Missing ExpressCard on T4210...

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by rob1116, Jun 25, 2006.

1. rob1116

rob1116 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm new to tablets/notebooks in general... maybe I am missing something, but it doesn't seem like I would have much use for a laptop expansion slot (PCMCIA or ExpressCard). I mean, other than a wireless broadband card (I won't be subscribing to such an expensive service in the near future anyway), what can you do with this thing that you can't do easier/cheaper with some other I/O method?

What I am getting at is, the T4210 is without the newer ExpressCard option... and I'm assuming the PCMCIA is going to fade out relatively fast. Should I worry about this for any reason?

What do you guys/gals use these expansion slots for anyway? I mean, the T4210 has integrated wireless a/b/g and bluetooth (which I'm assuming means they are actually built-on, not expansion cards), so what will I be using it for?

2. butanamine

butanamine Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't know what most people use them for, but I do know you can use them for sound cards.

3. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Today, I'd rather have PCMCIA than ExpressCard. There are hundreds of expansion cards for PCMCIA and less than 5 for EC.

4. rob1116

rob1116 Scribbler - Standard Member

hmm... well, that will surely change though, no?

Well, either way, I can't find many accessories in these interfaces that my prospective laptop doesn't have built-in already, or that I couldn't just as easily find in USB. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

5. Gautam

Gautam Moderator

uses for the PCMCIA/ExpressCard slot are

for soundcards and TV tuners. I have also used it for extra USB2.0 and Firewire ports.

6. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Aside from air cards, you can get about everything else via USB or included.

7. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Agree....
    Including a USB 2.0 to 4-PIN Firewire IEEE 1394 cable.
    Which if you think about it is the ideal solution for models that are now shipping with no firewire port.