1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

Mobile Tablet for Pharmacy Rotations and as a Sketchbook

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by SDreamer, Aug 10, 2013.

1. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

I will be starting rotations soon for Pharmacy School, and I'm looking for a mobile tablet that is thing and light, that is penabled, and can handle PDF XChange or a better PDF Annotator for Windows 8, and because I'll be on rotations I need all day battery life (~8 hours). I will also be using this tablet as a sketchbook, and plan on getting OpenCanvas 5 (or maybe MangaLabo, still deciding).
    I've done a little bit of research, and seems like the Samsung Ativ 500t fits, but I don't know too much about it, and forums are a place for people to share and discuss problems, which I've seen in the Samsung forum. It looks like I can snag a refurb for <400$ off Amazon through Amazon Warehouse, so that's definately a plus. But because of the problems I have seen, the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 sounds good, but it has its share of problems, but doesn't seem to be as much as the Ativ 500t (I think Amazon Warehouse has it for <500$, but not sure if its worth it). Any RT tablet is out of the quesiton due to lack of ink support, and Surface Pro and any other slates with i-series Intel chips are way too pricy for what I want. That said, I was wondering if anyone could also comment on how well OpenCanvas works on Atom tablets (from what I've tried it seems too be ok, but again that wasn't with an active digitizer)? Thanks! Below is the template.
    General Questions.
    1. What is your budget? <$500
    2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished? Refurb is fine if it's from a reputable reseller like Amazon Warehouse.
    3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible? Windows Slate Tablet PC
    4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer? 7.1 - 13-inches
    5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]? USA
    6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes? Any is almost ok, I'd like to avoid Acer and other brands not well known for quality.
    7. How many hours battery life do you require? ~ 8 hours, longer the better
    8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? Initially for PDF annotating (PDF XChange, unless someone can recommend another alternative that is free) and sketchbook (I do anime/manga type of digital art).
    9. Do you have an OS preference? Windows 8
    10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? Artrage 3, OpenCanvas 5.5 (or MangaLabo, haven't decided).
    11. Do you intend on playing Games? Would be a plus, but I don't game anymore, except for games on the Windows Store to kill some time.
    12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system? Would love this.
    Screen Specifics
    1. Any preference on screen resolution? 1366 x 768 (1280 x 800 is ok too) higher the better.
    2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? A plus if possible, but wil be using it mainly indoors in hospital and office settings.
    3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig? YES. Wacom preferred.
    Component Specifics
    1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory? 64 would be awesome, but 32 GB is ok. Memory, at least 2GB I guess. Expandable via MicroSD or SD is something I want too.
    2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs? Full-sized USB, SD or MicroSD is ok (full sized preferred).
    Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above? Would definately love to have NFC. Makes transferring things from my Nokia Lumia 920 a breeze. My father has an Asus VivoTab smart, and NFC is really cool for sharing content between devices.
    2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration? N/A
  2. jnjroach

jnjroach Scribbler - Standard Member Super Moderator

I would look at the Ativ 500T as it has the Wacom Active Digitizer and should get the battery life you're looking for and fits in with your screen size requirements. It can be found close to your price range as well...

The MS Store has the White 500T for $600

If you want 10.1 you can find the ThinkPad Tablet 2 for the same price and you can get the Dell Latitude 10 for $569 which would bring the removable battery to the table...all of these are Wacom
  3. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the feed back. I was wondering what your thoughts were on the Clovertrail Atom processor. I'm coming from using an HP tm2t with a Core i3 ULV @ 1.3 Ghz. Of course it's also first gen Intel HD graphics. I was wondering how the Atom processor stacks up to this. From what I understand it's 1.5 GHz with burst allowing it to hit 1.8 Ghz. I'm not sure though how well the graphics of the Samsung Ativ 500t (or for the most part any of the other Atom based tablets) fare against the first gen Intel HD graphics. All I know so far is that touch feels so much more responsive and animations are a heck of a lot smoother (from what I can tell on an Asus Vivotab Smart, but I don't have access to this to do a complete comparison).
    I've read reviews on the Ativ 500t, but it seems plagued by some problems, some noted here on the forums, but I was wondering if these were ironed out by now. I see some users saying yes, but some are on the fence (especially with Wifi connections and battery drain). Another question I can't seem to find is if the USB 2.0 port is a full powered port? I know on the Thinkpad Tablet 2 it is a low-power port, so that is almost a deal breaker for me. I'd like to hook up my USB hub like it is on my tm2t and run an external hard drive, Microsoft Wireless keyboard, and another Microsoft Wireless mouse (separate dongles).
    I took a look at the other suggestions, but the price is just too much for me. As it is right now the Samsung tablet really does look the most ideal. $350 refurbished in very good condition from Amazon.
    Thanks again!
  4. jnjroach

jnjroach Scribbler - Standard Member Super Moderator

I've been pretty hard on the Clover Trail Atom Machines, they've suffered from the classic Intel Driver Issues around Power Management and Video Drivers. It seems much of the issues with the Samsung have stemmed from Power Management and the Keyboard Dock. From my experience, fully updated and not loaded with a bunch of legacy software and drivers that prevent Connected Standby you should have a decent experience with the Clover Trail.

I believe the Samsung's USB is full powered, haven't heard otherwise....