More Windows 7 RC Details Surface

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 7' started by DRTigerlilly, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Microsoft pundit Paul Thurrot, who runs the Winsupersite, where you can get all your information about Windows and upcoming Microsoft products, has revealed some of the new features included in the Windows 7 RC.

We've already mentioned the new XP (Compatibility)Mode, which allows you to run legacy software in emulation/virtualization within Windows 7 but the Thurrot has discovered the other features:

"AAC/H.264/MPEG-2 support will not be provided to Windows 7 Home Basic and Starter customers. That functionality will only go out to Home Premium, Professional, and Enterprise/Ultimate users. But it looks like there will be add-ons made available (free or paid, it's not clear) to users of low-end Windows 7 versions.

Maximum RAM. All 32-bit versions of Windows 7 "support" 4 GB of RAM, of course. But if you go 64-bit, you can add up to 8 GB in Home Basic and Starter, 16 GB in Home Premium, and 192 GB in Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate.

Windows Media Player Remote Media Experience (RME) is not available in Windows 7 Home Basic or Starter. However, all versions can share media over a home network.

All Windows 7 SKUs support 20 simultaneous SMB connections. This works out to 10 users, apparently.

XP Mode. As we first revealed yesterday, only Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate are licensed to install XP Mode."

Say it with me again, Windows 7, best Windows release ever! :)

[Credit Neowin]

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. booone0

booone0 Pen Pal - Newbie

All sounds good, but wtf is with windows limiting how much RAM is recognized? Not sure how I feel about my OS determining how much ram I can use (Besides the 32/64 Bit thing)

3. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

Not like you will ever hit the 16gb need using Home Premium before windows 7's successor comes out. w/ 4gb of ram, you don't need anymore.

4. cephasara

cephasara Pen Pal - Newbie

The native codec support limitation on Windows 7 Home Basic and Starter sound pretty odd too. But I guess if anyone opts in to buy either of them they really don't care about utilizing Windows 7. :p

What does SMB stand for?

I thought Vista 64-bit supported 16TB of RAM. I wonder why Windows 7 only supports 192GB. Not like it really matters like kpvic said.

5. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

smb connections stands for server message block protocol, its basically a file sharing protocol, the finding basically means MS is relaxing some of the restrictions they'd tried to implement in Vista re file sharing. (Vista has less connections between 5 & 10 simultaneous smb connections depending on the version)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.