more snappiness for your VivoTab TF810C -tutorial

Discussion in 'Asus' started by mrnielsen, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrnielsen

mrnielsen Pen Pal - Newbie

hi folks,
    i recently got my vivo tab and except the usual things (flickering display, stylus bump at the edges etc.) i love it. and for even more love you can adjust 2 bios settings.

BE WARNED
    this settings will "burn" a lot of power (and therefore reduces runtime on battery) but on the other hand it will give u a much more responsive user experience.

1. boot into bios:
    when the device is off press power + volume down simultaneously and select "enter setup" (volume up and down and the windows-key for enter)

2. press volume up when u are in the bios until you get to "advanced"

3. go for "eist" and disable it (windows-key + up & down)

4. go for "cpu c state report" and disable it (you know the drill)

5. go to "save & exit" (volume up) and "save changes and reset"

6. profit

in my oppinion the windows 8 desktop ist now much more responsive. opening the taskmanager will 1. be faster and 2. will reveal that cpu stills clocks down but only to around 1.29 ghz.

so pretty much everything becomes more snappy because the base speed of your atom-soc will be kept high which will of course cost you a bit of your battery life :D how much of a bit stands out to be tested :D.

i hadn't the time to fiddle around with the c-states. maybe it's enough to deactivate "cpu deep c4" and "cpu hard c4e"? if someone is on to some experimenting i would love to hear about the results.

regards
    mrnielsen

2. Breed

Breed Scribbler - Standard Member

Good find! It's good to know EIST can be turned off if needed! It can usually be done via Windows Power settings but the option appears to be missing on the VivoTab.

I always turn EIST off on devices connected to a power source but leave it on for battery powered stuff. It's annoying it's missing from Windows Power settings as this is the sort of thing you can configure.

3. mrnielsen

UPDATE: it seems, that the extra battery drain isn't that high. at 12:30 it was at 100% and now 17:47 i am at 44% with some surfing, installing, wamp runs in the background, some illustrator testing. display was mostly active. i don't think that i'll revert to EIST back on.

4. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What was your brightness set to? I have to say I've never really felt the desktop performance was slow, only opening my vhd file on my storage card takes any time and that seems to be because the built in antivirus is scanning the files when first accessed.

5. mrnielsen

brightness was pretty low around 15%. my main computer is a graphics workstation with 16 gigs of ram, quad-core cpu and a nice and decent solid state disk :D so i am a bit spoiled in terms of "snappieness" and trust me – if u try my settings you won't go back to normal :D

6. woshisb

woshisb Pen Pal - Newbie

Is that with the dock on or without the dock? If that is the number with the dock it does look a lot shorter.

7. Breed

Breed Scribbler - Standard Member

I'd guess without the dock since the tutorial is for those without a keyboard.

8. mrnielsen

numbers are without dock (cause i have none :D) the battery-life isn't much shorter. i can recommend the procedure to you all.

9. -sigge-

-sigge- Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks a bunch for this! Much snappier indeed, and no drawbacks yet (fingers crossed).