MobileStudio Pro 16 refresh on the horizon

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Marty, May 15, 2019.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It's finally happening guys! (to all the artists desperately holding out for updated Wacom hardware ;))

As reported on Reddit, Wacom recently completed an FFC filing for a new MSP16 model number: "DTHW1621".

Recall the current MSP16 have model numbers: "DTH-W1620M" (Core i5-6267U / Quadro M600M) and "DTH-W1620H" (Core i7-6567U / Quadro M1000M), so I'm guessing they may have consolidated the refreshed model into a single spec.

Just an upgrade to 8th/9th quad-core ULV will be quite a boost, but if they also adopt the new 15.6" HDR OLED panels recently hitting the market (eg. 2019 Razer Blade 15)—this will be EMR drawing Hallelujah! :D

Oh, and maybe we'll get TB3 support finally :p ...wiping drool already...

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Given how the CC1, CC2, and MSP1 were all launched with nearly an entire intel CPU gen behind the time....I think it’s a safe bet to assume this will be rocking an 8th gen core. To actually use a 9th gen would be quite a course correction for them.

It will most likely still be using Pro Pen 2......Thunderbolt 3 added would be a logical move.....really the biggest question is what form factor this shall take. Given they are continuing to use the MSP name.... I’d imagine it would be overall similar looking to the first MSP.....

The most perfect thing Wacom could do.....reduce the bezels....and give it a built in kickstand & keyboard cover. Basically make it a Wacom branded ZBook x2 with Pro Pen 2. To which the question of express keys concerns me. zBook style with express keys on both sides.....or no express keys at all. Given every Cintiq since the MSP has been annoyingly expresskey free....I could totally see Wacom doing that.

Just can’t help but get the feeling that no matter what Wacom does....it will still look subpar to the zBook.

3. Marty

Those Wacom "double-bezels" do seem pretty egregious, haha... :p

CC:
    [​IMG]
    MSP:
    [​IMG]

I know, I know "area to rest your hand", but there are other ways...

For example, do you think they would consider a software solution like VAIO's Pencil Board (which doesn't lose any screen for palm rest area) and Express Keys/Ring as buttons/touch strips along the edge (eg. like this)?

With a low-bezel setup, they could actually make a 15.6" screen very portable, even smaller in width than the 12.9" IPP:

[​IMG]

With a kickstand and keyboard cover, I could actually see that becoming the artist's ultimate portable drawing station!

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

In a world with Zbook X2's and potential Concept D9's, what would this offer they can't? Better pen driver support and Pro Pen 2? I guess the hardware shortcuts...

5. Marty

I dunno, how bout making it not $5000 right out the gate. :p

No but in seriousness, they have the Quadro graphics, which means full 10-bit color workflows for creating content in HDR (studio photo/video work).

Coupled with more advanced pen options (eg. Pro Pen 3D), I could still see this also drawing away many pro animators, designers and artists.

6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've adjusted my tune on the bezel question.

For my fixed desktop, I'm happy with the massive smooth workspace where it bears little cost in terms of ergodynamics. I have plenty of desktop to work with. But for portable machines, it's a different issue. Extra bezel removes from portability, making it chunkier in backpacks and such.

My primary travel machine is the 15" N9P and it has almost no bezel on the wide sides, maybe 7 mm or so, and that doesn't actually slow me down while drawing. I find there's enough active screen real estate to support my hand and excellent palm rejection in my fave art programs so that I rarely find myself accidentally moving layers around or hitting scroll bars. Thank goodness palm-rejection has been refined to where it is today! Most drawing happens within about a 5 x 5 inch window of activity in the middle of the screen. (If the screen wasn't space-age resilient to scratches and scuffs, you'd see the tell-tale frosted glass look of a lot of stylus activity in that area.)

Bearing in mind that when I draw on my portable, I have it rigged up like a mini-drafting board at a table. I almost never use it in "clip board" mode while sitting. I find that awkward and unwieldy under the best of circumstances, with plenty of rogue activations of various screen inputs. The screen shape just isn't set up for comfortable use that way, I find. A lot of bezel would probably help, but I wouldn't know. I've never actually used a portable with lots of bezel.

Marty likes this.
  7. darkmagistric

In all fairness.....having gone from a Cintiq Companion 2 to a Mobile Studio....they did actually reduce the bezel for the Mobile Studio by....a fair bit....it’s hard to tell from photos, but when have both on your desk side by side....it’s quite apparent.

And I’ll always prefer Physical Express Keys over software solutions anyday....since most software solutions can technically be applied to any device. And edge touch strip however.....that I would entertain the idea provided how useful it ends up actually being.

8. Marty

What about physical Express Keys along the side? The example pic shows smartphone style buttons, but they could be made larger and more tactile on a 15" tablet.

Just curious, did you ever get a chance to try my "between mounts of Venus and Luna" style of resting the palm along the lip of the tablet?

I find it's stable in clipboard mode and most importantly, avoids any stray touches even when drawing close to the edge.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  9. darkmagistric

They would have to be on the side bezel....but even if they were made to be more tactile....it wouldn't be anymore useful then just reprograming the volume up and down keys. Some apps on Android and iOS art apps even give you the option to use the volume up and down buttons for functions like undo/redo....never really found it all that useful or as intuitive as front bezel express keys since its depends a great deal on your grip of the device and the actual location of the buttons. A side touch strip however I think would be easier to casual swipe a finger over without requiring a outright change of grip.

Marty likes this.
  10. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Sure. I find unusual hand positions sometimes necessary in a pinch, (there are techniques for doing tight work on large, wet canvases which require similar approaches), but anything beyond the normal position and posture tends to be awkward and tiring. That one requires larger muscle groups along the arm be engaged which are normally at rest; this puts extra stress on the artist to maintain fine control. I'm sure it can be trained into, but I find it easier to just use a large work surface with adequate support.

Marty likes this.