More Apple Tablet Rumors -- CNET Claims Asus is Producing Upcoming Tablet Discussion

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by cnahm, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Andrew

Andrew Just a Guy Staff Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. FantasiaWHT

FantasiaWHT Pen Pal - Newbie

If it's not convertible I'm not interested, sadly. I got real excited for a minute tho.

3. Loaf.

Loaf. Scribbler - Standard Member

If apple joins in the tablet scene it would probably bring some needed attention to the tablet world. I'm hoping its also a convertible, though I wouldnt put it past apple to make it multitouch and somehow make it possible to type on the screen itself. However, due to the small form factor your hands would probably cover most of the screen.

4. pibach

pibach Scribbler - Standard Member

I hope it is not going to be a convertible but a pure slate. If it gets a capacitive touch as the iPhone, then it probably won't be inkable with a pen, maybe also the OS will be more iPhone-like but 10", 1280x768 WXGA.

5. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Pure slate, most likely a larger iPod video (with added functionality of course), judging by the design trend of their products.

The price point would most likely put me off though.

6. pibach

pibach Scribbler - Standard Member

iPod & iPhone use ARM processors. Also capacitive touch is extremely cheap. So if Apple just makes a 10" ARM-based iPod, say "iPad" (extending the OS a bit) this could be under $1000,- This thing would be very thin, could last a full day on battery but would require Remote Desktop for higher end apps.

An "iTablet" based on Leopard and Core 2 Duo would need a pen and Wacom digitizer, probably 13" screen, would be thicker, and power hungry - and probably far above $2000,-

Hm. I would opt for the "iPad" version.

7. cnahm

cnahm Pen Pal - Newbie

Not a convertible? I don't understand the real need for them if they're not convertible! I use mine as a design tool, and could not even deal with a slate. I like the versatility of a convertible. The reason I got a tablet is for the drawing capabilities with the wacom digitizer, paired with Alias Sketchbook Pro. It's almost like a mini Centiq. Having worked on a tablet for almost 2 years I can safely say it's been almost as pivotal a tool in my career as learning Photoshop & Illustrator. People always come by and ask '...are you DRAWING on your computer?'. Too funny. I sit there and just smile & nod. :D

So if Apple did a rocking convertible tablet, with a powerful graphics card I'd for sure jump to it...unless it cost 4K or something. Then it'd be beyond my budget.