Modded Bios 704 questions

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by motionfan, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motionfan

motionfan Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,

I am interested in applying the modded Bios 704, as available through CF77. My reasons to do so have nothing to do with speed. I am having a real problem finding a 128GB SSD compatible with my EP121, and one of the members of this forum has noted that the modded bios helped with the SSD compatibility problem. My questions are:
    1) Has anyone else found the modded bios 704 has made more SSD's compatible with their EP121? I have tried the MydigitalSSD bulletproof series and the Crucial M4 series. Both SSD's had trouble with BSOD after sleep.
    2) Will the onboard BIOS flash installation program work with the modded 704? I have read several posts re: Winflash, windows 8, and easyflash but I am not sure which to use with Win 8.
    3) What did the modded bios do to battery life? My machine is for workand mostly for reviewing pdf's, so battery life is key.

Thanks in advance.

2. AlunReynolds

AlunReynolds Scribbler - Standard Member

This one works fine with the standard BIOS: MyDigitalSSD 128GB 50mm Bullet Proof mSATA SSD - MDMS-50128

I installed mine around 6 months ago and have had no problems whatsoever.

3. motionfan

motionfan Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the reply. I called that company after I tried a similar drive from them. Apparently, there is a compatilibty probem with the Bullet Proof drives they now have but there upcoming Smart Series drives work. However, looking at the power draws of that drive, I am left looking for more.

4. edufour

edufour Pen Pal - Newbie

Have you found a solution ? And where can I find this modded Bios 704 ? I have an EP121 and purchased a Crucial SSD m4 128 Gb, upgraded to the latest firmware 04MH, Bios 704 and installed Windows 8 Pro. The disk crashed after awake from sleep and it's my second SSD, I thought it was a defect of the first one I bought, but it looks like it's a common problem after a search in the various forums. You seemed the closest to a solution and I wondered if you found a solution ?
    Thanks for your help

5. milowerx

milowerx Pen Pal - Newbie

I upgraded my Asus EP121 to the Crucial 256gb drive and it also suffers from the BSOD. But only when I unplug it, plug it in or it hibernates or goes to sleep. I did not use the modded 704 bios but rather the straight downloaded one from Asus. It seems like it doesn't matter as the problem persists. What is the advantage of the modded 704 biios vs. the standard Asus one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.