Modding the Tx1000 part 1 (changing the thermal compound)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Mighty ABACUS, Jul 21, 2007.

1. bt12345

bt12345 Pen Pal - Newbie

I would strongly advise against lubricating the fan. I personally feel that you should only lubricate the fan as a last resort and only if its necessary. I wouldn't bring WD40 anywhere close to that fan (only if you like to experiment and probably end up ruining it). I don't know who recommended that, but I suggest you do more research.

I've done this mod with TX-2 Tuniq thermal paste and I'm getting ~68C GPU and ~49 CPU, plus or minus 4 or 5 degrees. Everybody who does this mod should get these type of numbers. Big improvement from 93C GPU temperature I was getting before.

For video problems, maybe try getting a new motherboard. Its 400 dollars directly from HP, but if you try eBay you might find one for ~140.

Most of the sellers from eBay are located in China, so choose your seller carefully because in case the product is death on arrival, return shipping to China from the US is expensive and at least 20+ $.

I was lucky and found one brand new re-certified by HP motherboard for 150.

I used a .66mm copper shim and removed black paint from only the outer edges of the fins to achieve this result.

*Although this mod doesn't fix the heating problem entirely. It makes the laptop usable for light use (checking email, web browsing, etc). Don't use this laptop for anything cpu intensive.

2. Daral3

Daral3 Pen Pal - Newbie

Have not done the mod, yet. Added a dolop of OmegaTherm 201 to GPU and Core. Using FanSpeed 4.41, temps are GPU = 69, Core = 50, with cooling pad. Eager to try the mod. This is at low CPU utilization.

3. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Pen Pal - Newbie

Our tx2500 died 2 days ago.
    I cleaned off old thermal gunk, reseated the CPU w/ AS3, got it working....til today.

Now, looks like I'm gonna have to go back in and try everything here...ugh.
    Where are our congress people when we need them?
    Electronics warranties should be a mandatory 3 years!
    ..or 2 @ least!

4. Markos

Markos Pen Pal - Newbie

I want to use copper shims for my TX2500 because it is getting hotter and hotter. A few months ago I found a topic here with the right sizes for the cupper shims I should buy and with photos where to place which one. But I can't find that topic anymore. Can someone help me with that?
    Which size and what thickness and on what place.