Modbook has arrived

Discussion in 'Axiotron Modbook' started by wallywld, Jan 16, 2008.

1. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

Aman - Very few Forums, especially the OEM Forums are full of people who there to express their un-dying devotion (well outside the Cult of Apple) for the product. These tend to be used as tier one tech support, even here most people join for help, those that stay, stay because of the professionalism and passion for Tablet PCs not Android or iPads. If you are getting your stats from Internet Forums your statistical analysis is flawed as your raw data is flawed. In any mass produced product there will be anomalies and deviation in quality, these tend to end up on the forums, while the unwashed masses who are happily making their living with said product go on about their days in blissful ignorance that some people might have a bad experience.

This is the dark side of a generation that has instant access to information and a bully pulpit to be heard at an instant, it skews the world-view to the loudest and most persistent even if it doesn't reflect the reality or majority. To listen to the press Microsoft has lost its all of its Windows Users to Macs and iPads because they only sold around a million Surfaces but the reality is Microsoft still has that base and will continue at least into the near future.

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

This is a great discussion. I think this kind of information is valuable to all newcomers where any technology is concerned. It helps put things in perspective when you research, when you buy and experience.

It's also very civil, despite frustrations, IMO. I'm not sure threads where disagreements are involved should be too rapidly locked. Perhaps the other ones got to name calling and lost their use, but this one is a great thread to continue and isolate the discussion at hand if need be.
    In other words, it would be nice if we could keep it here and not bring it elsewhere into the forums, Aman... to avoid repetitive, circular arguments or any more locked threads.

To answer your excellent question earlier: "But I don't understand one thing:I tried callibrating so many times a day for about a month and still couldn't callibrate it?

Does It indicates that your unit may be way better than mine.Or does it indicates that Fujitsu didn't had good drivers very specifically for Lifebook T902 itself,for windows 8,when I bought it?"

I believe if you could have seen a video of me showing calibration before adjusting it myself, you would have said it was the same as you experienced. So, no I don't think I got a way better machine, at the most a slightly better out of the box experience, but it takes little tricks to calibrate it properly. I don't just try to aim my pointer at the cross hair. I would look what direction the cursor was off and press it in the opposite direction the appropriate distance from the crosshair to adjust it. Does that make sense? If my cursor was underneath my pen to the south-east by 2 millimeters in one corner, I would calibrate it in that same problem corner by tapping to the North-west of the cross hair to get the cursor to be at the right spot when I was done.

Some machines come with none of that necessary, it's just luck of the draw with many variables playing a role. I've always had to pull a bit of calibration wizardry on all my units from multiple vendors just because I like the pen to the left of my pen tip so I can see it better.

Also, I think the new driver would have made things easier on you, especially in windows 8.
    In short, I think it was a combination of not having the user experience, different expectations, and getting a unit that was potentially a little more off than the majority. It happens.

Another solution would have been to use the wacom calibration driver tweaker someone posted a while back to get better results. Also adding points to the windows calibration would help too.

Anyway, I think you'll have a great experience with the modbookpro, as you already have a positive attitude towards it, allowing you to overlook any shortcomings it may arrive with. I'm sure it will be fine. If you need to calibrate it when it comes we can help you do that.

3. Aman

Aman Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks!

I thinkt this kind kind of discussion should be more enhanced and put in a Different thread discussing such Callibration issues and advices.

I am not ignoring any Drivers.My returned T902 had the latest Fujitsu -Wacom Driver installed which was availabe at that time.Even with the old drivers,many Tablets like Tablet Kiosk or ModBook looked well calibrated on You-Tube.

I can share only whatever I can.Do you also mean that I should try all drivers on all Tablet PCs available in the world?

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  4. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

No, why would you draw such a ridiculous notion as that? The point I was attempting to make is that the hardware manufacturer is one factor, but the hardware relies on good software to function correctly. Wacom are the primary developers of the driver and therefore should share in the blame that you're illogically laying squarely at Fujitsu's door. The whole point of mentioning the new driver released by Wacom was to establish the "fact" that updated drivers generally provide increased or improved functionality. The vast majority of 902 owners were and indeed still are able to be productive using the old driver - where as you seem to be in a tiny minority of users who failed in their attempts for whatever reason.

You don't seem to have posted anything of substance to back your wild 60/40 claim. Is it reasonable for me to consider that disinformation as total nonsense now?

5. Aman

Well,nothing wrong,everyone has own way of thinking.I have no right to impose anything on anyone.

But to answer to your question,I believe that you have anyway seen my Cintiq 13HD Demo review where I discussed about it a little bit in post no. 9 (which I did it only upon request,since persionally I didn't wanted that thread to discuss about T902,but instead wanted that thread to discuss more about Cintiq 13HD experience.)

And for that you to decide whether this is disinformation or correct information,I need to again rebrowse though Internet and store all the websites,information,reviews,conversation,etc and display it here in Detail.
    At present I don't have time to properly structure and display results here.I have some other important work.

I had initially had browse the Internet and did the analysis,but never structured it to proper format.The only part of information I surfed which I was able to save properly was in Post no. 9 of that thread.

I tried callibrating atleast 20 times each day for a month or so,I think Stoneseeker was lucky enough to get his Tablet PC calibrated properly.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  6. Rousing_Dipthorne

Rousing_Dipthorne Pen Pal - Newbie

Considering how you've never shown us your work and how you've failed to convince us what programs you're actually familiar with (suggesting OC for technical design and not knowing about opengl features that've been around since PS CS4 for example) your experiences with your T902, and indeed all tablets and whatever industry you claim to represent hold very little weight. It may have very well been an exemplary model but your apparent lack of first hand knowledge and the train of moderators adding disclaimers your opinions leads me to believe that whether it was a perfect model or indeed a faulty one you wouldn't even know it.

You lack credibility and your inability to differentiate facts from opinions make everything you say suspect and inherently misinformation, even if you're right and your presence is harmful to the community because at best you're distracting and at worst severely misguided.

7. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

It's entertaining for those who know better tho :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

8. Aman

I don't agree with you,Mr rousing,Seeing is believing.
    I would like to inform you that today I have used Samsung Tabet Pcs for demos and I was extremly impressed with the accuracy it offers.Its a shame that T902 has problems even at the edges.
    I myself took sketching demo of Cintiq 13HD.And it has just awesome screen input accuracy besides its other problems like Slippery screen.

And what I found is that 80 to 90 perecent of Tablet PCs in the market have great accuracy.
    Infact Wacom has realised the flaws in Cintiq 12WX regarding callibration and now is offering even 1000 times better Callibration norms in its latest 13.3 inch Cintiq 13HD Model than that of Fujitsu Lifebook T902 and this is based on my real Life user/Demo Experience at wacom Dealer.

You can see the awesome accuracy at the edges and everywhere on screen in 13Hd in few You-Tube videos too which I too noticed:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjuQSbJ7MEA&feature=share&list=PLERbLOz2T3mDvDZevEeAVbVB8ZiOV_lYG

There he says:
    "And offcoarse towards the edges,its not even that bad."

Also,see this playlist for a nice collection of Wacom Cintiq Demo videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMUClnaTWXA&list=PLERbLOz2T3mDvDZevEeAVbVB8ZiOV_lYG

A slippery screen of Cintiq 13HD is much much better than a bad Callibration.Atleast Cintiq 13HD is good in Pen Accuracy.Its still not a completely useless product unlike T902's digitiser.

My experience with T902 was an error of about more than 2 mm and that too after latest Driver Upgrade.

See this:Error is not even within 1.6 mm of radius in the following You-Tube Videos:

Samsung Galaxy Note and sketching on S Memo - YouTube

Samsung Ativ 500T Atom Windows 8 Tablet works with Thinkpad Digitizer Pen

Galaxy Note 10.1 Layer Paint drawing (desenhando) - YouTube

Motion Computing C5 used for Drawing and Sketching - YouTube

Surface Pro Handwriting Recognition Demo

Digitizer Pen on the Surface Pro - YouTube

Microsoft Surface pro Class style Note Taking with pen demo - YouTube

Asus Vivotab Tf810c Tablet - drawing & painting review & some gaming - YouTube

Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 review - YouTube

DELL latitude 10 + ClipStudio

Samsung galaxy Note 10.1 *Best tablet for sketching*

Samsung galaxy Note 10.1 drawing a girl face - YouTube

Tablet PC with decent Callibration norms are already available,but not all have the same decent Callibration Norms.

Isn't its a shame for Fujitsu that cheaper brands like Samsung OR Dell offer better Pen Input Accuracy???
    This problem is due to carelessly designed and carelessly Manufactured electromagnetic Shielding solution in T902.

I don't care if I was not aware of advanced features of Photoshop before buying it.
    Logic is simple:If you can do basic stuff with it,you select it as a first round selection in a competition.
    Advanced feature would be tested in second round.
    I don't like your attitude.

Simple:If I fill colour in a space and if it does not fill properly at the boundries,tell me a single reasion why I should know the advanced features of Corel Painter and why should I ever buy it???????

You have to know about the advanced features only during second or third phase round of the competition within softwares.

(Anyway,today I have purchased creative suite 6 Master collection-Student & Teacher edition and would activate it when I get ModBook.Then I will try tweaking the picture quality through settings and see if I would need OpenCanvas or TV Paint for advance features.)

These three (TV Paint,Photoshop and OpenCanvas) are the ones who have passed the preliminary tests during the tenure of their free demo for a month or so.I tried allmost all Sketching softwares for windows OS.

A light advanced feature which Designers really can really take advantage of is the mirror symetrical painting.Designers don't use all of the tools and features available in photoshop which is used by photoeditors,its limited in design applications.Symetrical painting is I think available in OpenCanvas,but I think its not available in Photoshop OR TV Paint Animation.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  9. Rousing_Dipthorne

Rousing_Dipthorne Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not exactly sure how showing us how little experience you actually have is helping your case... but well done dude!

10. Aman

Thanks for the appreciation.

If there's only one or two bad reviews/bad demos and there are relatively large number of good reviews/Demos on same product,then we may think that it was only a one defective unit in a batch and then we don't take such single bad reviews so seriously.

I have a limited experience in using Wacom Penabled Devices.However,probabilities that a huge number of positive Consumer reviews online about same product,huge number of You-Tube sketching demos with same product and Self tested self satisfied demos,can fool you are extremly less.

This is the most obvious, best and simplest way to reduce the risks in buying a defective product.

When it comes to sketching,the preferred Tablet PC brands in today's Market according to my survey should be generally Samsung,Tablet Kiosk,Motion Computing,ModBook Inc. and Offcoarse the Microsoft (Surface Pro).

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013