ModBook Pro

Discussion in 'Axiotron Modbook' started by Zero, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Zero

Zero Scribbler - Standard Member

Modbook Pro - Laptops - CNET Reviews

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

1280x800... Sent to die...

3. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

Pretty standard for a TabletPC, so it's hardly a disadvantage. That Cnet (yuck) article seems to be full of the normal ignorance. "But I haz more pixelz than u!!!!").

4. Shogmaster

By the time this thing is out, you know what else will be out? Something made my Microsoft with 1920x1080 LCD... And that's probably just one of many other W8 tablets that will sport higher res than 1280x800...

5. seraphsword

seraphsword Pen Pal - Newbie

Shog, are you talking about the Surface? Because even with Win 8 I'd still consider that a media tablet. I haven't heard anything about it supporting pressure sensitivity, which the Modbook will, which is one of the primary selling points for it. So for people who want to use art apps on an actual OS, media tablets like Surface are pretty useless. Art apps for the Ipad (Procreate, Brushes, SBP) and Android (just SBP i think) can be pretty good, but always with caveats. I don't know of any apps for Windows that are set to work around the limitations of not having sensitivity, and even if they did, they would still be at a disadvantage.

Really, the appeal of a Modbook, or similar tablet, is that it's like having a portable Cintiq.

If Asus or Samsung update their tablets with comparable specs to the Modbook, they'll likely be a cheaper, possibly better alternative.

Now, if they said they were modding the Retina this would be a different discussion. Of course that would probably have a sticker price in the range of $3000.

6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

They should be modding the retina. the dedicated gpu would help too.

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

lmao....is that a joke...if Asus or Samsung made Slate Tablet PCs with the full voltage core i5s or i7s like the Modbook Pro has....the tablet would be twice as thick, twice as heavy, and generate alot more heat and have worse battery life, and would still be more expensive. And the Modbook Pro as is will probally cost $3000. The last Modbook cost about $2000 if you wanted to buy without supplying your own Macbook. I'm sure for a "Pro" they'll be more then happy to charge more.

And as far as the Retina Display goes...while I would personally love to see that screen thrown on a Wacom Penabled Tablet....unfortunatly the Modbook process requires removing the old screen and using a new one. Even if they were to take the Retina Display 15 inch Macbook Pro and Modbook it, you'd lose the Retina benefit when they swap out the screen.

8. seraphsword

seraphsword Pen Pal - Newbie

I would wager the new modbook will come in around $2000-2300. Since the models they would be modded from are starting around $1200, and the old version added around $800-1000 to the regular price.

As for the Asus/Samsung thing, they generally use SSD, while Macbook Pros use 5400rpm hdd, which is a plus for the PCs in my book (I don't generally need all the space, for some people this is a bigger concern). i5/i7 is already pretty much assured for the Samsung, and likely the Asus as well, though I'll concede there aren't a lot of details, so they may not be full fledged. I doubt they would be any hotter than a Macbook though. I work with Macs everyday, and even in light use they will nearly burn your fingerprints off. There's a reason they stopped calling them "laptops".

I'm fine with my EP121 for now, it does what I need. But, this fall should be pretty interesting with everything that's coming down the pipeline.

9. Shogmaster

I asked the guy about that. He says the 13" Macbooks are hard wired to a 1280x800 limit for internal wiring. You can't swap LCDs. So unless they switch to a 15" form factor, 1280x800 is max they can do.

10. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There is no way to swap in the higher res MBA screen(though you loose a bit in contrast and color gamut)? I really like it, and almost want to get one, but I wish it was a bit thinner and offered a keyboard dock.

11. Shogmaster

12. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

dear god....thats as nuts as Wacom charging $3600 for the multi-touch Cintiq.

You'd think with the slew of Digitizer enabled Windows 8 Tablets about to hit...they would try to a be a bit more competitively priced.

13. Jambalaya

Jambalaya Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't get the surprise over the cost of a Modbook Pro. If you start with a Macbook Pro and THROW MOST OF IT IN THE TRASH why would anyone ever think you could make this thing for a competitive price. With Jobs out of the picture (rip) perhaps there's a chance for third party devices to run Mac OSX. That would allow Axiotron and others to design affordable devices for niche markets.

Funny how no one's ever complained about not getting a kickback from Axiotron/Modbook Inc for the parts they remove and obviously re-sell when converting Macbooks. I wonder what a new Macbook Pro screen is worth?

14. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

lol
    *bubble burst*

but I agree with you that it should be cheaper... this thing is a lesser version of what the T902 is. Unless you are desperate for OSX... I just can't see anyone buying this overpriced frankenMAC if they knew something like the T902 already exists.

15. Jambalaya

Jambalaya Pen Pal - Newbie

Though my compatriots had various PC tablets for work I bought an original Modbook because of my huge investment in OSX software. Adding it up I found it almost (repeat "almost") came out even. My modbook is still ticking along without any issues ever so it worked out pretty well.

16. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Scribbler - Standard Member

I can understand. I've switched back to the Windows platform this month after using OS X for 12 years. Turning my back to all the software (albeit most of it is older software) is the hardest part.