Modbook has arrived

Discussion in 'Axiotron Modbook' started by wallywld, Jan 16, 2008.

1. wallywld

wallywld Pen Pal - Newbie

All in all a pretty cool box.
    ---------------------

This is the body of an email sent to gizmodo.com for inclusion in their blog.

--------------------------
    Hello all:

I just received a brand-new modbook and wanted to give you my impressions.

I ordered a loaded machine with a 320GB hard drive and 4GB of RAM. It also came with a superdrive, isight camera and the included GPS.

Overall it's very solid and looks very nice. I think the silver frame would look very nice over a black MacBook, but didn't have that option when ordering. the machine seemed a little heavy at first, but after carrying it around for a little while it feels good and has worked as advertised. If only my handwriting was better!!

It comes with a keyboard app "Quickclicks", which seems to be a versions of "Touchstrokes" from assistiveware.com. I really like their keyboard program for touchscreens because it's the only one I found that had no lag, no matter what I was doing. There is also an application to calibrate the screen and gps functionality that I have not had a chance to try yet.

The most annoying thing for me when using a Tablet PC and this machine is the slight offset that is always present between the cursor and the tip of the pen. My usual fix is to hide the cursor. For this purpose I installed "Cursorcerer" http://doomlaser.com/cursorcerer-hide-your-cursor-at-will/ a utility to hide the cursor and which helps greatly because it allows me to focus on the tip of the pen. The utility is not perfect, but did the trick for me.

I'm going get a sleeve for it right away and should be trying a few things tonight, including installing Photoshop to see how it behaves on the system.

I'll update my experience as soon as I get more time on it.

2. wallywld

What I would really like, BTW is to have a dual-mode digitizer capable of accepting touch input. This could allow the development of touch-based apps that could be self contained on the computer and not depend on a separate monitor.

3. tky

tky Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for posting your first impressions and I am really looking forward to any other info that you post.

I've been sitting on the fence about getting one of these and it's great to read some real reviews!

Do you know if the all of the wacom drivers etc... work with vista if you use bootcamp?

4. iRabbit

iRabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

I ordered one on January 8th (4 gigs RAM, 200 GIG 7200RPM HD) and have been patiently (okay, not so patiently) waiting. It's GREAT to hear from someone who got one!

I read about the Quick-Clicks App and it sounds like a handy thing to have. I also read tonight about MacSpeech Dictate, which isn't available yet, but seems like it might make a nice accessory to the Modbook (it's GOOD speech recognition software).

Other than Photoshop, what drawing programs do you plan to run? Supposedly, a new version of Sketchbook is coming (and being demoed at Macworld). I used to be a BIG fan of Corel Painter (even back to the days before Corel owned it), but haven't used it regularly for a few years.

Care to share some pics of your new baby? ;)

5. waiveform

waiveform Pen Pal - Newbie

Do you mind if I ask WHEN exactly you purchased? I ordered late last year and I want to know how long I'm going to have to wait for MY ModBook!?!? :mad:

6. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Axiotron is giving shipping priority to those who ordered last January, and then move on to chronologically from there. When exactly did you order your ModBook, waiveform? If it was just last month, then maybe you'll be waiting for I don't know how long until they build/ship those who ordered it before you did. :eek:

7. iRabbit

iRabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

When I first placed my order, January 8th, 2008 I was told the ModBook was backordered until February 6th. I talked to a rep there via their live chat system and was told it would go out in about 3 weeks.

On January 15th I got an e-mail:

So take that for what it's worth... I would expect as long as you never cancelled your order you'll be hearing from them soon. Supposedly, you'll get an e-mail asking you to confirm everything since specs have changed since last year. You might even want to contact them with your order number just to make sure they didn't try to send you email.

8. wallywld

Hello all

Here are Some of my impressions after one day with the system

I'm pretty happy with the system in general

The two things that are making me crazy right now are the fact that there is no good way to prop the machine up when working on a desk, and the fact that there are no good tools to edit inked text

I especially feel that there should be some shortcuts to deal with the recognizer's propensity to Capitalize the first letter of many words

I have a Samsung Q1 UMPC and it has a very simple, but functional stand that folds out and Can prop it up in two positions

I wish they had adapted More of the tools of the Newton

I can't wait to have a stand for it.

I also wish that thcre was a more reliable way to hide the cursor

I'm trying to get a copy of Sketchbook to try out, but for now all I have is Photoshop and I haven't really had a chance to try it out yet

I would also like to see more shortcuts on the ink menu like enter, delete and some symbols. I would also like to see more shortcuts on the ink menu like enter, delete and some symbols.

Another thing to know is that it can get a liltle hot.

Sorry if I'm skipping around a little but I'm trying to share as much as I can.

I wish they would have a way to hide the cursor permanently because it makes the experience much better.

I'm preHy sure that I'll be keeping it.

9. wallywld

Here arc some tips on using the handwriting recognition on the modbook:

Write large words - In general, I try to write in the ink window so that capitals are as large as two lines and lowercase one line high.

Write more words at a time - For some reason, the recognition seems to work better when there are more words to recognize.

Write t's and h's as separate letters and do not combine them otherwise it tends to mis-interpret them making the word better read "beHer"

another cool trick is a way to use ink even in apps that don't accept it. The trick is to set the transparency of the Quickclicks keyboard very low and start writing inside (read on top of the keyboard). This forces the text to go through the keyboard program and be entered into whatever app has focus. Use the smallest keyboard you can so that it doesn't interfere too much.

When writing on the yellow "write anywhere" window keep lowercase letters to the size of the dotted line.

More to come.

10. iRabbit

iRabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for sharing your first impressions Wally! It's great to hear...

Have you thought about trying MacSpeech Dictate when it comes out? I had mentioned it in an earlier reply... I was thinking it would make a good companion to the ModBook.

Also, Corel makes a program called Painter X that is a "real medium" drawing program. I've used it for years with a drawing tablet on my main machine (though haven't used it regularly for a while now). It was a great program for drawing and you can download a free trial at Corel.com so maybe check it out. I know I'm hoping for Sketchbook Pro 3 (for intel Macs) to come out soon, but I'll definitely be installing Painter also.

I had read somewhere (will have to find a link) that someone figured out hiding the cursor easily and permanently with some software. I'll have find it for ya... it's not customizable?

I had heard the QuickKeys App was customizable... can you not make your own key shortcuts with it?

The heat thing -- would you say it gets hotter than a regular MacBook? Axiotron supposedly said it's supposed to run a little cooler. The MacBook on my lap right now runs pretty darn hot, which could be a big disadvantage when drawing with the ModBook.

By the way, I think you're like the first official consumer to post on the net about getting your ModBook... LOL... because NO ONE else seems to have one yet! I started a blog to document my journey with it, so I'll share when there's more to actually say!