MobileStudio Pro 16 refresh on the horizon

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Marty, May 15, 2019.

1. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

Oh, I remember that rumour, but I also remember that it didn’t seem like a credible explanation for killing the device. So I never archived it in my memory as ‘the reason’, and have been waiting to hear something that seems like a real reason ever since. Why not release it with the android functionality disabled? Dual OS has never been in demand, either before or since. Nobody caress about running Android and Widows on the same device. But different form factors have always been an area of great interest and an area of active development. It was always the form factor that was the AtivQ’s value proposition, never its supposed dual OS capability. It’d be like GM cancelling a car they’ve already begun manufacturing and are about to start selling because Pirelli won’t let them use their tires. So? Something STILL smells fishy.

2. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

They just announced it, and it looks pretty disappointing to me.

Could there be anything I'm missing about the screen? It's still IPS and actually has slightly less RGB values than MSP1. However, they specifically mentioned something about brightness uniformity, implying that maybe it's improved via new techniques. Maybe it's too early for us to know.

I hope Apple or HP are getting ready to do something. Like a 16" iPad with kickstand-levels of doing something lol...

I was even hoping they were going to copy the Cintiq Pro and ditch the expresskeys, believe it or not. The stand being included now is also kind of a kick in the nuts, but that's just how it goes. At least I'd have two.

I'm on my 4th unit now, I think, and the screen is getting dead pixels. I almost want to buy the new ASAP just to get away from constant RMAs, as idiotic as that sounds, under the assumption they worked it out...

YVerloc and Marty like this.
  3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It probably means they changed the panel and/or tweaked the profile for better color accuracy:

(CNET)
    "Even though it comes with dedicated color profiles, the color gamut remains disappointing: 96% sRGB and 83% Adobe RGB, as tested. The default uniformity compensation setting improves gray-scale tracking by dramatically cutting full-screen brightness from 236 or so nits to 151. (While that sounds low, most color spaces are calibrated for low brightness values.) However, in sRGB with screen uniformity enabled, it's color-critical accurate with a white point that varies less than 3% from 6,500K."

Many monitors will deliberately lower the maximum brightness to give a more accurate EOTF (gamma curve) and consistent white uniformity (which allows it to hit that "3%" deviation figure from D65/6500K standard).

This probably means Wacom is refining the line specifically for photography/digital production, on-the-field color-proofing, etc., which I guess made up their biggest audience for the MSP16.

Other notable upgrades:
    • i7-8559U quad-core (upgrade from dual-core i5-6267U / i7-6567U)
    • Quadro P1000 Pascal (upgrade up from ancient Maxwell M600M/M1000M)
    • Thunderbolt 3 (up from 2x USB 3.1 gen2, 1x USB 3.1 gen 1)
    So really a very basic refresh, but at least hits all they points lacking in version 1. If they also improved the thermals, it might just be possible it's worth the $3,500 asking price. ;)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    YVerloc and neongolden like this.
  4. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Lawrence Mann also posted an interesting tidbit @3:49:

Apparently, there's a service hatch for SSD/RAM upgrades? That's pretty generous for Wacom. :)

Edit: Aaron Rutton gives a few more details and shot of the service hatch @0:56:

The upgradeable components are:
    • 1 free DDR4-2400 SODIMM slot (alongside 1 installed module)
    • swapable PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Service hatch is a very surprising move for them given the past price disparity between models was usually just for the Ram/SSD. Part of the reason why for both the CC2 and MSP1 I opted for the meager 128GB/8GB confiq was because of the massive price mark up. Wacom allowing the Ram/SSD to be user upgradable would essentially favor most users to get the barebones model and self upgrade.

The CPU/GPU update, while sufficient is also per the course with Wacom being a year behind in Chipsets. 8th gen for September 2019 is kind of old, when almost everyone will be rocking 9th gen going forward. But this was the case with both Cintiq Companions and the first Mobile Studio, so not surprising for Wacom. And the addition of two Thunderbolt 3 ports is smart on Wacoms end. And including the Stand is a nice touch....having had a Cintiq Companion 2 which came with the stand (and bag) that was a disappointing omission with the Mobile Studio 1. But sadly they are using the same stand, and it’s kind of garbage.

Overall I am disappointed that they retained the same base form factor. Given the Mobile Studio’s main competition is the iPad Pro and Surface Pro....I’m disappointed Wacom didn’t rethink the form factor and make it more Zbook x2 styled. The Mobile Studio is great for art, but sucks as a general laptop, and the Mobile Studio 2 will no doubt be the same.

They still haven’t unveiled what will be in the 13incher, but hopefully they’ll still give it the Thunderbolt 3 and discrete graphics. But in any case, as owner of a MSP 13incher going on nearly 3 years now.....should it crap out on me.....given the choice of the MSP2 or the Zbook X2.....I would still probably go for the Zbook.

6. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey if I'm reading this right, the screen can get about twice as bright as the previous MSP's. The listed specs say "300 cd/m2" versus the 150 on the old MSP's page.

I'm very likely going to end up picking one up as soon as I can. I'll try to be disciplined enough to wait for Lisa Gade to review it and see MS's October Surface event... The only review so far mentioned the fans are loud, but not specifically if it runs louder and hotter on average than MSP1.

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That concerns me. The CC2 had a notoriously loud fan....more akin to a hair dryer. When they released the Mobile Studio Pro 1......Wacom made claims it was silent.....but while it’s definitely quieter then the CC2.....it’s not silent. So an initial complaint for the MSP2 over the fan noise....given the past two generations......can really fall anywhere on the decibel system.

8. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

It will be my next review! Thanks for your patience :cool:
    It is not hotter or louder than the 1st gen, in fact it's a little bit quieter and cooler.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    stoneseeker, YVerloc and Marty like this.
  9. kruzilla

kruzilla Scribbler - Standard Member

So, I made it to the Lightbox Expo in Pasadena on Friday and Wacom was there. I saw the MSP2 (didn't try it though). It starts at $3500 (and according to them, that was a show special). I can't justify the purchase right now.

Oh, and they said there won't be a 13" model.

10. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

Here's my review (Lisa from MobileTechReview):

BTW, Wacom tells me the price is $3500, not a show special price. Will be available in the coming weeks.