modding the tx2500

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by miner, Jun 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fastforded

fastforded Pen Pal - Newbie

wondered if theres any good mods?

2. cloudnine

cloudnine Scribbler - Standard Member

I hear slapping a Vista or Intel sticker gives it an extra 10MHz of clockspeed.

3. Tiezep

Tiezep technology enthusiast

people would think it's faster if you put a phenom sticker on instead lol

from what I've gotten from here (and correct me if I'm wrong people) the cpu is not soldered on and it can be upgraded.

I will probably join in on the modding when my warranty goes out in January,
    -Tyler

4. octagonalman

octagonalman Pen Pal - Newbie

Maybe you could do something with the optical drive bay or replace the internal hard drive with something a bit more exciting.

5. fastforded

fastforded Pen Pal - Newbie

mine has all the stickers already!

6. cloudnine

cloudnine Scribbler - Standard Member

Seriously speaking, there are a lot of things you can do to the tx2500z.

Software wise, you can do a clean installation of Vista, undervolt the processor to reduce heat and gain battery life, update to the drivers, etc.

Hardware is more difficult. You can disassemble the notebook and lap the cooler, clean out the old thermal paste, and use arctic silver thermal compound. Your computer should run noticeably cooler.

For performance increase, upgrade the memory to low latency dual channel memory (two 1GB or 2GB sticks). Your integrated card uses system memory. The faster your system memory, the more performance in 3D applications.

An SSD will give you huge benefits in loading times.

7. Bernok

Bernok Scribbler - Standard Member

Or if you dont have the cash for an SSD a 7200RPM drive with large Cache will help too. (But it will make it slightly noisier and warmer)

8. Draconis_Torvus

Draconis_Torvus Pen Pal - Newbie

Quick question about memory. I have the 2510us, which has 3GB. I upgraded the 1GB stick to a 2GB PC2-6400 800MHz CL 6 from Crucial. I was hoping that by matching the sizes (and CL), dual channel would take effect and my memory speed would jump from 400MHz to 800MHz. So... where did I go wrong? CPU-Z still reports my memory speed to be 400MHz and the windows performance rating did not improve for video (although it did for memory). Do I have to match memory manufacturer as well?

9. miner

miner Scribbler - Standard Member

Dual channel doesnt double the frequency. Your memory will still run at the same frequency but the available bandwidth increases.

10. Draconis_Torvus

Draconis_Torvus Pen Pal - Newbie

Okay, I guess I was mistaken about the frequency doubling. However, why is my memory only operating at 400MHz then? Both sticks are rated at 800MHz and the specs I found for the 2500 say it can do 666/800. Am I misunderstanding something? Also, I've always heard that by upgrading the memory, the video performance score will increase, which it didn't.

Update: I re-ran the performance test again, and for some reason this time it produced a better score. I don't know why it didn't get it on the first reboot after the upgrade, but it seems to have caught it now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.