Miss Modern IE in Win? Yandex could be the solution

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by swanlee, Oct 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swanlee

swanlee Scribbler - Standard Member

So I'm also one of the rare people that loved Win 8.1, loved it alot on Tablets and pretty much hate the direction MS has gone in with win 10 nuking the gesture flow and removing Modern IE. Edge does not have a real full screen touch mode like modern IE does or even ad block support.

So I've been on a long search to find a Win 10 web browser that could replace the way modern IE works. I have tweaked and tried to make IE/Chrome/Opera/Firefox work in a full screen touch mode with no luck.

I stumbled across Yandex doing web searches and really like this browser. I have no affiliation with them but thought others might want to give it a try in Win 10 on their tablet.

It is still in Beta and their are a few issues closing tabs and going back to the home screen on a touch device. I pinged the support team and they got back to me that they are ware of it and working on it.

It is a pretty much a fullscreen/transparent browser based off a chrome/opera hybrid. Full featured, supports extensions, AD Block, Speed Dial Metro Home page. tabs are color coded at the bottom and are actually live tile tabs. Really an amazing design I'm super impressed.

https://browser.yandex.com/

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  2. dellaster

dellaster Non-Creative Plebe Senior Member

Tried it for a bit. Not ready for Prime Time with touch on W10. Maybe I'll try again in the future.

The name is somewhat unfortunate, constantly making me think it's called Yandere. I don't think I want a yandere browser. :p

Mayu's_Yandere_Face_1.png

3. swanlee

It has two bugs right now that prevent it from being 100% touchable.

Can't close out tabs with the X symbol and can't go back to the home page by tapping the top address bar. It is Beta but is very promising. Their support assured me they are aware of these exact issues and are going to fix it soon. They responded to my bug reports within a few hours.

I'm now using it as my default browser on my non touch desktops and really liking it.

4. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wow, what a great browser. I've avoided Win10 like the plague because it's so terrible in tablet functionality. Yandex seems not ready though, you can't click on tabs, can't open new tabs or close them with touch or the mouse. Kind of a huge deal breaker, I wonder why they would release it like that. Oh yeah, and can't use the address bar.

Good stuff though, gives me very high hopes to be able to use Win10 on my SP4, which I've been stressing about since I pick it up on Monday and didn't know whether I was going to downgrade to Win8 or just suffer through Win10.

5. spinedoc77

Been using this browser off and on today, it's decent but very buggy. Besides the other stuff already mentioned, streamed video seems very bad, slow and it kind of lags quite a bit. Also Yandex uses CPU like nothing else, I routinely see it spike to 100% and my SP3 fans are running full blast while using Yandex.

Sigh, too bad.

6. luc

luc Pen Pal - Newbie

Tried it today and seems that they have fixed it, I can click and touch on tabs, new tabs, close tabs, click to go to top page, etc everything working well.
    Haven't tried streaming video.
    It is touch friendly and I have to say it's UI is pretty nice.

7. spinedoc77

Nice, I'll have to give it a shot. I've become used to Edge, and with TouchMe Gesture Studio and AdFender installed for swipes, and adblocking it's quite usable.

Edit/update: Yandex looks much nicer, tabs work and they now allow you to put tabs on top instead of the bottom. But the same issue I had before is when Yandex is open the fans on my SP4 go nuts. It's definitely the best contender for browser on a touch tablet by far though.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  8. swanlee

The latest Beta has fixed all the touch related issues. So it is 100% touch usable now. The only major roadblock is launching Yandex in tablet mode requires you to swipe to the taskview and tap on it, seems to launch in the background in tablet mode.

I've reported that bug to them as well as suggested they create a fullscreen tablet mode where you can swipe out gui elements if you want to use them but then they would hide to give a full screen option.

Yandex is really really close to being able to replace Modern IE in Win 10. I use it as my everyday desktop browser to so it works great with mouse and keyboard.

9. spinedoc77

I've been very happy with Edge once I started using Ad Guard.

10. swanlee

It is still not touch friendly like modern IE was, to much screen space used on taskbars and GUI elements, no full screen mode, no touch UI for Favorites/Boomarks/Frequently visited sites, No swipe gestures to go back or forward on web pages. Sucks MS decided to nuke alot of gesture commands for touch devices in Win 10.

spinedoc77 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.