modding a fujitsu 5030

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vandallas, May 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vandallas

vandallas Pen Pal - Newbie

i just bought a fujitsu st5030 refurbished and i've been having some fun with it. one little think that is pissing me off however is how slow writing messages is. so i've decided to add a touchscreen and then either find, or write a program to bring up a keyboard whenever i click on a text field.

does anyone know how the screen on this tablet works? is the glass essential to the operation of the pen? if i could remove it and not adversly affect the pen's usage that would be best, then it would just be a simple matter of installing a touchscreen and soldering the connection to one of the usb's internally.

any thoughts are welcome.

thanks.

2. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

the Wacom digitizer is behind the display, so the glass cover is only for protection there. But do you realy want a passive digitizer?

This will decrease the display quality and I don't think that you will be able to type much better with this.

When you use the pen, you can also use the OnScreenKeyboard, and if you don't like the QWERTY style, then you can use other, better and faster OnScreenKeyboards, too.
    Like Inscribe, which supports Slideentry or other on screen keyboards.

3. vandallas

hmm. I think its worth a shot. has anyone done anything like this before?

4. vandallas

is there even room inside the fujitsu to add a logic board?

5. Colourful Zone

Colourful Zone Using T2020 thru DIY e-PCIe I/F, now using T904

I don't think so. I also saw this kind of passive touch screen and the control board with USB adapter. The size of the board is not so small and I don't think there is a such space inside the Fujitsu notebook since generally their notebook is desgined to make use of all space in it. :)

However, I do not have a look of Fujitsu 5030 inside so you should open it to check it first.

6. vandallas

7. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

and why should this touchscreen allow you to type faster?

8. vandallas

with a touch screen i would be able to, in theory, type on a virtual keyboard with my fingers.

9. vandallas

10. ennui

ennui Pen Pal - Newbie

Any touch screen you are going even be able to hack'n mod in is going to be a resistive touchscreen. Capacitive touch is the new hotness, but your best chances of getting a capactive digitizer are to buy 1000 or more of them together, buy a multi-touch monitor and remove the digitizer, or buy a multi-touch tablet and remove the screen assembly. All of these options are more expensive than your tablet itself.

If you do try and hack'n mod a touch screen onto a device that never supported one, good luck trying to find a compatible touch panel. Good luck trying to find wiring diagrams for both your tablet and the touch panel. Good luck installing the panel between the LCD and the screen protector without breaking something or getting dust between them. Good luck connecting the panel to the UART or USB interface. Good luck soldering on the system board without shorting something. Good luck trying to keep the cost of the project below what it would cost to buy a new tablet. And finally, good luck putting your tablet back together when you hit a wall and give up.

If typing fast was a requirement, you never should've bought a slate in the first place, and your best bet now is to get a portable USB or bluetooth keyboard to lug around with it. I would suggest just buying a used Latitude XT or HP TX2 as they both have capacitive panels, but those come with keyboards and kind of negate your whole reason to get a touch panel in the first place. In short, get an external keyboard or get a different tablet because modding in a touch panel is going to be next to impossible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.