Modbook 512 levels of pressure

Discussion in 'Axiotron Modbook' started by gekim, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gekim

gekim Animator

right now i'm stuck between Toshiba M700 and Modbook.

some people hate macs... some people hate windows... and some people don't mind any. i use both at work and to me they are just equal. for me the only thing that was holding me back from getting a tablet pc was the limited 256 levels of pressure. seeing that modbook is up to 512 i think its really a good tablet for an artist.

theres also parallels and the built in bootcamp in leopard to run a windows operating system in the modbook.

QUESTIONS:
    1. do you think the 512 levels of pressure is a firmware or hardware updgrade for windows tablet pcs?

2. anybody here with a modbook who installed windows xp or vista in parallels or bootcamp able to have the windows recognize pressure?

3. should i wait longer until i get a tablet pc?

EDIT:
    nevermind, i just tried my co-worker's winxp tabletpc LE1600 motion (an old model) and i wasn't too upset about only having 256 levels especially in sketchbook pro. but still a 512 would have been nice i'm gonna go with m700 instead.

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I personally suggest that you don't opt for the touch option in the M700. I found the touch portion messing with my pen use in the unit they had at CES (meaning that if my pen tip was more than an inch away from the screen, the resistive digitizer would kick in and keep registering my hand on the screen). I'd definitely prefer hardware button toggle between active and passive digitizers.

And also, I would not spend another minute worrying about 256 vs 512 levels of pressure if I were you. Sketchbook Pro should be evidence enough that 256 lvls is plenty. In fact, I think the 128 levels of my old Art Z II was plenty. Anything more is just gravy. It's far more important to have a reliable hardware backing up that 256 level active digitizer, and Toshiba is one of the oldest brand into the TPC business that I trust their TPCs far more than anyone else at this point. The only caviat is that you MUST reinstall Vista in your new M700. The factory install was, once again, full of crapware. The good news is that you should only require about 2 drivers after the initial Vista install.

3. gekim

gekim Animator

hey shogmaster, what drivers do i need?

also update: i installed winxp pro on parallels on our mac intel xeon, and its perfect. the wacom tablet also works with minor tweaking. windows vista ultimate however, is kinda bad.

4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

You really only need "TOSHIBA Tablet PC Extension" and "TOSHIBA Value Added Package" in Toshiba Tablet PCs after fresh install into Vista. And remember, you don't want XP:Tablet Edition because of your art apps that depend on Wacom's driver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.