Microsoft's next Surface event is on October 2

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by alextrela182, Sep 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Panos takes the Surface Pro 2017 to the shop for upgrading...

[​IMG]

lovelaptops likes this.
  2. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

I think the worst part about all this is..... I haven't seen one of the major media outlets reporting on the problems that we are mentioning in this thread. Not one. (please please post links if you have evidence to the contrary as I would love to be corrected on this.) Its all sunshine and roses and OOOO black finish!

Oh and this gem from "The Verge":
    "Microsoft hosted an event in New York yesterday. A lot was announced, and to be completely honest, even I couldn't keep up. Thankfully, I work with very smart people, including Tom Warren, who is a genius about all things Microsoft. So settle in for some serious Surface and Windows talk." REALLY ASHLEY FROM THE VERGE.... COULDN'T KEEP UP WITH THIS MINOR UPDATE? But phrased "EVEN I" as if she had already achieved technology nirvana yet can't understand basic concepts...

Tech Journalism is on life support these days.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    efjay, Tams, dellaster and 2 others like this.
  3. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

They're not targeting people who have a SP 2017. SP6 is a very nice upgrade over SP3 or SP4 and is just a great machine in general (though premium priced in the extreme).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

It's a whole new trend!

upload_2018-10-3_16-11-31.png
    (Ars Technica)

lovelaptops likes this.
  5. Chris_Kez

I'm not a chip expert but my understanding is that we won't see Intel chips with integrated TB3 controllers until next year. I presume that means right now the controller is a separate add-on that requires additional engineering and cost to work in. I imagine Microsoft is waiting until the whole thing is integrated so they can build around a smaller, faster chip for the supposed big redesign that is coming. At that point they'll also have had half a year at least to tinker with a chip that has enough PCIe lanes to support both TB3 and Surface Connect (and of course the SSD, the keyboard, etc.)

6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

The word "pathetic" was coined specifically to describe that quote, and your remark in general. Kind of reminds me of much of the media's coverage of the 2016 elections in 2016 (snip) - to wit, getting trapped in non-news-news and false equivalencies, and other such problems that a very busy media can suffer from. Problem for the tech media is, they are not particularly busy at the moment and if anything can be said to explain their lack of prescience regarding MS and this announcement it's that there has been so little to report that perhaps they have too many cobwebs in their brains. If so, shake them out, media!!! Or I'll stop reading any tech journalism that hasn't been created on TPCR.com - and then I'll know I'm in deep trouble!

Thanks for the astute observation, @cbutters .

7. lovelaptops

Pardon my ignorance, but what of the numerous 2018 products with 8th gen Intel chips and multiple 40GB TB3 ports that are running gaming rigs for happy gamers throughout this great land of ours?

DRTigerlilly and dstrauss like this.
  8. lovelaptops

9. Chris_Kez

How many of them are 9mm thin tablets and include a proprietary connector that takes up as many lanes as a full TB3 port?

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I think you answered your own question - NONE have proprietary connectors, nor should Microsoft at this point...

efjay and DRTigerlilly like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.