Miix 510 owners.

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Sierra Ex, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Sierra Ex

Sierra Ex Pen Pal - Newbie

So I'm really interested in getting the miix 510. It's so much cheaper than a surface pro 4 with very similar specs, at least here In Australia. Basically there's only 2 things that I'm iffy about and holding me back from buying one straight away.

How is the hover distance kn the one for palm rejection? I know this was a common complaint with the miix 700. Do third part pens help with this? (Eg wacom bamboo smart)

And I saw that it may actually have a proper wacom digitizer panel instead of an elan, are you able to confirm this at all?

Thanks in advanced

2. aceflor

aceflor Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine is supposed to arrive today (monday in Europe) so I will report when it has arrived.

Edit: don't hold your breath. UPS lost it....

Edit 2: it is here. It's beautifully crafted, even the box is nice. It is now updating so I will tell you more in an hour or so. For those ordering from Europe, the spanish version has the stylus and the usb holder ring, plus a light sleeve. It will not protect it outside on its own, but it's a nice gesture and I guess it will do the job if transported in a backpack.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  3. aceflor

aceflor Pen Pal - Newbie

A wacom feel driver is pre-installed for the pen. Hover distance is more or less the same for the Lenovo included pen as for the Wacom Bamboo Smart, so 1cm approximately. I have had no problem whatsoever with palm rejection, whether in Nebo, OneNote, Lenovo's own Write it or Plumbago. The display resolution is more than good enough for me, but I have to mention reflections. And of course there's the fan noise, but I am not bothered by it. What I really don't like is the trackpad, but apart from this the keyboard is good. Big keys, big letters.

As often, updating to the Anniversary update was a pain as it had to go through all sorts of tiny updates before, and kept trying the 1607 although those tiny updates were not through and giving then an error message. I am used to these shenanigans so I just kept retrying until at last everything had been installed, including the 1607 one. Why would Lenovo not deliver the units with the Anniversary update already installed ?

I will now try to have as much work done as possible on the unit to test its battery (and because I am really late with work too).

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  4. Sierra Ex

well that sounds quite good, i don't care about fan noise, where ill be using it isn't exactly silent, as for the reflections, that can be easily fixed with matte screen protectors. think ill end up getting one later this week

5. mpindado

mpindado Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I have been struggling with finding more detailed info about the miix 510 before buying.
    I have these main doubts:
    - Is the usb type-c connector able for charging? The specs say it is a display port, so, you would need a USB-C to HDMI converter or a dock station similar to those for the new mackbook. For me this is specially important, as I would use this tablet for travelling and I would like to be able to use a power bank for charging on the usb-c.
    - How is the fan noise compared to a regular laptop? I have read several reviews, some of them complaining about the fan noise, but actually, this is not a tablet, this is a powerful computer. So reviews should not be taken too seriously...
    - Is the keyboard backlit? In my case it would be also the spanish keyboard

6. aceflor

aceflor Pen Pal - Newbie

So far, I have not been able to charge it through the USB-C connector. So my guess so far is no.

Re. the fan noise, really, I noticed it the first day but not again since. It's been on, for sure, but I don't notice it at all.

The keyboard is not backlit. And the trackpad is not very good, and that's an understatement. But the keyboard itself, apart from not being backlit, is brilliant. The keys are great, and although I first thought I was not going to like the higher position it can take, I have now found out I enjoy it very much and it is very ergonomic for me. I have small hands, but my husband (6ft 2" and big hands) finds it super too. I have the Spanish keyboard.

7. Sierra Ex

So i've had mine for about 5 days at this point, i've found the bottom right of the bezel gets rather hot while the screen is on even if there's no programs running, have you got the same thing? Not sure if it's just my unit, going to look at exchanging it for another one. it's uncomfortably hot. It's not the CPU according to speedfan.

8. aceflor

aceflor Pen Pal - Newbie

No, sorry, I cannot confirm this at all on my unit....It's not hot at all. The center part of the lower bezel gets mildly warm at most, but nothing like hot. I would hate that as I do use it half of the time on my lap. I'd suggest getting a replacement.