Mobility vs. Power T2010 and T4220

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Frank, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cinohpa

cinohpa Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm trying to decide between the T2010 and T4220. I'm only looking to do basic apps past email and notetaking (ex. mathematica).

I like the T4220 because I feel more comfortable with a heavier, more powerful tablet. I feel like its less likely I'll run into power problems and it still seems pretty small.

In a tablet for notetaking I want something that will be as inobtrusive as possible. I like the T2010 because it is very light and seems like it should be very low heat and noise. How's the screen for reading for long periods? Does the indoor/outdoor feature make a big difference? Do you take advantage of the battery life?

Is there a significant difference between quality of notetaking?

2. Concentrate

Concentrate Scribbler - Standard Member

T4220 w/ modular battery almost = T2010 battery life
    T2010 = very loud w/ ac adapter connected and also feels pretty hot
    T4220 = quiet (from the reviews)

3. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

T2010 vs T4220
    • Silent and cold-warm while on battery and/or idling, loud and warm-hot when stressed and AC adapter connected and/or BT on | Silent while idling, loud and hot when stressed
    • lightweight | heavy
    • no optical drive | optical drive
    • fast | very fast
    • with high capactiy battery about 8 hours battery life or more while screen still bright | with standard and modular bay battery 8 hours battery life or more with some tweaks (and I think you will have to reduce the screen brightness drastically and it will be dim compared to the T2010 display (but I don't know, I never compared it ;)))
    • 16:10 display with WXGA resolution (124,7 DPI) | 4:3 display with XGA/SXGA+ resolution (105,8 DPI/144,6 DPI)
    • huge viewing angles | small viewing angles on the SXGA+ display, don't know how good they are on the XGA display
    • very bright glossy screen | not so bright matt grainy screen
    • Indoor/outdoor option available | Indoor/outdoor option only for the XGA display available
    • display has no latch | display has latch
    • firewire | no firewire
    • Touch Stick | Touch Pad
    • case color is business black | case color is grey/silver/white?
    • pen is on the bottom right of the tablet | pen is beside the display

I'm happy that I bought the T2010 and not the T4220. I don't need an optical drive, if I want to watch a DVD then I place the T2010 on it's docking station which has a optical drive and connect the docking station to the TV via DVI.
    I prefer the Touch Stick to the Touch Pad.
    I prefer a widescreen display to a 4:3 display (just looks better and has the right DPI)
    The T2010 display is very birght, has LED backlit and is clear.
    I'm happy that it's so lightweight (I carry it around the whole day) and offers me that long battery life. I can use it almost the whole day and I don't have to worry about the battery. I also believe that the T2010 battery will live longer, because it's almost isolated from the heat the tablet produces, whereas the T4220 heats his batteries which is deadly for LiIon batteries ;)
    The T2010 display has no latch, so it "wobbles" a bit in tablet mode. For me it's not bad, I can live with it and am happy that the T2010 has no latch, it's just more easy to open/rotate a display without a latch.

If you don't need an optical drive the whole time and if you don't need the CPU power all the time, then get the T2010 instead of the T4220.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  4. Mlalahoi

Mlalahoi Pen Pal - Newbie

I would have to agree with Frank or this one. I got my +2010 a little while bask and I Love the mobility. Screen is much better for various settings and the battery lasts All day. seems like for your usage you don't reed the more powerful T4220, but would he better off with the greater mobility of the t2010
    that extra pound or two (w/extended batt) makes a Big difference when you carry it around all day.

5. Clodius

Clodius Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I'll play devil advocate, and say go for the T4220. I'm typing this on one right now, and it's completely silent, and just barely warm.

Ok, the T2010 has longer battery life, is lighter, and probably stays cooler. Trade off is power, and really, the T4220 is awesome in all the aspects the T2010 is.

Battery life is pretty decent, mine (with a bit of battery wear) will go about 4 hours with wifi on, 6 or so without and that's with the mod bay battery. Personally, I've got to say 8 full hours on any machine sounds a little far from reality to me, but seems like the T2010 can do it. What you have to think about is how often are you going to be working on this for 8 full hours without a plug. The ONLY time my T4220's battery hasn't been sufficent was when I was typing up essays for about 3 or 4 hours, and It was probably at 70% when I started.

Weight wise, the T4220 is not bad at all compared to regular laptops. W/o mod bay battery you can carry it one handed and not have any problem. W/ mod bay bat it is just a smidge too heavy to carry around 1 handed for long periods. As a college student, I usually prop mine against a desk or table, but whatever. This is one area that I bet the T2010 really is an improvement on, but remember that improvement is only .5-1 pound or so.

Heat wise, the T4220 is fine. A bunch of people seem to whine that it's too hot, but mine has never been too hot to sit on my lap. Fan is practically silent and rarely comes on. In the whole time I've been typing the only noise is from the keyboard clicking.

Seriously, maybe I'm paranoid about low power machines, but I went with the T4220 because I wanted the speed along with the tablet. It'snever letme down so far.

6. brvdboss

brvdboss Scribbler - Standard Member

The T4220 still is very small if you compare it to an 15" notebook of course. The physical size of the screen is perfect for me, but one improvement could be to make it a little less thick. Although it doesn't really bother me in daily use.

As for the applications you want to run on your tablet, do you currently own a laptop or desktop with all the software installed? Does it run everything you want fast enough, too slow, just right? Then compare the speed of that device to the specs of the T2010 and T4220.

Personally I do some software development and matlab/maple stuff on my T4220, and that is the reason why I chose the T4220 over the T2010. I don't use it daily, but if I do it's fast enough for me (i.e. waiting 7 seconds for a calculation or compiling step to finish doesn't bother me, but waiting twice as long does become annoying)

Frank's post gives a good overview of the differences. But the key features why he chose the T2010 (for example widescreen) are exactly those that made me choose the T4220 :)

I'm sure that for note taking both perform equally well. Both devices are more than fast enough for any note taking software I currently know of.

As a general rule of thumb: If you want to use your tablet as a notebook with tablet functionality I would suggest the T4220. If you're mainly going to use it as a tablet with notebook functionality, the T2010 might be best for you.
    It's mostly about personal preferences and usage patterns.
    Hope this helps.

7. watson10

watson10 Pen Pal - Newbie

I was in the same predicament. I went with the 4220. I'm glad I did. yes, quite a bit of heat comes out of the vent but it doesn't bother me like i thought it would. The battery life could be better but the only time it has ever come into play was when I was on a plane, but every other laptop I've owned has the same issue, more or less. The screen (XGA) is clear and crisp. The biggest reason for me suggesting the 4220 is power. this is funny since I thought my demands would be light (similar to what you've listed). But I would be unhappy if it was any slower which the 2010 would be. i have the 4220 2.0 cpu 2g RAM.

8. jimdab

jimdab LifeStudent

I decided on T4220 because of speed also. I made sure to go for the T7700 and SXGA+ and get the modular bay battery and full ram upgrade. I could totally see choosing the smaller TT2010 but I want my laptop to be as close to a desktop as possible in terms of capability and addons because I don't plan to have a desktop in my home anymore. I think different needs require a different laptop. Neither is better.

9. Mlalahoi

Mlalahoi Pen Pal - Newbie

That's a very good summation of the issue. While my T2010 works great as a notebook, it is more "geared" to mobility and tablet functionality.

10. cinohpa

cinohpa Pen Pal - Newbie

hmmm I think I'm leaning towards the T2010 then. I already have another much more powerful notebook running penryn. Variety is probably better when I have the option.

Has anyone anything about the T2010 refresh (T2015 or whatever)? I'm guessing it will be out sometime in June but I'm curious to see what improvements it brings.

Thanks.