I think this could help many out. Ill also try and upgrade the ssd and do a full review. I know this is a bit older, the first core I ulv series, but I think its going to be a great companion

3. azelll

azelll Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, how's the new machine working for you?
    I have an old model, core 2, and is by far my favorite sketching tablet!
    I saw plenty of them on ebay, even as low as 100$ and wondering how the core i5 on this work, and if is worth the upgrade from the core 2.
    Also and what kind of monitor do they have? standard or view anywhere?
    Opening the tablet and adding more ram looks quite complicated, but there are plenty of picture on how to upgrade the ram in the forum,
    I bet it can take 8gb of ram, if you find the right kind

4. devilsrogue

im using it now and i love it, the core i5 is worth the upgrade , it was easy to up ram, the slot in the side of the motherboard you cant see had a 2 gig stick in it and i put a 4gb stick in the other and i have 6gb now. barcode reader is nice for work and the two cams are great for keeping in touch with my family. i use it as my main mobile pc, and now can use my gaming pc with its 3930k and 780 32 gb of ram pc for games.

5. devilsrogue

so im about to up the ssd, i opened my sandisk 256 gb ssd and if i take out its tiny pcb it will fit. i need more space lol. ill just put the 64 gb in my desktop cause i dont use it for anything but drivers and windows, everything else is on the hdds

6. deere245

deere245 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got mt C5v Friday. I am upgrading from a Core2 duo C5. The I5 1.06 520um is a worthwhile upgrade. The C5v is MUCH easier to upgrade internally. Standard sata connector.No zif connector anymore. The wifi and wwan slots are not covered by the tin heat shield anymore. They use a lot less tape on the inside. ONE wire connector to remove the rear cover, not 4 like the C5.
    The 2gb unit has 1 2gb stick on the bottom side. The top slot was empty. All the C5s I have owned had both slots filled from the factory.
    I had a 32gb SSD in my C5. I used a mini PCI-E to SD card in the wwan slot both units. I have a 32gb SD card that I use as a 2nd drive.
    The C5v for sale on fleabay have a USB port beside the power port.
    The lcd is a STD AFFS+ Gorilla Glass. AFFS+ is LED backlight.

From the Hydis web site.

HYDIS put its name on the TFT-LCD map with the creation of AFFS (Advanced Fringe Field Switching Technology)—securing the Number 1 position in the Tablet PC industry. Changing with the times and responding to the demand for even more advanced products, we have evolved AFFS to AFFS+, technology that boasts lowered power consumption, improved transmission of color and images, and impressive internal LCD panel reflection—guaranteeing perfect readability even under the brightest sunlight. AFFS+ is True Evolutionary Progress

AFFS+ is different than View Anywhere. STD is a standard display. VAD is View Anywhere display.

7. deere245

Some pics inside C5v

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. CameronTM

CameronTM Pen Pal - Newbie

What kind of RAM did you buy that worked? I'd love to put 6 or 8 GB in mine if possible, but everywhere I read said it's 4GB max for the two slots. In 64-bit how much of the 6GB of RAM shows as useable?

9. deere245

In 64bit all 6gb would be usable.
    Win7 64bit memory limits

Starter: 8GB
    Home Basic: 8GB
    Home Premium: 16GB
    Professional: 192GB
    Enterprise: 192GB
    Ultimate: 192GB

10. deere245

The C5v uses the Intel QM57 chipset. That chipset supports up to 8gb of memory. Many times the laptop/tablet chipset will support more ram than the laptop/tablet manufacturer lists as available during initial purchase.

DDR3 SO-DIMM 800/1066 MHz