Modifier keys while clicking possible?

Discussion in 'Axiotron Modbook' started by KC1, Feb 15, 2009.

1. KC1

KC1 Old fart

In my Vectorworks software, I have to do the following all the time:

- click, Shift-click
    - click, Tab, numeric keypad input, Enter, click or double-click
    - Spacebar-drag
    - drag, Option-hold with or without Shift-hold, then release click
    - Control-click
    - any combination of the above

In other words, I need the various modifier keys while clicking or double-clicking. Ideally they would be physical buttons on the edge of the tablet accessible by the holding hand. But I don't see them. Any solution?

2. SergWerg

SergWerg Pen Pal - Newbie

3. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I deleted all the off-topic posts and the whole stupid quarrel and moved it back to the Mac section, because it seems to be a Modbook and MacOS only problem.
    Still you could have added that you want a solution for MacOS

Back to topic:
    Does the Modbook have any tablet buttons?

The ModBook Pro (if it's not vaporware) will have an active and passive digitizer. The passive digitizer is designed to solve your problem. It shall give you access to modifier keys etc. while using the pen without the need of additional hardware buttons. But well, still you need a solution for the ModBook. This was just FYI :)

You could try to find or code a program like Modlock, to lock a modifier or normal key and then use the pen. Still, it's a bit awkward to use, because you always have to lock the key first, and later unlock it.
    That's the software solution.

The second option is a hardware solution. You'll need a small keyboard.
    One option is to use a small QWERTY keyboard, like the Brando
    Or use a one handed keyboard like the Matias OneHanded keyboard or the Bluetooth FrogPad. The advantage is that it will replace the whole keyboard, so you don't have to use the onscreen keyboard any longer, and it's more comfortable to use than such a cramped tiny QWERTY keyboard. The problem is that you'll need to place the keyboard somewhere to type on it. You could make the FrogPad wearable and attach it to one of your arms, still, it's not that natural, but an option to consider. I at least do everything with the FrogPad :)
    You can also try an even smaller keyboard like the Twiddler which you can hold in one hand.

Last but not least you can build your own tablet buttons. This will be difficult but will give you the best value in the end.

You could also search for ergonomic keyboard solutions. They are often more innovative and very interesting, sometimes. Or maybe flexible USB keyboards.

If those ideas are not what you've searched for, then just explain your problem a bit more precise.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. KC1

KC1 Old fart

Thank you for stepping in, Frank.

As I was trying to say, it was my mistake to forget that simple clarification in the original post and ask, "does the Modbook have any tablet buttons?" And perhaps my character flaw for being rude to the crude... to fence with the dense... I had no intention of being offensive. My apologies.

Now back on topic, the ModBook Pro has turned out to be a far cry from what I need, despite being totally familiar with the MacOS. It's super heavy, super expensive and missing tablet buttons.

Modlock is a moot issue because it's Windows only.

Hardware solution is best, but because of the mobile nature of working while walking, any additional peripheral is out of the question. But that Twiddler device comes close to being an alternative. It's worth a closer look. Thank you for mentioning those devices.

So we're back to hoping for tablet buttons. And for the current (or upcoming) version of the ModBook/ModBookPro, there is none. That's my understanding from a distance. The solution clearly lies in other slate tablets, namely the Fujitsu ST6012 and Motion LE1700.