Microsoft's next Surface event is on October 2

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by alextrela182, Sep 8, 2018.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Spot on! The investment bankers have spoken, and Satya and his board have listened. Perhaps this has been the plan all along - jump start the OEM's so that Windows 8 didn't die on the vine, and now that Windows 10 is holding its own, let the real OEM's run the asylum.

Since it wasn't live streamed it was hard to tell, and often pictures have an editorial bent of their own, but the pictures accompanying the live blog showed a rather tired and reserved Panos Panay - a real shame - unless he finds greener pastures at Google or Apple...

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

so Windows Home...

3. dstrauss

I just read Paul Thurrott's "Premium Content" meager defense of deprecating Pro to Home and recommending we "stop worrying about nothing and move on...." Wrote a pretty nasty reply and cancelled my premium subscription - I've had it with apologists in all camps (Microsoft, Apple, Google):

"Paul, I beg to differ, and feel you are drinking the Microsoft KoolAid much like you have criticized Apple fanboys. This is not "...worrying about nothing and move on..." but a continuation of a pattern of deprecating the brand at every turn. I've been on the bandwagon since the first Surface Pro, owned the SP3, SP4, and Surface Book 2. Since the Surface Pro 4 there has been no meaningful development of the platform. Replacing processors nearly a year after other OEM's have started using them, is a travesty. We are already paying FAR TOO HIGH of a premium for these devices; they refuse to adopt industry standards (USB-C and Thunderbolt 3); never included an essential keyboard with the device (despite heralding them as the tablet that can replace a laptop); they then dropped the pen to accessory status; and now there is no Pro there either. This event barely warranted a press release to announce new processor upgrades - even though they are being coy about which SKU's of the i5 and i7 they are using (much like "which Nvidia" on the original Surface Book and now the Surface Studio 2 - which by the way is only getting a 7th generation Intel Core processor). It's time to stop making excuses for Microsoft and demand they make these reference designs or shut it down like Zune and Nokia."

4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I so agree with you on all this. Leading design and a clean crap-free windows were the reasons I bought my first surface pro to begin with!. Microsoft IS the standard for Windows and if anyone should be trying to push design and standards forward it's them. That was lesson that Apple figured out a long time ago when Jobs came back and killed off the Mac clones as well as greatly simplifying the product line.

Not to mention that it's in the dang name! How can you have a SURFACE PRO with a lesser OS?

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

So it's been 17 hours since yesterday's Event and everyone is bummed. Understandable, I guess.

But from another point of view, what did you expect? Suppose for example that Microsoft had pulled out the stops and made a massive upgrade to the Pro? With the "heavily re-engineered" Pro due in less than a year, would we now be complaining that Microsoft was milking its customer base a la Apple with flavor-of-the-year updates? I'm not worked up about it; yesterday's event was just an obligatory, incremental refresh. My take:
    • I couldn't watch the streaming in real time, but when I got home from work yesterday and started to catch up, the very first thing that struck me was how Panos looked. His fashion choices aside, he looked... I don't know... depleted? Sort of like he had pulled an all-nighter and hadn't bothered to clean up before coming on stage. Weird. And worrisome.
    • I don't think that Microsoft can be blamed for the (relative) loss of graphics power in the updated Pro; that's on Intel. At any given point in time, Microsoft can only select from the products that Intel offers. Integrating a different brand of processor (i.e. AMD) is probably a longer-term effort and more likely to be associated with "heavily re-engineering"... maybe... For an incremental refresh, I can't blame Microsoft for sticking with Intel.
    • And then there's this thing with USB-C. Lately, even I have opined that it's about time to make the switch, but is it really that big a deal for an incremental update? My (annoyingly large) Android phone uses USB-C, but that's about it. Everything else uses USB-A / Micro. And my external power sources can accommodate any type of connector interface.
    • Finally, I don't take issue with a lot of the comments made since yesterday. I was disappointed with the Studio 2 refresh, too. And I don't care about the Surface Laptop. And why the hell can't Microsoft just tell us when the Go LTE is going to hit the streets...!?!! Comments by @dstrauss and @thatcomicsguy a few posts back are well taken. I suppose we have reacted so strongly because we really believe in and support what Microsoft says they are trying to do and we now think that the execution leaves something to be desired...
    For me, yesterday's reveal has allowed me to firm up my plans for my next round of hardware purchases, so my expectations, such as they were, were satisfied...

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  6. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

To be fair, the drop in price (from $999 to $899) is likely due to the downgrade to Win10 Home. You can upgrade to Pro for $99. It's not bad if you have access to Pro license already from your school or company. But I agree it is pretty bad press. You can't have both ways (savings and Pro), I guess.

Marty likes this.
  7. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

It's not about going all the way USB-C ala Apple Macs, at least for me, it's about adding at least one USB-C port so that NEW devices and accessories can be added without also having buy USB-A dongles for them.

e.g. - My two 1TB USB 3 external hard drives are turning a decade old and I'd like to replace them for the sake of my backup data. I do NOT want to buy legacy USB-A drives for the next decade. So unless I wait until I replace my SB with something with USB-C, preferably TB3, it'll be dongle city, probably reducing transfer speeds and reliability.

I would certainly not go for one of these new Surface Pros or Laptops. It really is a case of one tiny little "insignificant" feature turning me off of a product line entirely. Fortunately, the Surface Book 2 will actually be an upgrade option because they did include a USB C port. A year ago. Even though supposedly USB-C is "a mess" and it's not yet time for that switch, according to many of the inteligencia. I'm not hearing complaints from people with Surface Book 2 about the inclusion, however... :rolleyes:

8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Let's say that all in all if Microsoft wanted to give me a free Surface Studio 2 I wouldn't say no...

9. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

What did we expect?!
    Everyone is bummed because this should have been so easy.. A minor refresh to newest processors and drop a USB-C on there like they did with surface book 2. That is what everyone expected. What everyone didn't expect was a downgrade.

What we got:
    -Gimped i7 Graphics (I guess you are right about this in that Intel isn't offering iris in 15 watt cpus for 8th gen... wow, thats disappointing. but microsoft still could have dropped the mobile 8th gen 28 watt cpu with iris graphics (the 8559U) and just lowered the tdp config.)
    -No USB-C (Why the inconsistency? Pro doesn't have it but SB2 refresh had it and even the GO does????)
    -Downgraded OS to HOME (Why? on the Surface PRO Microsoft literally makes the OS and it should costs them next to nothing extra to include it. Cash grab?)
    -No lower cost m3 version despite touting it as "cheapest surface pro yet"

I guess I should list the things I'm happy about..
    -quad core (nice)
    -black version (I'm glad they made this an option instead of mandatory as well. Choice is good)

With all the drawbacks considered, I have no reason to even want this device over my current SPro 2017 even if money were not an issue. Bad sign for sales.

sonichedgehog360 and dellaster like this.
  10. dstrauss

Time for desperate and futile gestures...

Bluto (dstrauss): Hey! What's all this laying around (bleep)?

Stork (lovelaptops): What the (bleep) are we supposed to do, ya moron?

D-Day (thatcomicsguy): [to Bluto] War's over, man. Microsoft dropped the big one.

Bluto: What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? (Bleep) no!

Otter (Bronsky): [to Boon] Germans?

Boon (mesosphere): Forget it, he's rolling.

Bluto: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...

[thinks hard of something to say]

Bluto: The tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go!

[Bluto runs out, alone; then returns]

Bluto: What the (bleep) happened to the TPC Reviewers I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? This could be the greatest night of our lives, but you're gonna let it be the worst. "Ooh, we're afraid to go with you Bluto, we might get in trouble." Well just kiss my (bleep) from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this. Microsoft, he's a dead man! Surface Laptop, dead! Surface Pro...

Otter: Dead! Bluto's right. Psychotic... but absolutely right. We gotta take these (bleep)s. Now we could do it with conventional weapons, but that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!

Bluto: We're just the guys to do it.

D-Day: [stands up]

Boon: [stands up] Let's do it.

Bluto: [shouting] "Let's do it"!