Modbook has arrived

Discussion in 'Axiotron Modbook' started by wallywld, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edwood

Edwood Scribbler - Standard Member

Read the title of the Video again. It has Leopard in the title. The video is barely a month old. It was done in December of 2007 in an Apple store with Leopard.

Has nothing to do with the hardware, it's the software. I get fantastic handwriting recognition with an even older UD series based Pen Partner (which is what was used in that video with Leopard) with Vista. Even when writing really sloppy and fast.

You obviously didn't watch the whole video. But here's a link to a YouTube Vid with sloppy and fast handwriting in Vista.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANgzQizAkFg&feature=user

Without proper software support, hardware is pointless. The Modbook is really only for die hard Apple users/artists that won't ever touch a PC with a ten foot pole. Ironically the Modbook is slate only, so it is quite crippled and yeah, have fun with Photoshop and Painter without a keyboard. But, yeah, like the Macbook Air you can make up for all it's shortcomings by carrying an assload of accessories.

-Ed

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

You can always install Vista on the Modbook Ed. That'll solve the recognition problem. ;)

The thing that concerns me more is that there are no hardware buttons and that it looks like you're gonna have to take apart the whole thing to get to the screen. Hopefully it's not dust creep prone.

Also, for a supposedly artist aimed slate, the bezel around the LCD is a shame.

3. iRabbit

iRabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, are you somehow personally offended if others choose to buy a Mac over a PC? I specifically said I couldn't argue it, and that I'd only like to see a fair comparison. Saying the hardware doesn't matter only proves you don't know much about drawing tablets.

Do me a favor, if you want to argue PC vs. Mac go start your own post about it. I don't understand your need to come into someone's post just to say "nah nah, what you bought sucks"... and "only so-and-so would buy THAT". What, are you 12?

4. iRabbit

iRabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Shog,

Actually, the lack of hardware buttons concerns me too... Having not owned a tablet pc before I probably won't miss them, but by the same token, I know the benefits of hot keys. We'll see how it plays out when I finally start using it.

I've heard (or read) you talk about dust-creep before, and all I can say is I hope too it's not prone to that... time will tell! If Axiotron was smart, and considering they were aiming the product at artists and designers first, you'd think they would look at the problems of other tablets and try to improve on those... but who the heck knows. I'm not an engineer myself, so I don't know the challenges faced in coming up with a dust-creep-proof tablet PC.

All I know at this point is I wish the silly thing would get here already! LOL

5. Ken P.

Ken P. Pen Pal - Newbie

6. iRabbit

iRabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

7. chrislev

chrislev Pen Pal - Newbie

WOW, i ordered one Jan 1st 2008 fully loaded 4g ram 200 7200rpm HD. i don't think Axiotron or QWC have any idea of when they are going to ship to any of us, i bet the VP doesn't even have one. Apple's iPhone went to AT&T and the service AT&T provides is a 2 out of 10 on reception, the only good thing was Apple flooded the market so all of us could have one. Now Apple lets a company trickle out systems. I hate waiting

8. waiveform

waiveform Pen Pal - Newbie

I ordered Dec 28th...but I'm TRYING to cancel my order. We'll see apparently. Here's a question??? WHY in the WORLD are we not seeing youtube videos and testimonials from proud ModBook owners!?!
    I appreciate you guys who've blogged it up and what not, but let's start seeing some fanfare, let's have some hi-def gloating...nah nah na nah nah, I got a ModBook, haha.
    So if we assume that people who are buying ModBooks are fairly tech-savvy and they probably know how to get online and probably post information like this SOMEwhere...then we can only assume that since we can CONFIRM the presence of less than a handful of ModBooks globally that Axiotron is shipping one every other day?????? HAHAHAHA, has anyone ever seen these people from Axiotron? Maybe Axiotron is JUST Andreas Haas, and maybe he's shipping these out one at a time because he has to do everything himself. And he waits until the person he shipped one to gets it before starting on the next one, hahahaha, i'm so bored i'm delerious. DAMN YOU AXIOTRON!!!

9. iRabbit

iRabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

Same specs here... ordered January 8th, 2008.
    From what I've been told it seems beginning to middle of February is the "company line" for people who ordered around the same time as us. I've heard everything from "next week" (end of January) to "mid-february".

I wonder what it's like to work for Axiotron and Other World Computing right now... ;)

10. gekim

gekim Animator

hi i was wondering has anybody installed windows vista in this thing? either in parallels or bootcamp?

since this is suppose to be "meant for artists" i'd want to know if it can handle a windows platform properly with pressure sensitivity,

maybe do a comparison sketch???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.