Modding the Tx1000 part 1 (changing the thermal compound)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Mighty ABACUS, Jul 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dragilores

dragilores Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys, I have been reading the thread for a while and decided to give the mod a go on my tx1000.
    Everything went well except for the lapping part.

Since the copper surface of the heatsink is inside, protected by the black thing, I have no luck in flattening the surface, let alone making it shiny. I cannot perform the conventional lapping technique.
    I have totally scratched up the heatsink and cannot fix it.
    Before I "lapped" it, the processor was at 35*C when I was watching youtube. Afterwards, it shot up to 60*C for just booting the computer on.

If you guys can give me a tip on how I could fix it, I would appreciate it. I have been tx1000-less for a week now and it's driving me nuts coz I cannot do HW.

Thanks a bunch.

And how much Arctic Silver should I use? A thin strip? A thick layer? A dot? Should I put it on GPU and CPU and should the amount be the same on each? Thanks again.

2. Tiezep

Tiezep technology enthusiast

first of all if your computer was already running at 35' C why did you even do the mod? (sounds like that one was a gem)

also when I did the mod I didn't lap my heatsink at all, I removed the junk off it but it that was it.

may I suggest buying a new heatsink on ebay and giving this another go.

use a copper sheet or a sanded down penny (preferably a 1970's canadian penny) and the unconventional but working method is to put a small glob on the gpu, let the penny smoosh it and then put a glob on the heatsinks bit and let that mash in too.

as for the cpu I put 2 globs of artic silver on the core and used a cardboard business card to make a somewhat thick and flat layer of artic silver on it.

it's better than what it used to be but I consider running temps of 65-70' better than 75-80's

also arctic silver makes the lowest possible temperature higher than it should be, but it also makes the highest possible temperature lower, and the tx series is usually running high temps so it's a win win I guess,
    -Tyler

3. colmiak

colmiak Pen Pal - Newbie

so did this mod today on my tx2510us

my idle temps barely dropped, if at all

my load temps however did drop like 15 degrees

before
    idle 59 - 67
    load 87 - 100

after
    idle/web browsing 58-65
    load 77-85

while im happy about my load temps going down, i really wanted my idle temps to go down to around 40 -55 :\
    reason why is because i hate when my fan comes on, so my main purpose for doing this mod was to get rid of fan noise.

i used artic silver matrix, its not easy to apply and i honestly don't like it. im gonna try ocz freeze on it either later today, or tomorrow. freeze has no curing time so maybe it'll be better.

i did use a copper shim, but i didn't clean the black paint off the fins. i'll prolly do that next but i doubt that'll do much for the cpu..

on a side note: who here has a tx2000 (not 1000 or tz2) and has idle temps in the 40's range? i ask because i noticed that alot of the tx1000 ppl got the low low idle temps and one tz2 user got them too but tx2000 ppl seem to have relatively high idle temps.

4. Tiezep

try undervolting your cpu and underclocking your gpu

underclocking your gpu from 400 mhz to 350 mhz makes no difference performance wise, and lowers temps (lowering it more will make it cooler but slower)

gpu:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=23447

undervolting your cpu reduces the max voltage going into your cpu and through some magic gives you lower temps and doesn't change performance

cpu:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=21877

just don't switch to battery when your pc is under very heavy load while undervolted, it will freeze,
    -Tyler

5. dragilores

dragilores Pen Pal - Newbie

Now that I think about it, I think I am dumb in trying to lap the heatsink. I didn't really think that 35'c was low. That was last week anyway. Now I am a week and 35'c wiser but $10 poorer. Not that bad though.

The problem was the GPU really. My wireless died because of it and my HDD started to heat up a lot, which worried me. Oh well, I wanted to make the whole laptop better. But yeah. Hahaha. That didn't turn out so well. Thanks for the advice Tyler. I bought one off eBay. Hopefully it will be pretty good. I will then slap into onto my tx and try to lap my current one if I can... Nothing to lose at this point.

6. colmiak

colmiak Pen Pal - Newbie

yep im already undervolted, havent tried the gpu underclock though. thanks

and my computer used to freeze all the time from unplugging it, but my old charger finally broke and i got a new one, those ugly 90W smart adapter that doesnt even fit the tx series properly, instead it brings a dongle. however, this new charger doesnt seem to make my computer freeze after switching to battery. so i kinda like my new ugly charger :)

and tomorrow i'll have ocz freeze on it, so hopefully my temps will go down. i also set the bios to fan always on bc i'd rather have a low constant noise than it being completely silent and then randomly turning on. it sounds more annoying when its completely silent and then turns on, i want to throw it when that happens lol.

hopefully freeze will let me keep it with the bios setting to fan off, if not im gonna try artic cooling mx-3 next. i will have a silent tx2500 damm it ;)!

7. Tiezep

if you're looking for completely silent then you picked the wrong laptop : P

but in all seriousness (I lack the knowledge how to) you could probably make it almost fan-less if you could under clock the processor down a lot (does 1.4 ghz sound good? yeah, go with that) to 1.4 ghz and also underclock your gpu.

you'll have higher performance than when on battery and it should still be a more than passable windows experience.

me, well I'm fine with it running at 70'C with heavy gpu load 24/7, I've had computers a lot louder than this

also I enjoy the white noise, (miss those pc's)
    -Tyler

8. colmiak

colmiak Pen Pal - Newbie

haha yeap, definitely the wrong pc for silence.

and no, i dont want to sacrifice performance for silence, i dont want it that bad heh.

but on the bright side, i left wprime 1024 running today and the highest temp hwmonitor recorded was 90. and the lowest recorded was 43! however, when i came back to it it was around 49 and as soon as i started using it, it went up to around 52-56... but im getting closer to my goal! i might stick with artic silver matrix for a while longer. havent given it nearly enough time to "burn in" although i think that leaving wprime running definitely helped speed up the process. i'll prolly leave w prime running overnight again.

i'm about to reboot and set the bios to fan off and see if i can still have these low temps. fingers crossed!

9. Darkfrost

Darkfrost Pen Pal - Newbie

Curious, we all known the Tx series has the heat problems that cause it to break down, but do we actually know what temperatures is dangerous?

I've been trying to keep my GPU from going above 80C, but it does sometimes. What temperature should I start getting worried at?

10. colmiak

colmiak Pen Pal - Newbie

so after applying ocz freeze, my temps have gone to 41 to 52 while idling

while doing light web browsing/word processing/chatting my temps are around 52 to 60, and my fan won't go past the lowest setting unless im using it on my bed or something (meaning not adequate airflow)

under load, my temps wont go past 83 now :)

im pretty happy with the results, but i still can't have the fan completely off like i want. if i set the fan to off in bios, idle temps arent as low (that should be a given i guess, no fan on = no cooling)

still, i persevere and have ordered shin etsu x23 7783D and i also ordered the older kind by mistake (7762)
    i'll be trying the 7783D first as reviews around the web seem to give that one the best idle temps.

this is all on the "high performance" power plan btw

edit: darkfrost, i can't comment on the gpu temps because the tx2000 series doesnt seem to have a sensor for the gpu, i cant see any temps in cpuid or everest ultimate :/

but it seems this mod cools down the gpu considerably, so i would think you should be fine after doing the mod :) 80c doesnt seem too high at all considering my cpu would show temps of 90C and above up to (and sometimes past) 100C before this mod

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.