Miradisplay: A cheap and functional miracast adapter

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by seeyar, Apr 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. seeyar

seeyar Pen Pal - Newbie

I had a hassle free setup. Default output on the screen displays the connection status. It comes with a hardware switch to select between miracast and airplay. Airplay is the default, but can be changed to miracast on the setup page.

I tried with a Thinkpad 10 Windows 8.1 and Lumia 640 Windows 8.1 both of which worked flawlessly. Got the output to a HDMI-VGA converter too.

http://www.miradisplay.com/index.html. The device I have looks different though.

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Is there any advantage to using this over using samsung's built in "screen mirroring" mode? It takes 2 seconds to send a signal to my TV and my tablet or phone are instantly connected. Aren't there also free apps which use your home network to connect to your tv too? Does this simply make the signal stronger? I feel like I'm missing something.

3. seeyar

seeyar Pen Pal - Newbie

If your TV/monitor has built in miracast receiver, this device is unnecessary. This is for converting an otherwise wired connection to wireless. For example, a class room projector with a HDMI/VGA port become a wireless projector with this device attached. A powerpoint presentation can be done from a mobile phone. An old mobile phone and a monitor can be converted to a wireless security camera/baby monitor device etc., just for $10.

stoneseeker likes this.
  4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

ah, gotcha. thanks for explaining that.

5. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

How is lag on this? Can I use it to stream video/audio?

6. seeyar

seeyar Pen Pal - Newbie

With powerpoint slides and inking I would say around 250 millisecond delay and with video, around 500 millisecond delay. I tried video transmission from Lumia 640 and Thinkpad 10 using built in camera for a few minutes. Picture and sound got transmitted without any hiccup. This is the only device I ever used, hence cannot compare the quality with other devices.

7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

8. Michael Hernandez

Michael Hernandez Pen Pal - Newbie

What is the default wifi password for Miradisplay? I can't seem to connect using 6161113 and I just bought it brand new

9. seeyar

seeyar Pen Pal - Newbie

I had made successful wi-fi connection in addition to miracast, but don't remember exactly what I did. Did you try PSK on the main display?