MIDI files won't play on EP ver. of WMP

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by Pete in Hyder, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Pete in Hyder

Pete in Hyder Z160 1984 $2800 33# My1st

Has anyone else noticed that the version of WMP on the EP won't play MIDI files? It goes through the motions like it is playing but no sound. I have other sound functions working just fine like WAV & MP3, even OGG vorbis (using MM instead of WMP) so the onboard sound is working fine. I just can't find how to impliment MIDI in this version of Windows Media Player (12.0.7600.16667)

Does anyone have any ideas how to get WMP for the EP so it will play MIDI files?

2. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

How about the CCCP codec pack? I don't recall if it played that format specifically , but it may

3. Pete in Hyder

I checked that codec. It does not include MIDI capabilities.

My Asus eee Windows Media Player (XP) plays MIDI files just fine. Any ideas why this newer version of WMP does not include that functionality?

I'm not running any other computers with Win7. Can anyone verify if ANY WMP version included with Win7 can play .mid files without adding more codecs?

If you want some examples of .mid files type MIDI into Wikipedia.

4. Pete in Hyder

Update: I just learded if I download the .mid file and then try to play it with WMP it plays just fine. But just clicking on it as a web link opens WMP, and it appears to go through all the motions, but nothing plays. This is only on the EP 121.

On all my other XP machines with Windows Media Player all web based links to .mid files play just fine.

I wonder why the difference?

5. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

when I tried playing the file that is up on Wikipedia it played it using VLC, and it seemed to be a .ogg file (a different type of low compression file, similar to .flac) maybe the issue is that the older Windows media player could play more formats (probably because the codecs have since been removed to avoid legal issues or whatever); the .mid file played fine in Windows Media Player.

6. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

do you have the link of the mid file problem?

7. Pete in Hyder

Below is a link to the Wikipedia MIDI page. You have to scrole down pretty far to see the drum sample .mid example, but maybe this link will work:

File:Drum sample.mid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cilck on the large musical note, it won't play directly on the EP using WMP, but it will on other WMP versions on my other computers.

8. CF77

I have Firefox ver 11a2 ..when I clicked the link , It plays, but using Quicktime plug-in. same in ie9 .... I have Quicktime. I downloaded a mid file and played in WMP come with EP121.ver #12.0-7601.17514 it just played without a hitch.

try get a mid file drag to right side of the WMP.

your version is not latest..

9. Pete in Hyder

Yes I can play downloaded .mid files in WMP. I just can't get them to play in WMP as a web link. At least not in the version of WMP that came with my EP 121. Can you play mid files which are web links without downloading them first, I mean with your newer version of WMP?

Maybe I should change the preferences for mid files to quicktime from WMP. Iwill try that but would still appreciate it if you could let me know if you can play mid links in WMP without downloading them first.

Thanks.

10. CF77