Modding the Tx1000 part 1 (changing the thermal compound)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Mighty ABACUS, Jul 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkfrost

Darkfrost Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, I've already done the mod ^^ Still gets fairly hot though (Up to 85C or so, Haven't let it get above)

I was wondering more when the 'danger' temperature is, as in, the temperature where there begins to be a risk of GPU failure

Also, Tx2000 gpu temps show up in Speedfan and CPUID Hardware monitor, for me, not sure about 2500 though, since that had a different gpu

2. alexinc

alexinc Pen Pal - Newbie

hi guys, this time i need your help urgently...

my tx1410us died 3weeks ago and i did recover it by heating the gpu. this time it died again, but right before the lan died and disappeared. after having lost wlan connection several times before (dont know if depending on tx or router), im not sure if only heating gpu will solve the lan-problem. should i also heat the southbridge(?) - the other big nvida-chip on the back near the bios-battery? thx i.a. alex

3. alexinc

alexinc Pen Pal - Newbie

to answer this for myself: after heating gpu again, wlan is back on track!

maybe kind of useful - copper isnt the only solution for cooling down gpu, as hp added aluminium between gpu and cooler anyways... so heat wouldnt be transfered any faster from pgu, just because you use copper instead of aluminium to fill the gap between gpu and cooler.

4. Darkfrost

Couple of questions guys:

Just noticed, the majority of the fan is covered up by that ****ty plastic cover, think it would work better if most of that was removed? (The one behind the fan in this pic - it's covering well over half of the fan blades...)
    [​IMG]

Also, any idea what voltage the fan is? 12v or 5v? / what? Planning to wire up a second fan above the gpu, since it's still getting too hot :(

+++ Any idea how to underclock/undervolt the gpu? All I can find instructions on is for the ATI gpu in the 2500 :(

5. Tiezep

Tiezep technology enthusiast

underclocking the gpu is possible in the 2500
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=23447

as for the voltage of the fan I think you will need to look for some service manuals or something of the sort from hp.

as for undervolting the 3200, I haven't seen anything turn up through google or tablet pc review searches,
    -Tyler

edit: oh snap, you don't have a 2500 do you? my bad.

however I would like read your results if you were to remove the plastic around the fan.

6. alexinc

alexinc Pen Pal - Newbie

i'm not quite sure what kind of plastic you mean!?... the black stripe on the copper seems the be magnetic, so the cooler keeps its position!? and the other plastic gives the direction in which the air flows, i wouldnt change that for anything, as its really important to get the hot air out of the case in an pre-defined way... airflow seems to be the word!?

7. Darkfrost

The plastic / metal ONTOP of the fan - Most of the fan is covered by it, and there's very little airflow :-/

8. alexinc

alexinc Pen Pal - Newbie

for what reason? ;) at least i wouldnt and didnt care bout it, as mentioned fixes already did the trick... :)

9. Darkfrost

Mine still get too hot under load. Done the fixes, but it'll still happily go to 85C+. Which is too hot, since I've started to have heat problems again ._. (Likely to heatgun it again soon)

10. Tiezep

Tiezep technology enthusiast

try going back and redoing your mod. I had to do it twice because I didn't put enough arctic silver 5 on the first time. :rolleyes:

also strip the paint off the heatsink if you haven't already done so.
    -Tyler

also make sure you use a sanded down 1970's canadian penny for a gpu heatsink sandwiched between arctic silver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.