Modding the Tx1000 part 1 (changing the thermal compound)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Mighty ABACUS, Jul 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kanehi

kanehi Scribbler - Standard Member

The penny trick is temporary..enough to save your data. I did the trick 3 times and still didn't last long. I also heated the gpu and reseated it and it was a no go. eBay has some MB for sale (tested) but it's kind of expensive.. the cheapest was $200! I'll wait for the tm2 to see what that one has to offer.

2. arover

arover Pen Pal - Newbie

I have to post to testify a company I've been using to help with my TX1000 repair over the past 6 months. I found these guys (http://laptopsprofessional.com) on ebay, but mainly used them because they're local to the bay area in CA. I paid 150 on ebay for them to replace the BGA chip on the motherboard. This fixed the problem for just under 3 months. Luckily they provide 3 months warranty coverage (Keep in mind that HP provides one for their 400$ motherboard replacement). I sent the laptop in again, they replaced the BGA chip again free of charge. After a few weeks, it failed AGAIN. So I sent my TX1000 in once again, this time with a long note providing the tips that the users have given here. I just called them to see how the repairs are going. NOW they're providing an entire motherboard replacement, and adding new thermal paste, ALL UNDER THE SAME ORIGINAL COST (meaning by now...pretty much free). IF this doesn't work, then they're going to refund my money entirely! I highly recommend them to anyone in the Northern California area...or even not. They took perfect care of my hardware throughout the whole process. The only gripe has been dealing with UPS and insuring/packing the laptop correctly...3 times in a row.

When I receive the laptop again, I'm going to attach a fan like the usb one in the first post. I'm wondering how the user constructed it/where he ordered the parts from?

3. Yianaki

Yianaki Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the tx2500 2400mhz and the fan is annoying and the heat in my lap is too much on full power mode. I don't game on the laptop much and was wondering if arctic silver use lowered the temps by itself by a bit. I have every power mode set to GPU power saver except for High Performance mode, which I usually don't use. With windows 7 can't tell the difference in performance between the two modes.

I was going to keep on using the included hp thermal pad. I don't want to deal with any issues that may arise with the penny's thickness ecet. Would it help any to put a layer of actic silver on the included HP pad itself as well as the CPU?

4. Tiezep

Tiezep technology enthusiast

yes, I have a few specific questions too (I don't want to screw this up)

does the whole cpu make contact with the heat sink or is it just the core? (or whatever it is that bulges up on laptop cpu's)

if it's just the core should I only put the thermal paste only on that, and if so how much?

can I put arctic silver 5 directly on the gpu, then put copper on top of that and put some more arctic silver 5 between the copper and the heatsink? (kinda sandwich the copper between thermal paste and the heatsink)

thanks, gotta do this before my semester starts next week,
    -Tyler

(well that and a clean install of win 7, also a ram upgrade and palm rest change are planned too!)

5. Tiezep

okay, I found a 1974 canadian penny in my change bowl (98% copper!)

how exactly do I sand it down? (someone mentioned let it soak in ketchup earlier)

any tools needed to sand it down? what kind of sand paper?

thanks, I want my lappy to live a long and good life,
    -Tyler

6. Tiezep

just did the mod and the compy posts so that's a good sign.

I only took the black paint off the bigger part of the heat sink (ran low on acetone) and so far so good, I will be running a heat monitor to see if it has made a difference.

I will also test it after some gaming :D,
    -Tyler

uh, the normal use temperature on power saver in win 7 is hovering around 55' C

I think I did something wrong, seriously, how do I properly apply the thermal paste to the cpu?

also I don't know how to monitor the gpu temp (I have a feeling I did that one properly though)

normal use temp on high performance is 70' C!?!

back to the drawing board... :(

another update:

went back and redid it, now has a normal high performance (on AC) use temp at around 65' C

7. metalmayhem9

metalmayhem9 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just did the mod. Kudos to Mighty ABACUS. At first it did not work when i put a sanded 1964 us penny between the heatsink and the GPU chip sandwiched between two THIN layers of Arctic Silver 5. The laptop wont post and make one long and two short beeps.

So i took off the penny and put a thick layer of the thermal compound instead. PC posted and booted Windows.

The mod definitely lowered temperature by ~20C under normal use in a/c power. But it still hovers around 75C and goes above 92C when I watch HD movie with the laptop sitting on a table with no cooling pad. Is it normal? Or should I get a copper shim? Is there anything else that can be done? Thank you. :)

8. CiViCKiDD

CiViCKiDD Pen Pal - Newbie

Like a lot of the recent posters I still have heat problems after the mod. :(

I inherited this POS laptop when I married my now-wife. I figured it would be good as a media center, but its original idle temps were INSANE!! I don't remember what the CPU was, since those temperatures seemed normal, but the GPU idled at 95C.

Ended up buying a copper shim off eBay for $6 shipped, took it apart and applied Arctic Silver 5 and the GPU is down to ~61C idle, about the same with the CPU. I ran some tests and two minutes under full load i'm hitting CPU temps of 80C (the test automagically stops when it detects CPU temps over 80C), and GPU temps of 75C. It'll probably keep going up if uninterrupted.

Now, I ripped it apart a second time and redid EVERYTHING only to end up with the same result. This has me baffled, there's no dust in there, GPU gap is gone, I don't think (?) there's a gap between the heatsink and CPU so no copper shim there, and Arctic Silver 5 all around. What else can I do!?!?

9. Tiezep

I had the same result at first, but then I went back and completely covered the top shiny bit of the cpu with the arctic silver 5 and huzzah, it maxes out at around 85' C when playing h2v, but hovers around 65 with when normal use at the highest settings.

also if you ever have the time I would switch out your penny with one with a higher copper composition.

US penny:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_(United_States_coin)

Canadian (better copper composition)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_penny

I used a 1974 Canadian penny, good results

however, you are having a good result if it doesn't reach 100' C when doing something graphics intensive (gaming, HD) and it will improve a little bit more as the paste settles in

also undervolt it for an even lower temperature too without taking a hit on performance,
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/pumastatectrl/ (tx2500 and tx2z, or all AMD Turion X2 ultra machines)

hope this can help anyone else who's looking for better info on the mod,
    -Tyler

and as for civic kid it seems he may have a faulty mother board, otherwise his heat sink might be screwed up.

you should give it another go, but how much arctic silver 5 did you use on it? did you spread it out evenly over the cpu?

10. metalmayhem9

metalmayhem9 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks to Tiezep for the links.

But I had to get rid of the penny because error noises came from my motherboard when I put the penny between the GPU and the heatsink. One long and two short beeps.

My concern were the error beep it made and not posting after putting the penny in. Regardless of you have 95% copper or 98% in your penny it will transfer heat at almost the same rate.

Perhaps the GPU had too much pressure applied on it after you screw the x-clamp? (You know, the space between the GPU and heatsink is not more than a millimeter)

Can anyone shed some light on it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.