MobileStudio Pro 16 refresh on the horizon

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Marty, May 15, 2019.

1. CreateNowSleepLater

CreateNowSleepLater Pen Pal - Newbie

Figures, I just bought an iPad Pro (which I really like). Unless Wacom sends me one, I doubt I can review it but depends on release. My channel isnt big enough for them to send me the big stuff.

2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

A bit of an update on reddit, someone had a Wacom retailer confirm that a new MSP release was "months away" and would feature a Core i9 option.

Supposedly Wacom is waiting on approval in the Latin America, suggesting they are planning another simultaneous global release.

Core i9 is very surprising move (most probably the i9-8950HK from last year) given the higher 45W TDP (up from 28W). Hopefully Wacom's thermal engineering is up to the task.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Interesting.....a core i9 would suggest Wacom plans to make a very powerful Tablet. Unfortunately......that seems kind of superfluous. As much as I would like to see some serious pen advancements from Microsoft in the next Surface.....regardless of what they do.....the iPad Pro and iPadOS feature Sidecar will make the iPads the biggest threat to Wacom in the coming year. While a core i9 will offer a serious power advantage over an iPad.....there’s no way in hell its gonna even come close to the form factor. The iPad is so perfectly suited to steal the pen world because it’s the epitome of a perfect tablet form factor, powerful, super thin, light, and basically offers extreme portability....without significant compromise. That should be what Wacom should aim to emulate.

And not to call out the Reddit post...but Wacom seems pretty steadfast in denying it,

Thank you for replying, I am afraid the vendor was not telling the truth. We have not received any kind of notification about a new MobileStudio from our development team. Regarding the patent post, if you read the information, It's not a patent, but a wireless testing approval, even if it is for a new MobileStudio, I believe it could take a couple more of years before we see the new tablet. °VR“

4. Marty

Agreed. But considering that Apple seems steadfast on putting i9's in the MBPs, it's understandable if Wacom may want to present direct competition.

Even if they don't go the i9 route, I doubt the MSP form-factor will slim down enough to compete with the IPP. It might be possible if they refreshed the Hybrid line, an Android-driven Cintiq, but even that would be limited in software.

So it's really a rock-and-a-hard-place for Wacom. :p

Of course all rumours should be taken with a grain of salt ;), but suggesting that an new FCC approval doesn't indicate an impending product release is just misinformation.

The only reason that might happen, is if the product is unexpectedly canceled (eg. hit with legal threats a la ATIV Q).

5. darkmagistric

But it should be possible for them to do that. The Galaxy Book 12 is proof of concept for that. It had Core i5 and a EMR panel running full Windows 10 in a 7.4 mm thick frame. Even if they add a kickstand and express keys zbook x2 style....there is no reason why they couldn’t put out a similar sized device.

What they should do.....put out a Mobile Studio Lite - basically a 9th gen intel Galaxy Book 12 with....same 15 watt CPU and integrated graphics....slim express keys (or touch strip) and an integrated kickstand with the Pro Pen 2. As is the current MSP 13 is 16mm thick (MSP 16 is then 19mm thick)....there is no reason why they can’t take it down to 8mm or under.

And then they can offer a larger i7 or i9 Mobile Studio Pro. But whatever they do....they need to combat the iPad Pro......and the more powerful and physically larger device will not accomplish that.

6. Marty

I would love for them to do that too (see my opening posts about OLED+minimal frame 15.6").

But as you pointed out, they will probably never give up front bezel buttons, so that already places a limit on portability.

Wacom also tries to cater to the CAD/animator crowd with the MSP16 (ie. competing marketing as "workstation-class") so sub-15W/integrated graphics also seems unlikely.

So everywhere Wacom turns, it seems they've dug themselves in a hole. They would probably need to launch an entire new line to compete with the IPP. (and I'm praying that they do ;))

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  7. darkmagistric

Actually I would be surprised if a MSP 2 kept the express keys. The MSP 1 was literally the last display tablet Wacom made with Express Keys. Every Cintiq since has been express key free. It’s very likely Wacom would follow suit with a MSP 2. But given the current bezel size on devices like the Galaxy Book and Surface Pro....it should be possible to fit express keys...or a Touch Bar on existing bezels sizes without enlarging them unnecessarily (as Wacom typically does :( )

8. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

Is that what happened? sauce? I never did hear why it failed to launch.

9. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

There is a way out though. They could be the only company to take their clients ergonomic needs seriously.

10. Marty

No official confirmation, but news articles reported patent infringement liability from the dual OS capability:

(Android Community)
    "Insider sources revealed that the ATIV Q has been delayed because of patent issues regarding the device’s selling feature: the ability to run two operating systems together at the same time."

YVerloc and thatcomicsguy like this.