Mostly Comic Books

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by matthew roscetti, Feb 5, 2018.

1. matthew roscetti

matthew roscetti Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi. I'm a comic book artist and illustrator. I also do graphic design like brochures, signs, and logo work.

I currently have a Fujitsu T900 that is starting to die. Some of the keys don't work, the USB port is fried, the charger is missing ( my kids charger fits but sharing is a pain especially because I'm out of the house a lot).

So time to upgrade.

Here's what I'm hoping for

What is your budget?

$400-$700

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?

Yes

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?

Tablet PC preferred but open to other options

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • 5 to7-inches
    • 7.1 to 10-inches
    • 10 to 13-inches
    • Above 13-inches
    10 to 12 inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?

USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

No

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

Probably about 6 ish or more

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

Art work. Netflix and chill

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

Windows 10

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

Clip Studio Paint, Photoshop, Illustrator, Word, Acrobat, Chrome.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

No

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?

I suppose but not really

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

1080 or better, I guess.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?

No

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?

Must be pressure sensitive

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?

Probably 256-512 GB

I'm not sure what the programs I use actually take up. I fear 128 is way to little.

Expandable could help.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

Full sized USB would be nice as I use wireless mouse with a dongle connection regularly. I suppose a Bluetooth connected mouse if no USB could work. Also eyeballing the Wacom Expresskey remote which, if I'm not mistaken people have used with off brand products like the Surface Pro by installing the proper drivers. If I can make it work.

Would also like to use an memory stick or external drive for back up and file transfers but I can think of many options such as adapters to make everything work.

Upgrading to USB-C like my phone could be handy but not required.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

Really curious what my set up actually requires as far as ram and storage space? Which is why I think I'll need 256 gb minimum but maybe I don't?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

I'm pretty sold on a HP elite X2 g1 with 8 GB ram and 526 GB SSD which are coming in around $600-$700 on eBay. Some used/refurbished and some are actually new in box (or so they claim).

My brother has a Galaxy book that he just bought but that's too rich for my blood but it sure is nice. Maybe I can find something that make me happy and be a stellar device?

Looking at Surface pro's in various generations and configurations but hard to find what I want (ie: it has windows 8, is missing keyboards, no stylus, low ram or storage, just right but a touch too expensive.)

Been looking at Lenovo's, Toshiba's, Dell's etc. But my head is starting to spin trying to keep the options organized in my brain.

Thank you all for your help
    -Matt

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

DaniJoy likes this.
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Galaxy Book 10.6 is in your price range. Lite on Ram and storage (4GB of Ram, and 64GB or 128GB, and only) but for storage you do have a MicroSD Card slot which helps. Photoshop....won't run that well, but Clip Studio Paint runs flawlessly on it, and the S-pen (with grey nib) beats the Surface Pen or any of the MPP pens.

Main drawback though...if you intend to get a Wacom Express Key Remote.....its wireless USB Type A....not C....so you would have to use it with a dongle......which makes the Express Key remote...kind of cumbersome since you're going to have this thing jutting out of the USB-C port. Its far more limited, but for this reason I prefer using the Surface Dial with my Book since its bluetooth based.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

@matthew roscetti check out Thinkpad Yoga 370 and Toshiba X20W. Elite X2 1012 G1 is overall OK but CPU & GPU are on the weak side, while the G2 will cost you much more; 1011 is not even worth considering IMO. Wacom Express-thingie is crazy expensive; a compact Bluetooth gamepad can do the same or better for a fraction of cost and won't limit you to USB-A devices.

5. matthew roscetti

Thanks everyone.

That Toshiba catches my eye at a slightly lower cost then the Lenovo. It originally comes new with a pen, correct? I see a few decent priced refurbished machines on e-bay but none make mention of the stylus

6. matthew roscetti

I'm curious how the X2 gen 1 stacks up against the Fujistu T900 that I currently have performance wise? Improvement or worse?

7. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.