Modding the Tx1000 part 1 (changing the thermal compound)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Mighty ABACUS, Jul 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkfrost

Darkfrost Pen Pal - Newbie

Stripped the paint off already, not that it helped much
    Using a copper shim, and not a penny, works just as well, if not better ^^

Redoing the paste might be good idea. How'd you not put ENOUGH on though? I always end up putting too much, it's hard to get that stuff thin enough XD

2. dragilores

dragilores Pen Pal - Newbie

To give you guys an update, I redid the mod and discovered the following:

- I sanded down a 1974 Canadian penny but @ 1mm, it was still too thick for the CPU and heatsink (eliminating contact between them). So I bought a copper shim @ 0.5mm. My GPU is now hovering at 59'C - 63'C when not in load. I have not put any load on it (it will be explained next).

- I lapped my heatsink at the point of contact between the CPU and heatsink. I have no clue that lapping will not really make it shiny. It could, but it is hard with the design of the tx1000 heatsink. In the end, I think I took a lot of the copper off, so the heatsink became a bit thin at that point of contact. So far, I only put 1 blob of Arctic Silver 5 on the CPU. As of today, the CPU temperature stood at 39'C and it suddenly jumped to 63'C under a bit of load (transferring picture from my memory card reader to my HDD). This caused my HDD temperature to increase from 29'C to 41'C.

- I lost my wireless network in December and decided to give the lamp/hairdryer technique a try. I don't have high wattage lamp with me so I pointed my hairdryer at high fan 30cm above the motherboard for 12 mins and then I put some pressure on the GPU. Amazingly, my wireless card was recognized again. I am so glad.

(Of note, HP dumbfoundedly connected my wireless cable the other way around - GRAY at the top and BLACK at the bottom. It should have been the other way around. What this did was slow my wireless connection, but it also delayed its death. My wireless died 2.3 years after I bought it. So, I reversed the connection after the fix and it went faster)

So, I think I need to remod this one more time by adding more AS 5 on the CPU.

Good luck to all that want to try it.

(An owner of a tx1000 with TL-56 with 2GB RAM that spent the past month fixing the computer)

Needless to say, this may be my last HP product unless someone can convince me that I will not have to deal with fixing it myself or having it breakdown within 5 years since purchase.

3. alexinc

alexinc Pen Pal - Newbie

my 2 cents again, after bringing it back 2 life for the 2nd time:

take care of the little transistors on top of the gpu, when pushing on it after heating. they can get moved accidentally!!! it happend to me and they needed to be soldered back again... from there on i have nvdllmkm.sys error whenever starting a movie or dvd - no matter what program i use. flash-movies and all other stuff seems to work fine so far.

guess it was my first and last hp... hopefully all victims of hp politics will do this way!

4. dragilores

Hm... I hope that doesn't happen to me.
    alexinc, can you take a pic to show the transistor that you are talking about? I have no solder, so I really hope I won't have to do what you went through.

5. alexinc

alexinc Pen Pal - Newbie

as i already rebuild everything and to see the transistors you would have to remove the complete cooler again (arctic silver would have been redone again too...), i'm sorry no picture from me. but i'm talking about the tiny little things right on top of the gpu located around the core... you cant miss them, each is soldered left and right with the gpu - if you need to put pressure on your gpu right after heating it - just take care, that you only touch the core (black thing on top of gpu)!!! if you use towel or similar (its to hot for finger only!) be really careful...

you can see them in first post of this thread between step 8 and 9! there are some points of solder on top of the gpu and looking at this picture the upper part above the core has most transistors located...

6. dragilores

Hi alexinc, after sending the message to you, I realized that it's probably a crazy idea to have you take the picture. But now I think I know where it is.

So an update: I added AS 5 and the CPU cooled down to 35'C - 40'C. Wireless worked. However, I added the stuff last night, used it for 15 mins and carried it around. Wireless worked in the morning, then GPU heated up. I shut it down and took it around. Half hour later, wireless disappeared. How long did you keep your laptop in normal working position after you reheated the GPU and after you added AS 5?

How long ago did you do the mod? Is the wireless still working? What did you use for the GPU heating trick (bulb/hairdryer)?

Thanks a lot. I am getting frustrated and I think I am getting another laptop (not by HP) to get my work done in the meantime I fix this.

7. dragilores

8. iofthestorm

iofthestorm Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys,

My tx2110us just started showing some of the issues that the others have, like the no booting/no BIOS/black screen thing at the beginning of this video . However, I've never had heat issues and even now when it does boot it doesn't go over 60-70c usually, so I'm not sure what's up. I'm going to follow the procedure in that video and hope it works I guess. It does make sense that the GPU might have come loose but I'm not sure when this happened. Does the monitor actually get fully detached from the PC like shown in the first picture in this thread? That seems a bit scary to me. Despite the fact that I've taken this apart before, I am a bit nervous about doing such an invasive procedure (I'm no surgeon, my hands are not very steady ;)). It seems like it's best to just get a piece of copper shim rather than mess around with a penny, right?

Edit: Haven't read this whole thread yet, just the first few and last few pages, but I will do so soonish. I have a week off for spring break so I have time to fix this properly, and I want to make sure the fix works.

9. Tiezep

Tiezep technology enthusiast

what actually happens is the gpu will typically run hotter than the cpu and it can somewhat detach itself from the mother board.

the graphics chip doesn't physically come off of the board, but it does knock itself out of working order

your monitor stays attached but the computer can't produce a picture or allocate memory properly because the graphics chip is also the north bridge.

also I'm somewhat like you, bad with my hands, but I'm good with small stuff. really this procedure isn't that tough, and if you mess up can always go back and try again.
    -Tyler

10. alexinc

alexinc Pen Pal - Newbie

i used a heat gun for not more than a minute! what helps alot: put some coin or similar on top of gpu and a little bit of solder on there... if this starts to melt, u should have heated the unit long enough. ;)

wireless and everything is still working - besides the nvdllkmk.sys error, which always occurs when openeing any kind of movies (besides flash)! tried it yesterday without nvidia-drivers (standard vga) and videos were running, so it seems the driver tries to adress some registers on gpu which i maybe overheated or are not soldered right back, when i accidentally moved the transistors!? will do a complete reinstall of win7, but im almost sure its a hardware failure...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.