More memory - comments

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by alan sh, Dec 2, 2008.

1. alan sh

alan sh Scribbler - Standard Member

My tx2500 came with 2gb memory. Surely enough I thought. When the system booted up and settled down, it was using 7-800 mb. (about 1gb free because the video consumes some). But, as soon as I started loading up apps (Photoshop Elements 7, IE7 and a couple of minor apps) it took off like a rocket and consumed most of the free memory till I was left with around 150mb free and I could "see" the system swapping like crazy.

So, I just replaced one of the 1gb modules with a 2gb one and rebooted. Now, it uses around 1Gb as the base, but I have 1748Mb free.

So, an observation and a question. Put more memory in and the "used" goes up (comment) - is this because Vista is intelligent and starts swapping out real early (question)? If not, what are other peoples systems doing?

Alan

PS - this is my build, not HP's. I have Vista +SP1, MS-Office, Mappoint 2009, MS-Reader and PSE 7 plus a couple of extra gadgets.

2. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

[​IMG]

This is with 4gb (well 3gb that Windows sees) that has 128mb taken out for a RAM disk and no page file on the HDD. I think you are right, I've seen Task managers for people that are running with 1gb and 2gb and I think Windows manages the memory accordingly.

3. gordoncahill

gordoncahill Scribbler - Standard Member

It's called Superfetch. Handy for most. But if you use programs that consume large variables in ram ie: opening and closing many images in Photoshop in a session, Lightroom, some video, then you'll be better off disabling it as Superfetch fills your ram with programs it "thinks" you might need therefore slowing down usage of programs that swap in and out a lot of ram.

Gordon

4. alan sh

Interesting - how do you do that?

BTW, this is my task manager page.

Attached Files:

5. TabbedOut

you can use msconfig to disable superfetch (and all the other services/startups you don't need)... just be careful

6. alan sh

I went into services and did it. Saved me a lot. See attachment

Attached Files:

7. alan sh

8. TabbedOut

There are actually quite a few services that can be disabled. I've used blackviper as a reference... along with some trial and error to get vista how I like it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. chihping

chihping Pen Pal - Newbie

actually superfetch does speed up the system once it finish caching. Per Microsoft's site: Superfetch monitors which applications you use the most and preloads these into your system memory so they'll be ready when you need them.

So while it is caching disk usage will be high and it will consume ram. But Vista will free up more as it is needed. You can observe this by looking at task manager and look at the 'cached' value.

10. tahoe916

tahoe916 Pen Pal - Newbie

Disabling Superfetch doesn't "save" you any ram. If anything it just slows down opening programs. Superfetch dynamically allocates RAM for programs so it will have all of your often used programs cached and when you open them they will open a lot faster.

If you have a program that needs more memory it will dump the least often used program from RAM and allocate that memory for your request. This is a highly efficient and really well thought out service, you aren't gaining anything by disabling it and are most definitely hurting performance.