Modbook has arrived

Discussion in 'Axiotron Modbook' started by wallywld, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iRabbit

iRabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

That's why I stay away from math ;)
    Jeez man, nothing like posting a message to bring a gal down! I'm trying to be optimistic here. I had ordered on the 8th (of THIS January) and was told it would ship on or around Feb 6th. My calls and e-mails to them have resulted in similar information (but nothing precise).

While I know they are backlogged, I have a hard time believing they have as much as 100,000 orders to fulfill. I don't think ANY responsible company would have let themselves get THAT backlogged -- not when it takes an hour per unit to build!

Hmmmmm....

2. wallywld

wallywld Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, I've been using it. It does depend on apple's ink technlogy to convert to text in the end, but it's very useful. I especially like being able to load a PDF and then make notes over it.

Thanks!

3. JMF0

JMF0 Pen Pal - Newbie

Wally - can you hand write or take notes over an existing email and reply back or send with the handwritten scribbles on the email itself...kinda like annotating the email?

THX!
    Jeff

4. iRabbit

iRabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

More on this... my husband and I were talking about all this math tonight and figured out that if they truly have 100,000 orders (which is hard to believe), it will take 139 engineers working 12 hours a day to catch up in 60 days.

139 engineers x 12 hours a day x 60 days = 100,080

All I can say is I hope they have more! LOL

5. wallywld

Not really, but you can paste the text into inkbook and then Write on it.

The email response Would go out as an image.

6. iRabbit

iRabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

You could probably make a PDF out of it too (from InkBook), no? If you have the option to print, then you have the option to make a PDF, right?

7. Edwood

Edwood Scribbler - Standard Member

8. iRabbit

iRabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Ed,

Of course, I can't speak for how good it is or not at this point since I didn't get my ModBook yet, but the comparison video isn't exactly fair. It's from a year ago. Leopard is now out (which may or may not mean Ink has been updated).

The mac isn't using a Tablet PC but about the cheapest smallest wacom tablet made. I think that's the old $79 Graphire.

Meanwhile the Vista machine is a tablet PC.

And lets not even mention that the handwriting was slower and neater on Vista.

Like I said, I can't speak from experience at this point, but if you really want to compare you have to have the ModBook and a Tablet PC side by side, same handwriting, same speed. I can concede Vista is better without seeing it just for the fact that Tablet PCs have been out a long time and there's been lots of time to refine the technology... there were NO Tablet Macs until now... so no mass need for Apple to work on improving Ink.

9. wallywld

I have a copy of Vista here Just waiting to be installed and one the things I'm looking forward to testing is the handwriting recognition because I honestly don't feel that it gave Me Much better results.

I've been Using an ACER tablet PC for several years now and I don't feel that the XP recognizer is not that great either. We'll see if the Vista recognizer is better.

10. Ken P.

Ken P. Pen Pal - Newbie

I visited the Axiotron booth at Macworld. It included a demo for a new product still in beta. The software is MyScript and addresses the handwriting and language problems in Inkwell. My handwriting is very poor and it did a fair job.

www.visionobjects.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.