More than 2GB in R1F?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by deek, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leewalk

leewalk Microsoft Guy

The R1F is limited by its chipset to something less than 4GB. Currently, I have 1 GB +2 GB for a total recognized memory of 2.4 GB. For 2x2 GB, the total recognized memory should be around 3.3 GB.

Lee

2. Fido

Fido Scribbler - Standard Member

It is a problem with 32 bit operating systems.

3. russki

russki Pen Pal - Newbie

Leewalk is actually wrong, and Fido's right. The memory limitation is a software one on the side of the 32bit OS. But given that 64bit Vista is still in its infancy (as far as driver and software support is concerned), everybody'd be better off sticking with 2Gb.

4. ChrisC

ChrisC Pen Pal - Newbie

I thought I had read somewhere that you had to match memory, i.e. 2x 512KB or 2x 1GB or 2x 2GB. Glad to hear that's not the case.

5. TonyZ

TonyZ System Engineer

I tried a 1GB + 2GB module and like "leewalk" above found, my R1F only saw 2.4GB RAM...and the system was unstable and the Windows Performance Index scores were lower with Vista. I assumed that the problem was in the BIOS. Also I made sure that I had the latest BIOS version 310. Has anyone 2GB x 2? If not, let me know if anyone out there would like me to try this?

6. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hmm..this is interesting. It may also be working correctly, unfortunately.

You may want to check this article that gives an excellent description of 32 bit memory limitations in Vista. Also check some of the links in the article for related information.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. TonyZ

TonyZ System Engineer

Alpha - that is interesting...I really should have been more specific by what I meant by "unstable" what happened is my video screen went crazy and started flashing a scrambled image and the pointer was frozen. I had to reset the system via paper clip reset hole. I then installed 2 x 1GB modules and the Windows Experience Index [Memory Score] jumped back up to 4.8 -- we all may be best off staying with the Asus 2GB recommendation.

8. leewalk

leewalk Microsoft Guy

Fido, actually, we are both right. Under 32-bit OS, you are correct. Under 64-bit OS, the R1F chipset will limit max available memory to about 3.3GB.

Here's a little more info: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605. Note that the 945 chipset in the R1F is not listed in this article...

Lee

9. sunny

sunny Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you very much Lee, esp. for the Microsoft Link. I was aware of the 32-bit problem, but I would have expected Vista64 to solve these issues. Although I am a bit disappointed, I will simply upgrade to 2x1GB, it will save me some $$$.

10. russki

russki Pen Pal - Newbie

You are right, Leewalk; 945 can only address 4Gb. My response really pertained to the original poster's question given the fact that he was using a 32 bit OS. As the chipset only addresses up to 4Gb, even the 64 bit Vista will not be able to have access to 4Gb. This is not an MS flaw; this is a system design characteristics (a limitation in how PC hardware maps memory space).

Your example of 3 GB is much more interesting, in that I wonder if PCI space can be remapped above the 3 Gb threshhold (the KB article is unclear whether or not it must be remapped above 4 Gb). This could be both an OS and BIOS limitation. Also note that KB article only applies to systems with 4Gb of RAM (not less)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.