Modding the Tx1000 part 1 (changing the thermal compound)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Mighty ABACUS, Jul 21, 2007.

1. nobita107

nobita107 Pen Pal - Newbie

Not very good news: lappy died again today. While I was working, screen went blank all of a sudden.
    Redid the mod and again, it was resurrected. Now I'm totally inconfident that lappy would last long.
    Btw, dragilores, wifi is still working.

2. dragilores

dragilores Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks nobita. I will try that mod again.

Well, bad news: I was using XP, connected to LAN in my dorms. Incorrect driver caused blue screen that prompted XP to restart. Upon restart, tx1000 couldn't access BIOS or the HD. Laptop is completely dead.

I emailed Mark Hurd, got a call back from the exec team. Mgt refused to fix my laptop for free because I bought it in Aug 2007, so it's almost 2 years out of warranty. Got referred to case manager. He started mentioning how what I did was serious because he got a call from the exec team. He didn't sound too happy being connected to me through the mgt. Refused to provide discount to fix laptop, again, coz it's me being close to 2 years out of warranty.

Will call him again soon. How the hell can a frickin motherboard dies on its own? Man, hp should go down the drain and just disappear.

3. Tiezep

Tiezep technology enthusiast

due to me being a complete nub when it came to applying thermal paste back when I modded my tx, I have to go back and redo it.

but first I want to know how thick should my penny be?

also, can I lap the penny and the gpu's contact on the heatsink?

thank you,
    -Tyler

4. girishisgr8

girishisgr8 Pen Pal - Newbie

Guys can i have the complete set of tools required to do the mod..?

5. nobita107

nobita107 Pen Pal - Newbie

girishisgr8, this is the set you need:
    - Two screwdrivers to disassemble the whole unit (see the HP's manual for their sizes)
    - A small thin piece of copper shim
    - A little thermal glue (I used Arctic Silver 5)
    - A lint-free rag and alcohol to clean GPU, CPU and heatsink
    And if you're to burn the GPU, you'll need a halogen lamp or a hairdryer (I used the latter)
    That's it and you're good to go.

6. dragilores

dragilores Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Tyler, go get a copper shim on eBay. A penny is too thick. You only need 1/3 of the original thickness. That is a lot of penny to sand down.

I don't really recommend lapping the GPU heatsink because I never did it. But after I used a shim, I get about 60'C - 70'C on normal usage. On youtube watching, I reached mid 70's I think.

7. girishisgr8

guys my laptop was at the black screen of death stage.. i did the mod yesterday... burned the gpu with a 200v bulb and then applied artic silver and pushed it with a copper shim.. applied on the heat sink and cpu too and closed everything... yet it does not start at all.. ?.. same prob yet.. the HDD light turns off after blinking.. no boot yet... please help...:( :(

8. Tiezep

Tiezep technology enthusiast

a new motherboard sounds like your only solution

sorry, it's gonna cost ya

it's considerably less than a replacement laptop. Then do the mod on the new MB/undervolt it to keep it running for a long life,
    -Tyler

9. girishisgr8

It worked it worked.. used the hairdryer for about 6-10mins... did the trick ! its back on! after applying arctic silver and the copper shim the temps are
    Normal/Medium load..
    CPU- 40-44deg
    GPU- 65-70
    Is that fine?

10. alexinc

alexinc Pen Pal - Newbie

mine died for the 3rd time yesterday... time to spend some money and for sure it wont be hp again!!!