Modding the Tx1000 part 1 (changing the thermal compound)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Mighty ABACUS, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Tiezep

Tiezep technology enthusiast

well I just redid my mod. But this time I had help from a friend (desktop computer guy, knows thermal paste)

it turns out putting on a glob of AS5 and smashing it down doesn't make for good contact (was hitting 95' C again)

after a 30 minutes on dirt 2 my tx2500 only hit 90'C! :D (and it hasn't even been broken in yet)

excited for my improved results :D
    -Tyler

2. alexinc

alexinc Pen Pal - Newbie

seems like the second tx (2500 this time) in family died today... well "i love hp" and already recommended everyone to get one! *AAARGH*
    just in case, i'm a system administrator and treated them like my babys - so no overheating related to bad working conditions! and my first ever notebook from "gericom" (not the most established company in the world) lasted for 8yrs...!!! once again, i love hp!

3. Tiezep

were they modded? are you sure it's not dead ram?

4. alexinc

alexinc Pen Pal - Newbie

mine is modded and well, using my ladys hairdryer fixed it once more - but i'm sooo tired of disassambling and doing the heater over and over again! i mean i cannot allow to have hit or miss when switching my hp on!? its not the way its meant to be! for the first 2 rounds i was quite optimistic and did a real good job in opening it up, getting a fitting part of aluminium on top of gpu (penny would be way too thick!), painting arctic silver with love on top of all e.g. - but now, holding the hairdryer right into the space of the cooler does the trick as well, doesnt take that much time and it lasts for the same time.

5. brato

brato Pen Pal - Newbie

maybe this is a solution ...i had an idea of about using the cd bay for using it as a extra cooling system like in the picture below :)

[​IMG]

6. Tiezep

interesting, if someone could put that into action I would really love see the results

really though, that also brings to mind is what if we could cut out the corner of the base that holds the heatsink in place... and/or if we could find a bigger heatsink (I wouldn't care if it protrudes a bit)

in essence if your idea did work then you would have an AMD powered tm2,
    -Tyler

7. brato

brato Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah , i will look at it after i finished school in 1 week ....now i have 2 exams... so i cant do jack now .

I dont think we can put a bigger heatsink instead of the old one because there seems to be no space left for a bigger one .

but in the cd space is really much room for a really big heatsink and a big fan ....the biggest problem is where do i get a heatpipe with the specs ...length width and so on ?

Does somebody know where i can take a 5 Volt or 12 volt source from the tx motherboard ...and if so how much amps can i crank out?

8. Tiezep

well, bad news. my tx2500 has been hitting 103'C while online gaming.

ugh, scrap my now worthless penny and back to the drawing board.

I'm going to switch to a copper shim and completely remove the paint from the heatsink.

what's the recommended thickness of a copper shim?

also, my dad is likely going to cut me a custom piece from a sheet of copper, if I make the shim a bit bigger so it protrudes a bit from the gpu (make it bigger than it needs to be) then would that help disperse heat better or not? (might try it and see what happens)

thanks,
    -Tyler

9. Tiezep

okay, I've got my piece of copper. but I still need a few pointers before I redo this.

1. how do I wash the copper?
    I accidentally left a finger print on it when I was cutting it.

2. how do I lubricate the fan?
    other users that had the best results wrote they did this. It would be nice to know how to do it.

thanks,
    -Tyler

also, my piece of copper isn't completely flat, should I worry about that or not?
    (slight bend, should make good contact though)

edit: to answer my own question, yahoo answers says "Use isopropyl alcohol and a soft cloth."

also they recommended WD40 for lubricating the fan, of course, unlike the answer I got, I recommend leaving your fan in one piece while you lubricate it.

10. fahadii

fahadii Pen Pal - Newbie

My laptop recently started giving me the problem where it doesn't show a display on boot so i tried the mod, reassembled the laptop. Switched it on but all i can see are lights flashing and no display..

What i did:
    I used Antec Forumula 5 Silver thermal compound since i couldn't get a hold of arctic..
    Applied a thin layer on the cpu and then reassembled everything. I did not use a penny or a copper sheet on it so i didn't use the heating method.. Did this cause the problem?
    This was actually the first time I opened a laptop apart and tried to fix it but I did take my time and made sure i did everything properly and slowly to avoid any problems and i'm glad my motherboard didn't fry out..

Could someone tell me what exactly i need to do to fix this issue? Please let me know asap because I need to start working on a presentation which is due on Tuesday!!

Thanks alot for the anticipation.
    Fahad Saleem