Miix 710

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by sonichedgehog360, Sep 21, 2016.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

The Miix 710's launch video is live! Some takeaways:
    • Full HD+ display like Miix 700
    • Up to 9 hours battery life again
    • Slightly lighter at .75 kg, down from the Miix 700's .78 kg weight

Other leaked specs, courtesy of Tabletmonkeys, include:
    • A brighter 400 nit screen, up from the 300-nit screen of the Miix 700
    • A beefier and more power efficient Kaby Lake Core M processor, including the notably boosted base model processor 7y30, with a base frequency of 1 GHz and boost frequency of 2.6 Ghz; up from the 6y30's 900 MHz base and 2.2 Ghz base and boost frequencies and nearly comparable (and likely equal or better if including general IPC and Speedshift 2.0 performance enhancements) to the 6y54's base and boost frequencies of 1.1 GHz and 2.7 GHz
    http://tabletmonkeys.com/lenovo-miix-710-specs-and-images-12-intel-kaby-lake-tablet/

Just to illustrate the performance improvements, here is a Geekbench 4.0 comparison of the next-gen 7y30 and current-gen 6y54 processors:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Of the things I wanted improvements on the Miix 700, brightness wan't one of them. lol

Interesting that they lower the battery capacity from 46WHr down to 40Whr. That's quite a lot. I wonder if Kaby Lake is that much more efficient than Skylake?

Art_N00b and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  3. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Is that what you found it says for the WHr ratting on the battery when you opened yours up? NotebookCheck originally reported the Miix 700 as having a 41 WHr battery. If true, 46 WHr is humongously large to say the least and only dwalfed by the HP Elite x2 1011 G1's monstrous 54 WHr battery.

4. Shogmaster

On the battery itself it says: 5340mAH and 8.7V.

[​IMG]

EDIT:

Can't see crap and it's upside down. here's zoomed in pic.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  5. Shogmaster

Anyways, I usually have my Miix 700 at 25% brightness, lol. It literally starts to make me squint at 75%.

And I think the loss of weight is probably due to the drop in battery size. Don't know if all Miix700 is 46 WHr or not but mine apparently is. I got it from costco.com back in February for $650 (then got price matched down to 550).

This model is also a bit unusual for Miix 700 in that it came with Core M5 and 8GB of RAM. And didn't come with a pen like some later models.

6. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sorry, but I have to correct you. Your Miix 700 battery does not have 46 Wh and it does not have a voltage of 8.7 V.

If you would peel off that sticker, you would likely see something like "Maximum charging voltage: 8.7 V" and "Nominal voltage: 7.6 V" or something similar.

A little explainer regarding Li-Ion batteries:
    This battery uses two Li-Ion cells in series. If you connect battery cells in series, you multiply the voltage. If you connect them in parallel, the voltage stays the same, but you add the mAh. You can do either in series or parallel, or both combined, depending on what output voltage from the battery is needed.

A single Li-Ion battery cell has always a typical nominal voltage of around 3.7 V. This can vary a bit, so sometimes you have 3.6 V, or 3.85 V etc., but always around ~3.7 V. When a Li-Ion battery cell is fully charged, it has a voltage around 4.2 V, and can go down to around 3.0 V when it is fully discharged.
    In this case, the 8.7 V quote comes from a max. charging voltage of 4.35 V per cell, multiplied by the two in-series cells.

So, if we use an assumed "correct" nominal voltage of ~7.6 V for your two-cells-in-series battery and multiply it with the 5340 mAh rating, we get 40.584 Wh, which, surprise! surprise!, matches the Wh rating you will find for the Miix 700 all over the web. ;)

So, as a result based on what we know thus far, the Miix 710 and 700 will likely have the exact same batteries inside.

7. Shogmaster

I see. Very informative. I didn't have the balls to peel that sticker. :D

sonichedgehog360 and Bronsky like this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

+1

9. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Always at your service, my master ;)

10. Shogmaster

Not sure if I want to be anyone master, but I shall share my shog you from time to time.